Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Louver update and misc rantings

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:06 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Default Louver update and misc rantings

got a call yesterday from the dealer that my SHR louvers were finally in. i couldn't carve out time to go get then installed till the 28th though. I finally went out and scraped the 3M tape that stuck like crazy off the car, the damn flapping louver on the drivers side chipped the paint and scratched it around the qtr window.

I am all kinds of pissed about that. I bought the scratch and ding repair package with the car that ford offers, i hope they can fix it where you can't see the ships. the go all the way to the black undercoat on the car in four places. Can those sort of chips be brought back to surface level where you can't see them? i don't want them to just slap touch up paint on them and call it fixed.

i also ordered my koni yellow shocks today from Strano. Looking forward to those. they won't go straight away onto the car, i am waiting until i get the springs, HD mounts, and panhard next next month to have them put on.

i already mentioned that i had my shelby redline wheels here. The sensors just came in, but the tires didn't make it this week like I expected. Disappointed that I cant mount them up this weekend. hopefully next weekend I can.

edit: Well after reading the instructions that came with my sensors, the on-off procedure for the TMPS system is only part of the battle. you have to have the training tool to get the SJB to recognize the new sensors according to the instructions. i am going to try mounting them before ordering the tool, maybe it's one of those things Ford just wants you to think you have to do to get you to go to the dealer. Oh, and anyone on teh fence about the Koni yellows, teh discoutn right now while they are on sale is $150 off the set!

Last edited by ShaneM; 05-14-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Did you have some other louvers before you put on the SHRs? I know the Roush tend to rub into the paint. At least on mine they did.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I saw on eBay yesterday a pair of 2010 Grabber Blue SHR Louvers for $100 + $20 for shipping. I'm sure they are gone now.....that was a GREAT price!
I got mine on there for $40 and they were brand new! Sometimes it pays to look around.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:27 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Teh dealer installed these on the car to sweeten the deal. After they fell off for teh second tim ei told them i wanted something else. Tehy were roush louvers the dealer painted and they didn't prep them correctly so the tape won't stick to the louvers. I guess they have overspray all over teh ridges where the tape is supposed to hold. anyway, the SHR louvers is what i told them i wanted.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:28 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure about the newer Roush louvers for the 2010s, but on the older ones like mine the adhesive doesn't even touch the louvers. The adhesive holds a little bracket in place and the louver gets screwed in to the bracket. There's three of them on each louver. However, I found that the louvers still rub against the car and over time can rub through the clearcoat and scrape at the paint. You can't beat the look though, in my opinion, unless you go with the SHRs.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:49 PM
07blkgt62
1st Gear Member

please post a pic when the SHR louvers are installed. I'm on the fence and want to see more pics.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:26 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07blkgt62
please post a pic when the SHR louvers are installed. I'm on the fence and want to see more pics.
What's holding you back? I love mine! I do have more pictures if you want to see. You can also go to SHR website where they have a lot there for you to see too.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:56 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

im thinking SHR louvers now too....anywhere cheaper than $350?
Old 05-15-2010, 07:33 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Not that i have seen painted, you can get them unpainted for $199, I thnk I saw them on AM for that much and Am had a 10% discount code in a recent issue of MM&FF or 5.0 one, forget where I saw it.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:35 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VictoriaRR
I'm not sure about the newer Roush louvers for the 2010s, but on the older ones like mine the adhesive doesn't even touch the louvers. The adhesive holds a little bracket in place and the louver gets screwed in to the bracket. There's three of them on each louver. However, I found that the louvers still rub against the car and over time can rub through the clearcoat and scrape at the paint. You can't beat the look though, in my opinion, unless you go with the SHRs.
The 2010 louvers only use tape apperently. Teh roush instructions make no mention of the frame. FWIW i was fiding that at some angles i didn;t like the roush louvers. They stuck out a lot in 3/4 shots from teh front or rear liek the one in my sig. At the time i woudl have went SHR if the dealer had offered them. After the roush louvers came off twice i just told them that's what I wanted and they orderd them pre-painted for me.

Quick Reply: Louver update and misc rantings