Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ram Air Hood performance gains??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:14 PM
deltafool117
1st Gear Member

Default Ram Air Hood performance gains??

Alright, I have about $1500+ that I want to spend on my 06 mustang gt. I've been looking at true ram air hoods and they interest me. I have a K&N Cold Air Intake currently...so my question is, is it worth it to get a true Ram Air Hood (directs air over CAI). Honestly I don't wish to spend that much money on something that will not increase the performance at all. I spend alot of time on the highway, so it would def. get some use there.

Second question. If you don't think its worth it, what are some areas that would be worth it to increase performance? (supercharger is out of budget though!!) Thanks for any help!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:26 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

The ram air hood wont do squat for performance! looks nice though. you should spend your money on a tune and some gears if your looking for more performance.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:32 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Dump the K&N and get a bigger CAI. Like the new JLT 110mm and get an SCT tuner with tunes with it (from American Muscle - ask for Chris Rose to do the tuning).

Gears would be another great choice for performance (but you'll need that SCT to recalibrate the speedo) also LT headers.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:42 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

Yep, Ram Air hoods really do nothing performance wise, other than maybe help with heat...
Like SirKnightTG said, that JLT is a nice intake, Id get that and a tune... I prefer Brenspeed though.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Our engines can only use so much air. The tune is more critical anyway. Other than a CAI & tune, Nitrous is one option. Cams and LT's are probably the next bang-for-the-buck. After those, it's nickle and dime HP gains.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

everybody says the ram air hoods, dont give any performance, they may be right. but when i first installed mine, my spedometer was off for a bit till it recaalibrated itself, so it did something, never had it dynoed for any before or after shots, so im not sure, but it did something to mine...

side note, your going to need to shrink your signature, way to big, im sure a moderator will tell you soon, use a photo hosting website like photobucket to shrink it.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:50 PM
2011CS
1st Gear Member

I talked to one of the best tuners in Canada and he told me that ram air can cause turbulence in the air intake which can reduce performance.

I did it on my own car back in 07 cause I loved the look.

I did hate driving past semi's on the highway cause I thought the hood would rip off. I even added hood pins, but that hood would just yank when I drove past a big truck passing me the opposite direction.

Looking back?

Cold air is more dense, so there is power to be picked up depending on the reduction of intake temp.

Invest in a GOOD cold air induction and save your hood money for the other power mods that will give you bigger returns.

Jeff
Old 06-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Hood scoops add drag.
Drag decreases performance.
As others have said, save your money. Unless you add force induction and the scoop feeds air directly to the intercooler and/or engine, it's not going to do anything for you.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
Hood scoops add drag.
Drag decreases performance.
As others have said, save your money. Unless you add force induction and the scoop feeds air directly to the intercooler and/or engine, it's not going to do anything for you.
I think the design of the front of our mustangs causes enough drag for scoops not to make a difference. even stock hoods have the terrible hood float, just the nature of the S197.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:59 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

CAI+tune=600
Al. driveshaft=600
rear lower control arms=130
U/D pullies=170

That's what I've done so far atleast

Quick Reply: Ram Air Hood performance gains??