Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did They REALLY install my 4.10's? PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:44 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bilbob2
That makes no sense on the cool down periods.
In order to have a cool down period of 6 hrs you would have to have a point in which to START the cool down period. Meaning you drive so far THEN have it cool down for 6 hrs.

This would make sense as an example.... 500 mi of total calm driving for break in.
Drive no more than 100 mi then have a cool down period of 6 hours in between each 100 mi.

Just saying 3 cool down periods but no max time driving in between says bad instructions to me.
I don't think you understand the concept. The thing is you drive for about 15 min, enough for the gear and oil to get hot, then you let it cool down. Whether you have the time to do it or not is your own problem. Depends on if you want your gears to function properly or not. Again that is a precaution but it helps reduce any risks of ruining your gears. It does not consist of X amount of miles at this point. You take it easy for about 500 miles in total to slowly wean in your new gear set. That is what my installer told me and that's who I'll trust. Just enjoy your gears man, it's pointless now, you can't go back in time. Now you know for the future.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Chevy_Guy

Originally Posted by alkemist
I don't think you understand the concept. The thing is you drive for about 15 min, enough for the gear and oil to get hot, then you let it cool down. Whether you have the time to do it or not is your own problem. Depends on if you want your gears to function properly or not. Again that is a precaution but it helps reduce any risks of ruining your gears. It does not consist of X amount of miles at this point. You take it easy for about 500 miles in total to slowly wean in your new gear set. That is what my installer told me and that's who I'll trust. Just enjoy your gears man, it's pointless now, you can't go back in time. Now you know for the future.
I agree. You want to take the car out and drive it easy around town until everything is hot, then park it. We let them sit over night. Do that 3 times total and we also avoid high speed highway driving and beating the snot out of the car for about 500 miles total. We had a set of gears put in a 2006 corvette and it went strait to the dyno to get tuned. Gears were junk after about an hour on the dyno because they wern't heat cycled correctly.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

just make sure they checked the muffler bearings when they did the gear work. could cause an issue with the calibrominator for the wheel speed and throw off the RCM.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

Why don't we have to "heat cycle" gears on a new car?
Old 06-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Stkjock
just make sure they checked the muffler bearings when they did the gear work. could cause an issue with the calibrominator for the wheel speed and throw off the RCM.
LOL WTF?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Chevy_Guy

Originally Posted by Mister Roper
Why don't we have to "heat cycle" gears on a new car?
I asked that very same question and I was told that aftermarket gears are in some way different than the gears that come in brand new cars. I'm not sure if it's the material they are made out of or the process in which they are produced. Either way, I can tell you that not heat cycling a set of new gears will result in serious rear end noise and a very short life.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chevy_Guy
I asked that very same question and I was told that aftermarket gears are in some way different than the gears that come in brand new cars. I'm not sure if it's the material they are made out of or the process in which they are produced. Either way, I can tell you that not heat cycling a set of new gears will result in serious rear end noise and a very short life.
Wasn't that way with mine. Let me know when you're "sure".
Old 06-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Chevy_Guy

This is the only one I have video of. Not a Mustang but aftermarket gears none the less. Gears were installed and the car was driven 20 miles to the dyno to be tuned. Rear end made no noise before it was put on the dyno. I hour later this is the whine it made. You will hear it twards the end of the video. Gear set number 2 was installed and broke in properly and makes no noise.

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...rent=007-1.flv
Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

So you automatically attune it to the dyno?

How do you know it is not from the install not being quite on spot or the gears themselves or the bearings?

How do you know to attribute it to the dyno causing it FOR SURE?
Just because it made no whine before the dyno does not mean the noise could show up a little later and it not be from the dyno.

How many gear jobs have been done and cars been put on the dyno and run
and in order to tune for this or that and the gears have absolutely no whine at all? I'd say many.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 06-29-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Chevy_Guy

I would have no way to tell if it was a direct result of improper install or improper break in. However, the rearend was removed and sent to RPM Transmissions in Daleville Indiana and THEY have all the experiance and equipment to be VERY SURE it was a result of improper break in, or so that's what they told me.

Quick Reply: Did They REALLY install my 4.10's? PLEASE HELP