Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that went from canned/custom tunes to a dyno tune...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:35 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Both my email/canned tunes are pretty much spot on. My Bama 91 race tune A:F is 12.9:1 and my Brooksspeed tune is 12.5:1
Old 07-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I'm FI so it does not equate to NA.

I showed up at the dyno and made 395 hp and 450ish rwtq. I left with 475 HP 450ish tq.

A dyno tune can be adjusted over the entire RPM range.

Every car is different.

Dyno tuning is expensive because it is worth it.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
I would be sure the person tuning your car has experience with S197s. He may be knowledgabe with tuning S95s or lightnighs but when it comes to S197s he may be able to tune it but it will be ideal.
There are alot of people that think they are tuners. They beleive they can walk right from years of tuning cobras and SN95s to the S197. It's a completly different animal and requires some special training.

Almost any tuner can make a car make it's peak HP and TQ. But not all with be able to do it with great drivability, safety and customer satisfaction.

If you are going to let someone tune your car. Speak with other people with your similar set up and get their input.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:22 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
There are alot of people that think they are tuners. They beleive they can walk right from years of tuning cobras and SN95s to the S197. It's a completly different animal and requires some special training.

Almost any tuner can make a car make it's peak HP and TQ. But not all with be able to do it with great drivability, safety and customer satisfaction.

If you are going to let someone tune your car. Speak with other people with your similar set up and get their input.
There are a few local tuners but I would rather drive 150 miles and let Adam tune my car.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
There are a few local tuners but I would rather drive 150 miles and let Adam tune my car.
Adam is an absolute genius with a computer and a handheld tuner. He makes more money tuning than the rest of his shop. It's because he's good at it.

When Ford has a vehicle with drivability issues, often times Ford brings it in and has him diagnos and tune the vehicle.

Good tuner suaully are in high demand and are busier than they want to be. We fly ours from Florida to Cali for tuning annually. Well worth it.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:57 AM
"The S"
2nd Gear Member

I picked up with mine
Old 07-24-2010, 01:20 PM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

Simon, who tunes your car! Im in sacramento ! (well not right now ..damn you iraq)
Old 07-24-2010, 02:07 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

There is a dyno on my island but I dont know how much s197 experience the tuner has. It seems to be more of an import place. Would it be beneficial for me to do some dyno runs, gather that info and send it to a company like brenspeed, Chris (AM) etc... for a more custom tune? Is this even possible?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

"The-S", did you ever get final numbers for those mods?? I have the same mods as you except Hot Rod cams instead of Detroit Rockers and I only got 331whp but that was with an email Bama tune. The car is running RICH AS HELL, as in the smell of burned fuel will overwhelm you within 5 seconds of standing at the back of the car. I have to go get it re-dyno'd because the first time they didn't get my A/F ratios. Once I get them, hopefully Chris Rose can make me a better tune.

When I get the B302 and a supercharger, THEN i will spend the money to get it tuned properly. Gotta find someone in Eastern Carolina though...that could be rough.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:24 PM
"The S"
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lupo222
"The-S", did you ever get final numbers for those mods?? I have the same mods as you except Hot Rod cams instead of Detroit Rockers and I only got 331whp but that was with an email Bama tune. The car is running RICH AS HELL, as in the smell of burned fuel will overwhelm you within 5 seconds of standing at the back of the car. I have to go get it re-dyno'd because the first time they didn't get my A/F ratios. Once I get them, hopefully Chris Rose can make me a better tune.

When I get the B302 and a supercharger, THEN i will spend the money to get it tuned properly. Gotta find someone in Eastern Carolina though...that could be rough.

I cant figure out how to open .dnf files on my mac. Here is what I ended up with today. This graph compares my brenspeed email tune to the jaws racing dyno tune.

I am VERRY happy. I picked up 8tq at 3k which was nice.

Quick Reply: For those that went from canned/custom tunes to a dyno tune...