Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ambient Lighting - Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Default Ambient Lighting - Center Console

So my center console has seen better days i.e. scratched/faded a little. It's not noticeable to anyone but me, but since I'm very **** about these things I got to thinking. I saw on fordoemparts.net center consoles with the lighting in the cupholders for $90, but it said for '07-'09. Is there anyway to wire the lights to work in my '05? I e-mailed the site and they basically said they don't know if it's possible or not. I can't imagine it would be super hard but if it is, then I'd move onto something else. I know the lighting isn't for everyone, but I think it adds a nice touch and I'd be getting a new console on top of that.

Anyone done this/have any insight?
Old 08-08-2010, 05:39 PM
CWyler
3rd Gear Member

isnt it for use with mycolor?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Nah I don't think so, they're separate. The ambient lighting controls both the footwell lights and the cupholders. I'm just looking to do the cupholders now
Old 08-08-2010, 07:07 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

The ambient lighting is in more places than just the console tho.....there must be a link to the harness somewhere?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:28 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Alec,

Someone on here painted their center console gloss black, and it looked awesome. I didn't think I would like it, but it looked great! Just another option for you to consider...
Old 08-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
The ambient lighting is in more places than just the console tho.....there must be a link to the harness somewhere?
I thought it was just the center console cupholders and the footwell lights in the front and back and the Mycolor is seperate. And that's what I'm saying, there's gotta be somewhere to tap into for power

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
Alec,

Someone on here painted their center console gloss black, and it looked awesome. I didn't think I would like it, but it looked great! Just another option for you to consider...
I saw that, it did look really good. I'm just iffy on painting it since it's a high-wear area and am afraid that it would chip/scratch easily. Definitely an option. I might just try it with my current console, see what happens and if it looks bad or doesn't work out I could always order the one I was talking about above

P.S. I've been thinking hard about coming for the hood but the ~1,000 round trip to WV is a little daunting

Last edited by Alec; 08-08-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:05 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alec231236
P.S. I've been thinking hard about coming for the hood but the ~1,000 round trip to WV is a little daunting
Whoa~! Am I that far? Wow, I didn't realize.

Last hood I sold? The guy drove down here from MD without a hood on his car!! Bolted it right on in my driveway!! At midnight!! Lol!

Gotta love a mustang enthusiast.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
Whoa~! Am I that far? Wow, I didn't realize.

Last hood I sold? The guy drove down here from MD without a hood on his car!! Bolted it right on in my driveway!! At midnight!! Lol!

Gotta love a mustang enthusiast.
Haha yeah I mapquested from Phila to the center of WV and it was around that far. I don't think it would be a good idea to drive to WV w/o a hood, well it would as least be an adventure.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:43 AM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alec231236
I thought it was just the center console cupholders and the footwell lights in the front and back and the Mycolor is seperate. And that's what I'm saying, there's gotta be somewhere to tap into for power
Ambient Lighting is in the footwells, console, cupholders, and door panels. MyColor is customizable Ambient Lighting (you create custom colors by playing with the Red, Green, and Blue values, instead of using the standard color palette). MyColor is extensible into the gauge lighting and halo rings on some Mustangs as well.

I don't believe there's a harness for this unless your car is factory equipped for Ambient Lighting. Such a setup would also include the ambient lighting button used to switch colors. It looks like the far right button in the following picture, location varies by vehicle:

Last edited by FordEngineer; 08-09-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Ooh good to have someone of your caliber around. I rented a '09 when I was in Florida for a week (feel in love w/it and is the reason I bought my '05) and I only remembered it being the cupholders and footwells. I figured that you could somehow tap into the wires that run under the center console. Seems like it's complicated, I'll probably put the $$ elsewhere. Hmmm swaybars...

Quick Reply: Ambient Lighting - Center Console