Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod sounds more muffled than the radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:19 PM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

Default iPod sounds more muffled than the radio

Hey everybody posting an audio related question here.

Just so everyone knows, I have a Shaker 1000 in my car (sounds excellent no doubt!)

My concern with my iPod is it sounds good, no static or nothing. I was able to find a pretty good FM Transmitter from a friend after experiencing with MANY ****ty ones but this one, honestly... no static, very happy with it. Only problem is when I tune from the radio to my iPod FM station it almost sounds a bit more muffled and lower in sound, not by much but a little bit. The radio is way more crisp and almost sounds like theres a bit more treble to it. I'm wondering if this is my FM transmitter which I don't think it is because it works fairly well but was looking to see if anyone else notices this.

Are they're any cost-friendly iPod integrations anyone can point me to? (Because I'm sure and know they've been on here before. AUX setups for ex.)

My iPod transmitter is here: http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5208

Also if anyone has it, I can't change the stations on it. I think I can, the + and - buttons just tune the stations, not sure how to switch them around.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:59 PM
LB75

Doesn't the Shaker 1000 have the USB and Aux inputs?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The Shaker's on the 05 and 06's don't have the aux input. I bought a Shaker 500 out of an '08 to put into my g/f's '06 but I haven't gotten around to it yet and it will include wiring an aux jack to one of the plug harness'.

My g/f is using an FM transmitter type adapter for her Ipod and it doesn't sound bad but not as good as direct wire. You'll always lose some frequency response in the conversion to an RF signal and then demodulated back to audio.

There ARE adapters that I believe will make your existing Shaker compatible but I don't have the websites handy and I'm at work [looks over his shoulder]. Hopefully someone will provide a few links.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:14 PM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I have an 06. If anyone can throw some help my way with the conversion and try and get some AUX my way that would be excellent!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:23 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

it will never sound as good, they cut freq range down like nuke stated so you lose quality no matter what. some are better than others though.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 PM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
it will never sound as good, they cut freq range down like nuke stated so you lose quality no matter what. some are better than others though.
Will an aux input leave a true sound or be cut down also?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:41 PM
LB75

Originally Posted by datsyuk
Will an aux input leave a true sound or be cut down also?
An actual, physical AUX input will give you a true sound. Think of it as the difference between listening to a song on FM radio and then listening to the same song on CD. The RF transmission cuts down on the fidelity of the signal.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:41 PM
vixr
2nd Gear Member

there are some EQ tweaks in the ipod that may help improve the sound quality...try different settings. Also, dont turn the ipod volume to max...just 1/16 of an inch or so from max.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:45 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

When I had my '06 I put an 'iSimple' in and it sounded great! Near CD quality, or as close as the ipod gets anywhere. It moubted behind the radio, and the plug-in was routed behind the dash, and I ran it out between the 2 center vents. Got an Ipod mount for the dash. The thing I liked about it was that it let me control the iPod through the radio, or right from the iPod itself. With it being on the dash, it was not a hassle to use the iPod controls, which I liked, because I could still see the screen and everything. I could even play the few music videos I had on it I think they call it iSimple 'Gateway' now.
iPod sounds more muffled than the radio-hurst-shifter1.jpg

iPod sounds more muffled than the radio-hurst-shifter2.jpg

Last edited by HOTRODD77; 09-14-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 AM
datsyuk
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot guys.. vixr, my FM transmitter actually hides the volume bar on the ipod, it knows its an FM transmitter and its automatic. And Hotrod thanks I'll deffinetly check that out!

Quick Reply: iPod sounds more muffled than the radio