Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:43 AM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
I'll confess I didn't read any of the replies but here's my take on your original question. Ditch the FRPP CAI and get like a JLT for example with an SCT tuner, Ditch the BBK throttlebody and get the L&M, get the Steeda CMCV plates, ditch the shorty headers and get a set of long tubes. If you're able to buy a few items at a time it will also save on tune money.
thanks buddy, but im going with FRPP with the tune because it will fit best with gts-4 hood (i know i dint list it.) i cant get the long tubes due to emission laws and i want to keep my car street legal. according to most people ive talked to, bbk throtal worked best with the FRPP intake manifold. i do love the L&M throttle body but i its alot more cash for when i wont even be making 500hp. it is much better quality though..
i was however wounding if anyone knows anything about the hood?
http://www.trufiber.com/Trufiber_Mus...f10024-a53.htm
BBB doesn't have them on file and i cant seem to find anyone whos gotten it for trouble shooting.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:22 AM
MUSTANGLOVER73
3rd Gear Member

read this. Some people on here have had experience with it.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ts-4-hood.html
Old 10-21-2010, 09:17 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChrisIA
Ok, i recently got my first mustang. its a 4.6L 06 gt premium manual transmission. I'm looking to modify it over the winter while i wont be driving it. my problem is the very little i know about cars. i live in jersey where the emission laws are very tough, and i want to keep my car street legal.
It appears New Jersey is similar to CT in that the main basis for pass / fail looks like OBD2 Readyness and problem reporting.
http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/smog-check.php
It appears so long as you have a emissions friendly tune and full exhuast you should be fine. Emissions friendly being all sensors turned on and not throwing codes.

I'm going to be adding brembo slotted big brakes.
HUGE wast of money unless you are going to be autocrossing or street tracking the car often. Some people report problems with the ABS engaging under hard breaking as the breaking is much stronger but the ABS module is not calibrated for it. A practical upgrade to our breaks, such as pads, fluid and steel crossovers, yields very good results at a substantialy reduced cost. Unless you just want to pay a lot for flashy looking breaks.

and gt4 rims..
Not bad. Look here, not bad price:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/gt4-wheels.html

i want to do borla S-Type catback exhaust,
Will not add any performance. Cat back is all about sound so it falls under personal preference. Whatever sounds best to you is what you should get. If I were buying again right now, I would be looking at Pypes Super System. Take a look at it, but again, its all up to your ear. I like the girgle and depth.

Ford Racing CAI & SF3 Tuner tuned to 93 octane
not a bad setup. I saw you mention Fitting the GTS-4 hood also. We have the Steeda on my moms and we have a GTS-4 hood on that as well. Slight trimming of heat shield but well worth it.

Ford Racing High Performance Intake Manifold
Expensive with very mixed reviews. It was given a huge hype that is driving its sales, but most that have posted there dynos of it have shown significant low end loss for small high end gain. Not to mention the concern most owners are expressing about the "black lung."

BBK Twin 62mm Throttle Body, Stack Racing Mustang Throttle Body Spacer,
Ditch the spacer, its a paper weight. Most people do not benifit from the throttle body till they are flowing much more air. Thank cams and long tubes.

Ford Racing Natural Shorty Headers, and Steeda Billet Charge Motion Control Plates.
The shorty headers are not worth it. For the price you are hardly gaining anything over the stock manifolds. The Charge motion plates again yield mixed reviews and some low end loss. Also, they will not work on a aftermarket intake. They already have a delete build in to it. Like others have said, a Set of long tubes and high flow cats with a emissions friendly tune should do well. The guide says you can go to a shop and pay for a private inspection. Just go ask one of them what they will let you do. Ask specificaly if you do have cats and all sensors are on with no codes, will you pass.

I'm wondering if any of these are unnecessary (wont add any gain or help improve the life of my cars engine) or would make my car illegal. and if adding Ford Racing Hot Rod Performance Cams is a good idea after those upgrades.
See above, about the the cams though, Hot Rods are a good cam, but www.benspeed.com has the detroit rockers now that are like a updated version of the hot rods. They are making good power.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks buddy, but im going with FRPP with the tune because it will fit best with gts-4 hood (i know i dint list it.) i cant get the long tubes due to emission laws and i want to keep my car street legal. according to most people ive talked to, bbk throtal worked best with the FRPP intake manifold. i do love the L&M throttle body but i its alot more cash for when i wont even be making 500hp. it is much better quality though..
i was however wounding if anyone knows anything about the hood?
http://www.trufiber.com/Trufiber_Mus...f10024-a53.htm
BBB doesn't have them on file and i cant seem to find anyone whos gotten it for trouble shooting.

hers was good quality, cost $400 to prep, paint, installs. This pic was before we installed the hood pins. Like I said the Steeda intake fits nicely under it.

Now completly seperate from what you have been looking at. You are looking at spending a lot of money. With the amount of money you are looking at spending you are probably going to gain like 30HP. Maybe 50 if you get cams also. The thing is, you are easly spending enough to supercharge it with a safe reliable kit, and put yourself up by like 150hp. The other part is, if you go with these parts then later supercharge it, you will replace 90% of them and never make your money back. Look into these kits and consider wisely. They are not more then your looking to spend and are proven to work well. Also are listed as 50 street legal.
http://www.brenspeed.com/v3vortech.html
http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1194

Considering the money you are about to drop, these would be a much better choice.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:05 AM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

thanks a lot walton for all that info, and you deff affirmed my view of the gts-4 hood. i like the steeda more then the ford CIA, but it is mainly the shield that i really like about the ford. i had my doughs about the TB spacer and deff not going to get it now. as far as long tubes go they will not pass inspection in jersey. they were my first disappointment. thanks for the info on the intake manifold. do you know of a better one?
as far as price and supercharger go, i really just dont like forced induction. mainly cause i will sell this car sometime and with just bolt ons i should still be able to get decent sale but a supercharger no way. thacks for the cam info to. they will be a last add if im not getting a 5.0 by then lol.
you were a huge help. thank you for all the advice again walton.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

If you have strict emissions with visual inspections your best bet will be to look for carb approved. Currently there are no headers that are carb approved for an 06. Magnaflow has the only approved cat and it's not part of an assembly, it has to be welded in. Everything else you mentioned doesn't have the carb approval. Mufflers don't need to be certified. Carb certification is recognized by the feds as meeting fed emissions requirements.

As previously mentioned your best bet is forced induction. At present vortech, paxton, roush (M90 only), whipple, kb, and procharger all have carb approved kits for an 06. The caveat is they are only approved with the supplied tune.

Now the question is how strict is NJ really? You can do alot to your car and still pass yearly inspections, it all depends on what is checked and how strict they really are.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:40 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

there are a few member on here from NJ.. More then a few with very modified cars.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:38 PM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
there are a few member on here from NJ.. More then a few with very modified cars.
prob are but who know if they can pass. my brother has a moded out tiburon. he failed after he went straight pipe. he ended up paying someone to "pass". shorty headers he was alright but, i looked up a few that dint pass. the ford were looking like a good prospect. my mech said to steer clear of headers though, they cause to many problems even if their legal. they melted my bros transmission twice even with the rap on them.
im prob just gonna do the hood, CAI, throttle body, and cat-back exhaust. maybe cams in the future. i will do the rims and tires of course. im iffy on the cams even cause they will also really hurt resale as much as the supercharger.
in the future i really do want to get the 5.0!
Old 10-24-2010, 04:16 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

vid on "black lung"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQfRbIxUPLE
Old 10-24-2010, 09:21 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

my mech said to steer clear of headers though, they cause to many problems even if their legal. they melted my bros transmission twice even with the rap on them.
Um.... I assume you mean with the wrap on them as in header wrap. This is not your brothers Tiburon, our cars take long tube headers all day long and don't melt anything. Also, as you said, he failed once he went straight pipe, meaning he removed the cat. IIRC its not allowed anywhere under federal law to remove a cat from a car. In some states you get away with it because there is no inspection but in a state with inspection your asking to be failed.

Like I said, go to a certified shop and ask them if you would get failed for having them. Like I was saying before, I think your good so long as your not throwing codes and you have a emissions friendly tune. Or even, ask a shop that sells performance parts for stangs in NJ. I'm sure Brenspeed and American muscle have sold tuners for cars in NJ and can probably answer your questions.

Actually this is a fairly well known shop IN NJ. Call them and ask what you can legally do.
http://www.bigdaddyperformance.com/

Also, you have talked about the resale value for the next owner a few times... Do you not like the car? If you already think your going to get rid of it, dont bother modding it at all. If you like the car and want to make it yours, mod the hell out of it and keep it. Who cares about the next guy who MAY own it if its yours and your probably gonna drive it into the ground. As soon as I started to get attached to this stang I knew and started pouring lots of money into it. On a side note, there a certified Rouch installer and with that kit going for so cheap..... I'm just saying, a simple bolt on good for over 400HP and you will be able to show those 5.0s whats up.

Last edited by JDWalton; 10-24-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Ok, i recently got my first mustang. its a 4.6L 06 gt premium manual transmission. I'm looking to modify it over the winter while i wont be driving it.
Let's back up to the real beginning.

What exactly do you want to make better? More specifically, in what order of preference (engine/powertrain, chassis/dragstrip/handling/braking, other/appearance)?

Why wouldn't you be driving it during the winter? We don't get all that much snow (not like, say, Syracuse or Oswego, NY), so there are plenty of days where the roads are clear.

BTW, the only times I can remember where a picky visual failed one of my cars in NJ for any reason at all was once for the headlights not being "an approved type" and once for having a broken inside door handle. Both occurrences were 15 or more years ago, at the Cherry Hill state-run facility, which tends to be a little pickier than many (probably due to being located close to Camden).

Now that they make you wait down by the exit door to the inspection lanes it's harder to tell what they may be looking at/for.

Norm

Quick Reply: Mod help