Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent help needed - Mustang Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:23 PM
mukarakaplan

Unhappy Urgent help needed - Mustang Convertible

I've got a 2007 Mustang Convertible. The rear glass is about to fall and I took it to the shop. They said that the top needs to be replaced, and the cost is around $2000-4000. I don't have that kind of money right now, so I searched it online and found a page explaining how to glue the rear glass as a temporary solution. I think I'm gonna glue it until I save some money, but I'm not sure about how the rear glass was originally located. All I need is a close-up picture of the rear glass of a convertible Mustang of the same body type as 2007 (I guess 2005-2006-2007-2008-2009 are all the same). Could anyone with a convertible send me some close-up pictures of the rear glass??? I really need it soon please before the glass falls completely... I'd really appreciate it a lot!

My email address is mukarakaplan at yahoo dot com

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:43 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mukarakaplan
Could anyone with a convertible send me some close-up pictures of the rear glass??? I really need it soon please before the glass falls completely... I'd really appreciate it a lot!

My email address is mukarakaplan at yahoo dot com

Thanks!
Here's a closeup photo of the rear window. I'll send you the full size version to your email. Hope this helps. BTW, that price for your top seems really high. I'd shop around with car upholstery shops. I'll bet you can do a lot better than the price you were quoted.
Attached Thumbnails Urgent help needed - Mustang Convertible-rear-view-closeup.jpg  
Old 10-24-2010, 08:35 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

yep, a club member is having the same problem with his rear glass too. he took it to the dealership and they told him it would be around $1,500 because he has the vinyl top..the cloth top convertibles cost around $2,500

he was told he could hot glue it back together?? he said he was going to try this and let me know (that was last weekend). I haven't heard anything from him yet.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 PM
GlassVapor
2nd Gear Member

Here ya go, I just clicked black as a default

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/part...layCatalogid=2
Old 10-24-2010, 08:53 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

My sister paid a little over $1600.00 to have her tan vinyl top replaced. New one has a 5 year warranty. Her back window came loose from the top also and Ford refused to fix it.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:53 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

...and I assume you are completely out of warranty? Dang, I hope that does not happen to me. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:56 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GlassVapor
Here ya go, I just clicked black as a default

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/part...layCatalogid=2

Wow, that's cheap compared to other sites.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TPony
Wow, that's cheap compared to other sites.
I have purchased several items from Tousley and Steve over there has always been helpful and professional... Their shipping is reasonable and customer service is top notch. An example is how the part I was shipped was a relabeled old stock part of the P/N I ordered... It didn't have the change I needed. They are shipping me the newer part (that is the revised part) and enclosing a return label for the old stock... All the while he was friendly and helpful... I can't complain for how I am treated by them. The local Ford Dealership refuses to answer the phone, return messages, or even sell parts for less than the MSRP... Matter of fact the part I am referring to, the local dealership wanted more than the list price... Go figure.

Don
Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Taskiss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TPony
...and I assume you are completely out of warranty? Dang, I hope that does not happen to me. Let us know how it turns out.
I plan on getting a new Mustang next year and it will be my first convertible.

From what I have learned from reading everything I could find about the subject, the most common reason for a seal breaking this way is because of high pressure water spray from the car wash. I've also read about temperature extremes playing a part, but that seems to be more about vinyl and less for the cloth tops.

I read the Mustang manual for 2011 models and the only warning was about the car wash issue.

Using high water pressure or wand-type car washes against the convertible top and windows may cause water leaks and possible seal damage.

Last edited by Taskiss; 10-25-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
mukarakaplan

Originally Posted by Taskiss
From what I have learned from reading everything I could find about the subject, the most common reason for a seal breaking this way is because of high pressure water spray from the car wash. I've also read about temperature extremes playing a part, but that seems to be more about vinyl and less for the cloth tops.
I bought my Mustang brand new, and never had it car-washed. I heard that falling of the rear glass is a common problem with convertibles but it generally happens after about 10 years. Mine happened in 4 years. It must be the heat in Texas, or my converting the top a lot.

Quick Reply: Urgent help needed - Mustang Convertible