Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple is on, but there's a problem :/

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
People don't understand why i like to ride a motorcycle, when I have a perfectly good car to drive. I kindly refer to those people as MORONS!
Lol I have a motorcycle too and I get that as well.

The only other performance upgrade I did was the Ford Racing/Borla Stingers. That was done when I first got the car last year and I never heard this before the Whipple. This pulsing is also what I heard right before the pressure bottomed out on me that last time. (at least that didn't happen this time)

Besides the reasons I've already stated on why I didn't do this myself, I could only imagine what I'd be going through trying to get it fixed if I did the install. First the bad o-ring (which I may or may not have caught), then trying to get Ford to listen to me about the issues I was having - knowing my luck, they'd probably just say it was something that I did wrong...
Old 12-06-2010, 06:14 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

What did the shop say was causing the sound? At this point I wouldn't trust a word those clowns said since they botched your install so badly.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:02 AM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

I don't know. I emailed them the sound clip really late on Saturday night because I wasn't home all day, but they haven't written back. They could just be waiting to contact Ford Racing today, or maybe the sound clip didn't get through their email system. I'll just wait until this afternoon if they don't get back to me.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:08 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

IMO, post it on youtube and link it in here, you will get many more opinions.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 AM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by j0nx
What did the shop say was causing the sound? At this point I wouldn't trust a word those clowns said since they botched your install so badly.
He said that he'd have to try it on speakers better than his work ones tonight, but off the top of his head he asked if I might be hearing the driveshaft more now because I had the new shifter put in and I am more on edge about sounds with what has happened thus far. He said that the noise the driveshaft makes would be RPM-specific, so that could be why I am hearing it at 2500 RPMs.

I know that the shifters lead to more road noise, but the way the base is cutting through, I'm sure I would have heard this before if I was cruising down the highway because I drive with my radio off and just listen to the car a lot.

The other thing I came up with is that my car now has the FRPP tune, so I might not have cruised along at 80 at 2500 RPMs before, but I know I've cruied along in 3rd or 5th at 2500 RPMs at some point or another and I would've come across this.

I couldn't really watch my FP gauge, but I think it was wavering a bit too with the noise. I was told they can waver a little anyway, but it might be of some note in this instance. It wasn't much, but it was enough to be there. I will definitely have to try checking this again.

I am going to try and go out tonight when there is less traffic to get a better clip. I'll try doing a video to see how the sound comes across so I can put it on YouTube. (not sure if the sound will degrade with that though)
Old 12-06-2010, 02:02 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Okay; put it up on youtube. I am going to have to re-upload it when I get home on my wi-fi network to see if I can get better quality. There's some digital noise in there, but if you turn it up and pay attention to the base, you should be able to hear it.

I'm also getting an interior rattle from it that I haven't heard before that goes with the beat. Makes me feel like a ricer with a sound system.

It's very faint (if at all) in 3rd at 2500 RPMs, and non-existent in 2nd and 4th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIrQa...e_gdata_player

Is there anything else that can cause this, but only when I'm in 5th gear going just under 80? It actually seems to peak at around 2600 RPMs.

Last edited by chidrock; 12-06-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:05 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

well talking about drone, the source of all drone is the exhaust is matching some resonance frequency for your cabin, thats why if you cruise at that speed you feel like its amplifying, and annoyingly loud. Now you may have had that exhaust on for a while, but if you had the slightest bit of drone, or maybe not even sounding like drone to you before, you are now moving a significantly larger volume of air. Essentially turning the volume up. Now, is this your problem... who knows, but something to consider.

EDIT:
-------------------
You got the video up while I was posting, at the airport now, when I get where I'm going I'll have a listen again... Just cant hear anything here unless I want to feel like a jackass and turn it up.

Last edited by JDWalton; 12-06-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:59 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, you'll have to turn it up and have something that you could hear the bass on it.

I thought of drone, but I really don't think that is the answer here. It pulses. Every kind of drone I've dealt with is a steady hum, not one that goes on and off at the same RPMs.

No I have a slight rattle that comes and goes with the pulses that reminds me of a car driving by where they have too much base and everything's rattling. (although my noise is more like just a buzz)

Another way to describe the sound is kind of like driving down a highway with bumps every 10 yards or so, where you hear your tires thumping every so often, only this is more like a heartbeat.

*edit: I also have to mention that it's really weird that I never heard this noise until right before my fuel pressure bottomed out on me the last time I had the car. It really should have popped up somewhere in the time I drove the car after I got it back the first time. I drove it 3 hours home from the shop in PA and would've noticed this noise...

Last edited by chidrock; 12-06-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:06 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Put the stock axle backs on there, I bet your sound goes away.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:03 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Put the stock axle backs on there, I bet your sound goes away.
Would drone pulse like that? How come I didn't have that at all when I got the car back until right before the fuel pressure went?

I had an '05 v6 vert with headers, a pro-chamber and and dual MRTs that was awful. It never pulsed like that; the steady humming just got louder and louder.

I did notice on my way home the car was louder in general in 5th...Could there be anything that just affects one gear?

Quick Reply: Whipple is on, but there's a problem :/