Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple is on, but there's a problem :/

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:13 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

you use a lot more torque driving fifth gear, would go more with those deep exhuast pulses. Maybe my sound just isnt good enough on the laptop, but turned it all the way up and couldnt hear anything. Maybe a slight low range hum, but nothing turning the radio up would take care of.

Down shift so when your cruising your at like 4k rpm. If its the pump I would think you would still hear it if your just cruising along at the same speed and higher RPM. If its drone, the sound will go away. Granted, with the motor revved up it will be harder to hear, but that can answer your question.

While your at it, just for gigles, pull up the leather boot for your shifter. The whole square just pops up, no tools required. Look in at the base of the shifter, make sure the big rubber seal is there, and make sure its porperly seated to the transmission hump.

Last edited by JDWalton; 12-06-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I really couldn't hear anything in your video, but I agree with the shop about you hearing things or looking for problems.

Drone is specific to a certain rpm. It could also be coming from the motor and you didn't notice it until now, coincidence. These motors have certain spots in the rpm range where they will have some harmonic imbalance.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Down shift so when your cruising your at like 4k rpm. If its the pump I would think you would still hear it if your just cruising along at the same speed and higher RPM. If its drone, the sound will go away. Granted, with the motor revved up it will be harder to hear, but that can answer your question.
Exactly!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

If you watch the video, you have to ignore the loud wind noise and listen to the sound that lies underneath. It sounds almost like a washer machine going in the background.

After what I've been through I don't want to just write it off as drone if it wasn't there when the whipple was first put on. It only started seconds before the fuel pump's power went and I had to get towed home. The day before I drove home 3 hrs on the interstate and didn't hear anything like that. (I would've noticed because I drove with the radio off the whole way listening to the whine) Before that I drove there and back without the issue too.

Now I'm searching online for what I can find and it could be anything from a cracked manifold to motor mount issues to an exhaust leak.

To see if it helps, I am trying to upload the video with the higher bitrate now that I am home.

Edit - here's the higher res video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVljq...e_gdata_player

Last edited by chidrock; 12-06-2010 at 09:04 PM.