Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tire selection: my brain hurts...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:01 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Winter tire selection: my brain hurts...

Hi All,

I have a 2008 Mustang GT, I live in the North-East, and I will be driving it through the winter. The last two winters I have survived on the stock Pirellis and some weight in the trunk, but with 47k on those tires I've decided to buy real winter tires this year and then probably end up buying new summer tires (and maybe rims) when the season is over. I have 17" rims and plan on mounting the winter tires on them.

I've heard a ton of good things about the Bridgestone Blizzaks here on the forums, and so I'm heavily leaning toward them. TireRack.com says they have the LM-60 for $162/tire and the WS70 for $133/tire.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to winter tires (or tires at all for that matter). However, I've lived and driven in the North-East basically all my life, so I'd like to think I'm a competent winter driver. I'm not really as much interested in going a zillion mph in the winter time, but I also don't want to buy something that is incorrect and/or dangerous.

What do you guys think? Will I be okay with the WS70 or are the LM-60s worth the extra cash (and please give your reasons why)?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Zoom_H
1st Gear Member

get the WS70's, they will be leaps and bounds superior to the winter driving experience you had with all seasons in the years past.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:20 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I really liked my old Nokian Hakka 2's, now I run Hakka 5's on the rears, 2s out front

I wouldn't drive with anything else for the winter.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:40 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The Blizzaks are certainly on my list but don't pass checking out the Firestone WinterForce. It's a very good dedicated winter tire and considered a bargain compared to others. I put them on my son's Camry last winter, outside of Philly, and he absolutely couldn't tell me enough how many times he was moving when others were not.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:11 AM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Michelin X-ice 2. Can practically drive over snowbanks. They're quiet, handle great, and brake even better [which imo is most important].
Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have Dunlop WInter Sports and I like them a lot. Best handeling winter tire I've ever driven on.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Skullbussa
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I have Dunlop WInter Sports and I like them a lot. Best handeling winter tire I've ever driven on.
Ditto.

Remember, you're not going to be driving on the *snow* the entire time you have those tires on. The Dunlops are phenomenal if you can get them in your size.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

I'll third the Dunlops. I have been using them for years on a variety of cars and have had no problems.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I just picked up a set of Michelin X-ice 2 for my stock wheels. Got them last week, so far had a small hit of freezing rain but otherwise just cold weather. I thought they ran good so far and I still have good traction in dry cold weather running my 93 tune.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 AM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

I live in MA and know harsh winters as well. With a 93 tune and 4:10's my Michelin X-ice 2's drive my mustang like a 4x4 with absolutely no weight in the trunk. Good snow tires are all about the softness of the rubber NOT the aggressiveness of the tread pattern. When Michelin first introduced these tires they drove a car around an ice skating rink to show how well they grip. They're pricey but worth every penny.

Quick Reply: Winter tire selection: my brain hurts...