Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'd like one, but dealerships have other things on their mind.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:56 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

They always low ball you.. terribly no matter the car. When I went shopping for a 2009 mustang, they wanted to give me $800 trade in for my Toyota Corolla. I sold it for $3k private. With still having a lien on your car, you are kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:25 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5 Dot 0
What are you going to buy when you sell it?
OMG really?
Old 11-13-2010, 09:02 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by j0nx
... Tired of Ford 'quality'.
You better do some research on German quality then...
It sure isn't what it once was, and for a while now.

Some folks complain about the manual trannies in the new Stangs...
They're made in Germany or in China from German design, oops!
Old 11-13-2010, 09:54 PM
07gtdude
2nd Gear Member

Just sell it privately...it might be more of a pain in the butt but wouldn't an extra $4k+ plus be worth it? I did that with a Scion TC I had a few years ago and made $2700 more selling it privately than I would have if I would have traded it in at the stealership.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
You better do some research on German quality then...
It sure isn't what it once was, and for a while now.

Some folks complain about the manual trannies in the new Stangs...
They're made in Germany or in China from German design, oops!
My trans is complete junk and will be replaced in the spring with a five speed.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:05 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Try carmax and see what they offer you. Hell with that warranty and the car in good condition I would give you $24k for it if you were local and we knew each other. Used car market may have dried up in the past 12 months since I bought my 2010 mustang and maybe they are lowballing everyone these days. If that is the case then I will be delaying my audi purchase until my pig is almost paid off. I only owe $9700 on it anyway. I won't take less than $17500 in trade for it. I don't want a new car that bad that I am willing to take it in the pooper from the dealer for $10k of profit in his pocket. They give you $15k for it and then try to sell it to someone else for $24k. I don't think so.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:34 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Get out of town... start negotiating with dealers who are out of your area. May be able to make a deal that way.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:47 PM
nicksfoursix
1st Gear Member

One of the issues involving the vehicle trade-in pricing is whether on not the dealer has a desire to keep the vehicle and resell it through his used car department.
If he is keeping it for dealership resale, he has to consider reconditioning costs, "pac" (which is usually a fixed amount to pay for vehicle expenses such as advertising, inventory upkeep and sometimes commissions) and any other expenses. They typically look at what the want to retail the vehicle for on the lot, then subtract all of these expenses PLUS a profit amount to arrive at the trade-in offer to the owner.
The dealer MAY NOT want your trade-in on his lot. In this case you can take your Black Book or KBB calcuations and throw them out the window. This vehicle will be inspected for resale and then loaded onto a carrier on it's way to the auction. A dealer/used car manager will look at what your trade-in is selling for at the auction and whether the vehicle is "hot" (desireable) or "cold" (not desireable). Whatever the vehicle is selling for on at the auction is where he will start his calculations. from here, once again, he will deduct his expenses, desired profit and transportation costs. It is here where the trade-in offer will be presented to the potential customer.
If the market is flooded with a certain vehicle, this will drive down the trade-in value alone...
If you think your vehicle is worth what some publication says, then from there subtract the likeable costs that you could incur and see where and why the price offered for your trade is less than what you calculate.
Dealers also look at the profit margins with both cars. Many want top-dollar for their trade and then want to buy the new car near or at invoice..a dealer who has to pay premium dollar for a trade-in and sell a new car near cost is usually not excited. Another factor is that the 5.0 Mustangs are hot and dealers know that this is occuring for a short period of time (supply and demand). These vehicles can be sold at a premium because of their scarcity and the human factors that weaken the buyer (First guy at work or on his block with a new 5.0 Mustang, etc).
Respectfully. if you want premium trade-in dollars, you need to do all the work yourself.....ask anyone else to do it for you (unless it's a good friend) and expect to pay expenses to them in the form of a deflated trade-in amount.

Last edited by nicksfoursix; 11-14-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Go on the very last day of the month to a dealer that has the car you want.

That's the best possible deal day. They'll chase your *** outta the dealership once you start talking about buying. Follow you all the way to the car with thousand dollar checks and offers of floormats.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:54 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Trade-in is the biggest sucker play on the planet. They will automatically take off about $4,000 from the low blue book price on cars in that price range. That's how they make their money.
You saw how few new 5.0 Mustangs they had, right? They will hold onto them and sell to the first fool who can't wait to buy another car that he or she will never pay off.
Relax, pay off the loan and buy the 5.0 next year when the 2012's come out.

Quick Reply: I'd like one, but dealerships have other things on their mind.