Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Relay Fuse Keeps Blowing!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:33 AM
302_GT
1st Gear Member

If all else fails, make sure you didn't accidently strip one of the wires when you were cutting the tape off the factory harness. This is of coars if you used a razor blade to cut the tape. If you stripped the coating off two of the wires the connection could be causing a fuse to blow.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:28 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I think that would depend on whether or not the relay does have some sort of resistor that limits current. If not, I think the short could be anywhere along the line. Someone correct me if I am wrong. You could start checking the OHMs readings along the power lines to the fuel pump and see where you get some major resistance.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

If there truly is a short, you should get near 0 ohms as the reading between the hot line and ground, otherwise as stated you could just be looking at something trying to suck too much juice due to either increased resistance or something using that line past it´s rating.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I did use a razor blade and perhaps did cut some insulation. This is what I'm going to check for....this and possible pinching. Is a short going to be obvious with dark brown or black on the insulation? At one spot I saw what looked like discoloration but nothing big and I can't be sure. How would I use a volt-meter to check for shorts? Sorry I'm better with the mechanical stuff and not as electric savvy....

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 01:17 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Yes I'm going to check if I cut a wire BC I did use a razor blade. I'm checking for this and possible crimps. Now would a short be obvious with a brown or black color? I saw some discoloration on one wore but nothing major and idk if its anything.

Also would a volt meter help? How would I use it? Forgive my ignorance but I'm better with mechanical stuff and not as good with electric...

Thanks!

BTW I asked this before: could a bad fuel pump be shorting the fuse? I know that would be highly coincidental but I'm trying to cover the bases here
Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Assuming this is a short to ground, touching the frame or whatever, just set the digital multimeter to resistance measurement. And if it has it, which most newer ones do, put it on audible tone for short. Verify just by touching the 2 multimeter leads together, should hear the beeping, and should show as 0ohms on the meter.

Then just touch somewhere along the line that you believe to be shorted before where it's now lost the circuit in the fuse-box and a good ground point on the frame. It shows near 0, and/or beeps, then that's the prob bob.

Assuming this is the case, you could then just temporarily tape the leads down if you don't have alligator clips handy (or use the gf to hold 'em which they love), while you fiddle around trying to find where it's actually shorted. If the fuel pump itself is the issue, just remove the hot lead to verify.

Last edited by wayne613; 12-08-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:51 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

A multimeter can be invaluable in finding electrical problems. You may also notice heat in the wire around the area of the short, but you'd have to be a little lucky to touch the right spot in the area of the short before the lines cool off.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:12 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
A multimeter can be invaluable in finding electrical problems. You may also notice heat in the wire around the area of the short, but you'd have to be a little lucky to touch the right spot in the area of the short before the lines cool off.

I hope to god he can't verify it this way. After knowing you have an issue after blowing more than 1 fuse you should never hook power back up until you can at least try to solve it. Unless your intentionally trying to start a BBQ pit in your car.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Okay. So. Lol

I opened the wiring harness, checked the wires - they all looked good nothing obvious. I checked all the plugs and made sure the pins were okay. I used a multimeter AND a test light....NO short????

Turned on the key. BAM fuel pump turns on. Try it a few times and it keeps working and fuse is not blown. Also checked relay it looks ok. So I retaped the whole harness, reassembled the car and it fired up no problem. Ran well and fuse is still good.

So, should I be worried??????
Old 12-13-2010, 09:15 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT
So, should I be worried??????
probably not, but just be mentally prepared to call a tow truck sometime
late at night, when you are far from home.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Relay Fuse Keeps Blowing!!!!