Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about superchargers and my car's limits...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:09 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Default Questions about superchargers and my car's limits...

Hey guys,
I have a 2010 GT and I am considering the Roush M90 or a Saleen supercharger in the future but I have heard that any hp levels over 450 are seriously pushing it. I don't know if 435ish from the M90 will "be enough" for me so I was considering the Saleen because it is upgradable in the future and I also like the "clean" look of it once it's done.
On a related but separate note, does adding forged engine components actually increase power or simply increase the engine's tolerance for more power?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:55 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I believe it just beefs everything up but im not totally positve either. Im like u when it comes with a saleen and part of the reason why i bought one is b/c of the clean look. Boost on tap at any given time is nice although I just got it installed Dember 1st I havent had a chance to really see what its made of but so far im very pleased.

here is a pic of the installed saleen

http://img820.imageshack.us/i/010qt.jpg/
Old 12-09-2010, 11:19 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Unless you're stroking your engine or raising the compression while switching things over to forged, it doesn't increase power. Some will say that depending on the weight of the internals you may free up power or detract from it, but thats getting pretty far into the weeds for most folks.

My stock engine gave out under boost (though it was probably more due to RPM's than boost) so I built a new stroker motor with forged internals. The thread is in my sig if you'd like to see more about that.

Boost it, and have fun. But start putting money aside for the 'just in case' stuff.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

So your rods held together. How high did you spin that engine for that to happen?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:07 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Unless you're a die hard hp guy, 420whp, a strong clutch, 4.10s, and sticky tires would be more than enough for "most" folks.

Either The M90 or base Saleen kit can do that for you..
Old 12-10-2010, 12:16 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Both options are great options. And answering the question "will there be enough power for me" can only be answered by you. In the end the bottom line question is, can you afford it, if you blow your engine, your trans, your clutch etc..... If you truly can and are willing, go for the saleen with room to grow. If you want a safe setup that has you below the threshold, get the m90.
I have had mine for a month or so. Its amazing, I love it. I am at the threshold for stock internals so I plan to change out my TC for better transference of the power to the wheels.

I am not saying the saleen or even the whipple is not safe, dont misunderstand my statement. Its about the tune.........get a good tune.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:26 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

.. on a side note, if you could see the connecting rods on our motors, you'd be amazed how well they handle boost. I couldn't believe how dainty they were when I was taking apart my old motor lol
Old 12-10-2010, 01:18 AM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

I'm leaning heavily towards the roush because I'm a college student and I don't exactly have 10-15k layin around to pay for a sc and then a blown engine. Or I keep telling myself that I could pay a little more for the saleen and for now keep a large pulley on it to keep it within that magic 450tq limit and then in the future add forged components to my engine and slowly decrease my pulley size. Thoughts?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 AM
302_GT
1st Gear Member

The Roush kit will keep your warranty. 435 is a big step of from the base 315, plus when your ready to void your warranty companies like JDM, VMP, BBR and Brenspeed offer different pulley's, CAI kit's and tunes to get up to around the 500 hp.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:39 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
So your rods held together. How high did you spin that engine for that to happen?
If you're talking about me . . .

A rod actually broke, in two places. I wasn't spinning my engine past 6k, but I believe the previous owner was tracking the car. It has already been through at least one set of rear tires, and I bought it at like 5k miles.

Quick Reply: Questions about superchargers and my car's limits...