Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushbutton start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:23 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Default Pushbutton start

So, I like the idea of the pushbutton start, but the ford racing and stack versions still require a key in the cylinder, which make it gimicky and purely a dress-up item.
Surely there has got to be a way to fit the fiesta start system or another system that does not require the key in the cylinder. Has anyone figured out a way to do this yet?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
So, I like the idea of the pushbutton start, but the ford racing and stack versions still require a key in the cylinder, which make it gimicky and purely a dress-up item.
Surely there has got to be a way to fit the fiesta start system or another system that does not require the key in the cylinder. Has anyone figured out a way to do this yet?
I remember discodave installed a system on his 2010 that didn't require the key in the ignition. There's a thread on it somewhere and it wasn't a cheap mod

Edit: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...rt-button.html

Last edited by Alec; 12-30-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:46 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Thanks, I was going to post the link asfter searching it up, but I see you already have.
Yeah, it's not cheap, but I wish they would have been able to use the FR start button so it could fit in the power point on the center console. I wish I could see what the actual kit for the fiesta is composed of.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Yeah it would be nice for there to have been a factory push start. Seems like Ford skimped on some things but the S197 is still a large success in my mind. I like the AM one for novelty sake but $100 is a little much for essentially a toy.

I saw a Fiesta on the road for the first time yesterday. I'm generally not a fan of compact/hatchbacks whatsoever but Ford's on their game. Not a bad car
Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

If you can bypass the OEM PATS and dont mind not having
the locking steering wheel option, its possable.
The mechanicals and the PATS make it extremely difficult.
Replace the whole steering column with a I DID IT pushbutton column
It would be like just giving your stang to a knowledgeable thief.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:51 PM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Try this, I believe this is what your looking for. All you have is a RFID tag on your keys and when you aproach the car unlocks. When you get in you push a button, NO KEYS!!

http://www.digitalguarddog.com/mm5/m...ry_Code=a20000
Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

As a engineer that works on these things its not that simple. New cars with passive entry/keyless ignition it uses 4 antennas to determine where you are with your key (each door, trunk, and inside the car) which are all processed by a main hub to validate the key handshake. There are also other messages being sent to wheel lock and door locks that need to be managed. Then there are other problems that you will find like inadvertent unlocks, remote starts, and actual vehicle starting from RF interference. There is a surprisingly a lot of engineering that goes into those systems, and personally I don't like them. It causes more problems then they solve.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

In the Modded mustangs forum there is a guy screen named asiansensation that builds push button starts for mustangs. They finish really clean. I am not sure about the key as far as unlocking the steering but if you contact him I am sure he will custom make whatever you like
Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I don't really buy into the it's difficult thing. yes it is a few antennas, that wire back to a hub, which then puts out voltage or contact closures to various things.
the locks on the fiesta and mustang are electically the same they need 12 volts to activate the solenoid. The keyswitch in the mustang provides two inputs to the system, on and start. The PATS looks for the chip in the key head.
I couldn't care less if the doors automatically unlock, I just want the start button, so I want a module to replace the PATS with an RFID receiver for the keyfob(s) I will have. I'm have this feeling that the fiesta system would be capable of doing this.

The PATS receiver is in the steering column? Where are the codes for the keys stored, on the PATS receiver or in one of the computers?

I guess it doesn't matter, I probably won't get around to doing it anyway, but it almost makes me want to rent a fiesta to tear it apart and see what the system is composed of.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:14 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by danzcool
The PATS receiver is in the steering column? Where are the codes for the keys stored, on the PATS receiver or in one of the computers?

I guess it doesn't matter, I probably won't get around to doing it anyway, but it almost makes me want to rent a fiesta to tear it apart and see what the system is composed of.

The antenna is 'around' the lock in the steering column.

The PATS 'codes' are stored in the
Powertrain Control Module
in the under hood area.

PATS is all self contained in the PCM.
No valid 'codes' from the chip in the key
and the whole spanish oak processor will
not allow the engine to operate.

Read Grasshopper...

Quick Reply: Pushbutton start