Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what spark plugs to get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:15 AM
steve r
2nd Gear Member

Default what spark plugs to get?

Hi, I have a quick question. I have an 05 mustang gt with just an axleback exhaust. I plan on keeping it like this as well. I am about to hit 70k miles and I still have the original spark plugs. Im wondering what spark plugs should I get? I am aware of the spark plug problem and I am going to be bringing it to my local mustang shop to get done.. thanks!
Old 01-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

Go to the Ford parts department and tell the guy behind the counter you would like a set of plugs for a 05 GT, say thank you and pay for them.
Ford spends a lot of money getting the right plug for your car, which is kind of obvious (70,000)
Old 01-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Recon111
Go to the Ford parts department and tell the guy behind the counter you would like a set of plugs for a 05 GT, say thank you and pay for them.
Ford spends a lot of money getting the right plug for your car, which is kind of obvious (70,000)
Good advice if you want to continue worring about broken 2 piece plugs. I went with 1 piece Champions and never looked back. Car has been running great for about 45K miles since.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Recon111

BULL CRAP. They put the stock plugs back in because that is THEIR plug.
What the hell are you thinking?

HORRIBLE advice.
I dont give a rat's *** what ANYONE here says.

For plugs you have four options.
The Champion 7989 one piece plugs which eliminate the spark plug break problem in the future period, but have had some issues by some people as far as quality of sparrk.
The Brisk one pience which have also had some issues.
Or the Autoliite HT1 plugs for naturally aspirated engines or HT0's for F.I. cares. They are not one piece but their threads are made to be MUCH less likely to break. Just put a small amount of anti seize on the thread and part of the lower shaft and you will be fine.

I had the Champions and they have me trouble. I put the HT1's in and they have been perfect.
Just don't go back to the stock plugs. The anti seize will help them but not nearly as much as they help the HT1 or HT0's.

Do it right the first time. SCREW the stock plugs.

If you do this yourself you need to put anti sieze on the plugs that are IN the car at the time the night before you attempt to remove them.
This will greatly reduce the chance of the plugs breaking when you pull them. If you feel resistance or hear cracking STOP. move on to the next plug and see if it does the same or just screw it.... bite the bullet, and pay a dealership that is EXPERIENCED with this problem to help you.

DONT mess around on this or you could end up with a thousand dolllar
spark plug change.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:44 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

I went with Bosch platinum/iridium plugs and my car woke right up. I am giving them away for I need colder range nitrous plugs
Old 01-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by everett
I went with Bosch platinum/iridium plugs and my car woke right up. I am giving them away for I need colder range nitrous plugs
UNless you have another car, the 2000 Mustang is nothing like ours.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Autoliite HT1 plugs for naturally aspirated engines or HT0's for F.I..
I could be wrong, but aren't the motorcraft (Ford) plugs just re-labeled autolites?
Old 01-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I could be wrong, but aren't the motorcraft (Ford) plugs just re-labeled autolites?
Yup! Same plug. Look at 'em side by side.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

For the '11 Coyotes (5.0), has anyone attempted to pull out those plugs? Are the stock Coyote plugs just as prone to breaking as the 4.6L plugs?
I know for sure people have removed the Coyote plugs, primarily to put in different ones because they went forced induction or went with a performance tune that requires them to use different plugs.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:57 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
For the '11 Coyotes (5.0), has anyone attempted to pull out those plugs? Are the stock Coyote plugs just as prone to breaking as the 4.6L plugs?
I know for sure people have removed the Coyote plugs, primarily to put in different ones because they went forced induction or went with a performance tune that requires them to use different plugs.
I was wondering the same. Hopefully someone will give input on the subject. I'm hoping the new coyote's are lucky enough to have avoided this issue.

Quick Reply: what spark plugs to get?