Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit and Run

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Savage Penguin

As previously noted you should verify what sort of coverage may apply in the situation. Depending on your state/policy guidelines you may be able to claim that under uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage which will be on your one-way (or full if you have it). It is designed for hit-and-run situations, also in most cases a deductible will still apply... however it will be much lower than your standard comp/collision you've elected (normally around $250). It would be an NFA on your CLUE report, but unless you have several other claims of a similar nature, you wouldn't see any additional surcharge at your renewal. Then again if you've made any alterations to the vehicle, that may void coverage... regardless, sorry to hear about the situation, hope things work out for you.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:41 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Yeah, assuming you have full coverage, report it and take it to your insurance. They'll claim it under a "uninsured motorist claim" or something like that, and you're totally in the clear.

The same crap happened to me earlier this year. Blah.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:36 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Insurance companies really bank on making their profits larger by people fearing to make a claim. Common sense dictates that " If I pay insurance in case sh-t happens, and nothing happens, should I not get some of my money back" I wish the answer was yes.

The way insurance companies calculate your premium is by putting many variables together in a formula which then computes a dollar amount. The formula is something similar to this Age + Traffic record + Make and model of your car + Additional drivers + how many mustangs got in an accident the previous year + how many mustangs were total loss + how many mustangs were stolen + how long you been driving + how far you drive every day " all these factors go in a formula and then they give you a price. This explains why the price is different for everyone. Some variables you can control; however, other variables you can't control. Sorry if im blabbing, i just wanted to explain to those who dont know how the game goes.

PS; If your car is smashed by a baseball, you will have to pay a deductible. Sorry
Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 AM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

Wow, thanks for the info. guys. Truth be told, my father has been in insurance for 25 years himself but most of his expereince is with Ford company owned vehical claims so he may not be as familiar with public claims like mine. Im going to look into this advice. The quote ive been given, with discount, is $750..all labor and materials..which isnt bad but thats $750 of damage that I didnt do!!

Ill keep you guys updated...
Old 01-29-2011, 08:51 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adidas04
DIdn't have a great weekend....
Some idiot in an F-150 backed into the Mustang last night. They hit it hard enough that it ripped the rear facia into 2 pieces and nearly split the bumper cover in 2 also. I already have a gt500 rear facia to put on when the weather gets warmer but anyone know where i can find a new bumper cover for cheap?

(I have a high deductable and can get the work done for cheap or do it myself so i think ill end up paying out of pocket. And I did file a police report, one of the guys that lives near me saw the truck speed away after hitting the car)
Originally Posted by Nuke
Bad enough you were hit by not only another Ford driver but by an irresponsible Ford driver. Some people have no morals.
LOL, would this be called a "Ford on Ford vehicle-cide?"

As far as the insurance thing about uninsured drivers go and the omission of deductibles in those cases, do those laws extend down to the US?
I only ask because not all US-Canadian laws are 100% reciprocal.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
PS; If your car is smashed by a baseball, you will have to pay a deductible. Sorry
Curses. I guess I'll try to push it out myself the next time I have to take the trim panel down. Problem is, its right above the side airbag (which I wish I didn't have)
Old 01-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Recon111
2nd Gear Member

This is one for "Lessens learned"
Don't park your mustang or any vehicle that you want to keep nice, anyplace wear someone can door dig, scratch, back into you without actually trying to do so. My wife gets upset at me when we go to walmart and she has to walk 1/4 mile to the front door, but then I like my car just the way it is.
The guy in the F-150 probably didn't even know he did it.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:03 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Recon111
Don't park your mustang or any vehicle that you want to keep nice, anyplace wear someone can door dig, scratch, back into you without actually trying to do so. My wife gets upset at me when we go to walmart and she has to walk 1/4 mile to the front door, but then I like my car just the way it is.
Men you read my mind, cause my wife does the exact same thing when she parks right next to the entrance of any box store. I park far away as well, its just not worth the headache. Dents make my knees buckle !!!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:48 AM
jlc41
2nd Gear Member

Gentlemen have you thought of dropping the better half off at the front door then go park where ever you want?????
Old 01-29-2011, 11:17 AM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Recon111
I guarantee that I am one of the most **** guys on here about trying to keep this car perfect (and know there are many of us out there!). My current job requires 100% travel so rental properties are my best friend (I hate them). I park both of my cars in a safe location... just got unlucky on this one.

There is absolutely no way the woman driving the F-150 didnt know she hit the car. This impact is huge. The guy that witnessed the impact also watched her punch the throttle after she hit it... she knew exactly what she did.

Quick Reply: Hit and Run