Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long are you going to keep your stang?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Good point, either one you can make into a real bad ***.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:59 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Will keep mine until I finish college, and then maybe a new one (mustang or camaro) will share the driveway? Too far ahead, but I will probably spend my first pay stubs on a bigger house away from campus... =((((

Cant live next to frat row forever I guess...
Old 03-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Bigorangek9
1st Gear Member

I'm 44, this is my first mustang, I've always had many musclecars, mostly Pontiac. I've kept my cars for long periods of time. So, I plan on keeping mine for a very long time, it's not a daily driver so hopefully I won't wear it out too bad. Some think I'm kind of **** about keeping my vehicles clean, maintained, etc. I love to drive, wether it's my truck, my daily driver camry, or the mustang, if I have a steering wheel in front of me (or Harley handlebars) I'm happy. So once I find a vehicle I enjoy, they stay a long time.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
I love the car but I'm a classic hotrod guy. Why so soon? Because my mustang will continue to go down in value for the next 25 years, so when I go to trade it in, I want to get as much for it as possible. Next car will be a 1932 Ford Rod which I will not be building myself (will take too long).

See, if I don't do it before I go to college, I will be driving the stang through college (which is fine, I do really like this car). I will be going to college out west, and that is the perfect climate for it too. Classic hotrod + deserts = win.
Don't kid yourself, you will still have the car in 15 years while living in mom and dads basement
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
That's a shame but at least you had a good run owning three that you enjoyed.
Yeah I've had fun with these 3 stangs. This last 2010 was a complete impulse buy, but I bought it brand new and VERY cheap. Black book value for the thing is showing about $500 less than I paid for it right now, but we'll see if that holds true tomorrow. We own 4 cars, so in looking at whats in the "stable" and seeing gas prices soar, we're going to swap out 2 of them. I'm going to take a shot at getting a new Mini Cooper S as a replacement for the stang. The plan would be to drive that as my main driver because it'll get about 35mpg, and also be fun here in the mountains. We'll see, car dealers are usually scum, so who knows. Worst case I'll just hold onto the stang another year, no biggie, its a cool car. In that case I'll be driving my 15mpg 2010 Xterra around with a fuel tanker truck following behind.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

An indefinitely long time.

Pretty much as expected, that black '08 GT really has been "the right car at the right time".

I've never bought a car that I didn't expect we'd still want to have at least a year past the payments. Anything that didn't pass that little test, didn't get bought.

That's gone to "indefinitely" now that we're nearing retirement age and are in a position to avoid having to make payments from future full time employment salaries that aren't exactly guaranteed.

It's never mattered that something a little hotter or a little nicer might be coming out a year or two later.

See my sig for 5 of the 7 cars we've bought since 1970. I wish I still had one of the "missing" ones , and my wife really liked the other one (when its engine attempted self-digestion at 170,000 miles we parked it and eventually replaced it with the Mazda - which we both still actively enjoy driving).

Having a 2008 with fewer "nannies" than the newer cars are coming with is just another reason for keeping the Mustang as long as possible.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-14-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:51 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

When this one is paid for I'll be at my retirement. I plan on trading it in for a GT convert and taking it to Florida.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:19 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Unless Ford make a better looking Mustang for a similar price- mine stays with me permanently.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I've been prone to car-switching quite a bit in my past, but the one that has the best chance of sticking around is the white gt. I've had a lot of fun with that car. Every mustang I've ever owned has some sort of sentimental connotation to it....some I've just had to get rid of to let go of the past. The white gt has always been a source of good times.

I'd like to get down to owning just two cars. The upkeep of three (and at one time, four) is just too much.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:44 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Snakebite64
Don't kid yourself, you will still have the car in 15 years while living in mom and dads basement
Not really dude. I am pretty loaded. Plus, the career I am choosing is solid.

Ok, I'll stop hijacking the thread now lol

Last edited by MustangFirstCar; 03-14-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply: How long are you going to keep your stang?