Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those of you with Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:27 PM
08SilverStang
1st Gear Member

Default Those of you with Long Tube Headers

I am looking into buying some long tube headers for my car. I just purchased a Steeda CAI and SF3 tuner, and i'm looking to combine the tuner and CAI with some long tube headers.

Which long tube headers are worth buying? I'm leaning towards JBA Ceramic Coated. But, I would like to hear other guys opinions.

I was curious about how much the long tube headers will change the sound of my car. I am currently running a Bassani off road X pipe, and a Borla Stinger axleback. I'm afraid once I install long tube headers, my car will be way too loud! My car is loud now, and I like it that way, I just don't want it insanely loud.

Also, I was wondering if the power gains from the long tube headers were very noticeable. I have heard that about an additional 20 rwhp is expected.

Thanks for any input
Old 03-18-2011, 01:03 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Kooks, ARH, and Stainess Works are about the best you can get, and the cost reflects that.
JBA's are good too.
all those are stainless steel.
the next level down would be Mac and BBK, or Pypes.
Pypes are stainess, the Mac and BBK are not. athough BBK now has SS ones too.
ceramic coating is good for engine temps and helps them last longer.
I have BBK. they fit and work just fine.
without FI, the LT's will get you maybe around 15 rwhp.
the LT's wont make it that much louder. the o/r midpipe is what will make it a lot louder.
the LT's, IMO, keep a lower tone than stock manifolds and is louder at higher rpm's. but at lower rpms the loudness isn't significantly louder.
the LT's may even seem quieter when normal driving.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:06 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I'm using American Racing long tubes with high-flow cats and x, with Borlas.
Sounds REALLY GOOD. Power is nice. But the ARH's are pricey, but also are full long-tubes and not short like the Kooks.
I dont know how much they help.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:18 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Longtubes are loud for sure. I went with pypes brand as recommended by brenspeed when I inquired last year. Lots of people with JBA headers. Since you already have no cats I think the tone will just deepen.....a lot. You might get some trumpeting with those stingers. You will love the new overall feel. My times improved by two tenths after LTs. You doing the install?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:38 AM
MadMoose
2nd Gear Member

I didn't notice any more power with longtubes. and after two sets of blown gaskets im going back to the stock manifolds with an offroad h. I say save the money for a supercharger.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:56 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

I have the Pypes and have been happy. The install was straight forward with no headaches. For 600 bucks with a midpipe of your choice through Brenspeed was the way for me to go.

^^^MadMoose your problem with blowing the gaskets is a warped flange. I had the same problem on my driver side header. Took them both to a machine shop to get milled perfectly flat. Installed new Percys Seal 4 Good aluminum gaskets and they sealed up perfect.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Bassani Stainless LT here - no complaints at all! Well ... from the neighbors maybe
Old 03-18-2011, 06:45 PM
08SilverStang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Longtubes are loud for sure. I went with pypes brand as recommended by brenspeed when I inquired last year. Lots of people with JBA headers. Since you already have no cats I think the tone will just deepen.....a lot. You might get some trumpeting with those stingers. You will love the new overall feel. My times improved by two tenths after LTs. You doing the install?
Yes, my dad and I will be doing the install. I know it will be a real pain to install them, but there is no way i'm going to pay a shop to install them. There is nothing worse then spending 700 plus on them, and then paying a few hundred more to have them installed.

Yeah I already have trumpeting since i'm running an off road X with the Borla Stingers. I was hoping that the long tubes would help get rid of some of the trumpeting. But it sounds like it may get worse.

Well it sounds like they are worth it. I really want them for the power! But i'm sure my car will sound better too from what you guys are telling me
Old 03-18-2011, 06:46 PM
08SilverStang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Caution
Bassani Stainless LT here - no complaints at all! Well ... from the neighbors maybe
Haha, yeah thats another worry I have! My wife and I live in apartments right now, and my car is already pretty loud! So, i'm sure it will only get louder with the LT's.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM
08SilverStang
1st Gear Member

One other question:

Will my Bassani Off road X pipe work with all the Long tubes? Or will I have to customize my midpipe to connect to the LT's??

Quick Reply: Those of you with Long Tube Headers