Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misty the mustangs NON-official thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

500hp? On a v6? with heads, a super, and dual exhaust? I think you need to break down these numbers for us in regards to each bolt on. If you could get 500hp out of a v6 with heads and a supercharger, wouldn't you think you'd see more examples online? Or wouldn't you think these mustang magazines (5.0 mustangs and super fords as one example...) wouldn't make such a big deal out of 4.0s making 450hp?

Good luck with that build, I'm sure you'll be substantially quicker (provided you don't destroy your drivetrain as you haven't mentioned a 8.8 rear or new tranny...) but you won't see 500 with these bolt ons.

Better start saving for a v8!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:00 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

They are so cute at that age
I would second Nuke's Fubar comment.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:26 AM
07rousche4.0

well first off i dont like it when people sit here n call me a dumbass. if you arent going to be helpful or supportive you can exit the area. anyways im just going by what im told by the company im having do my car up. It will be tuned at their shop and all. The head mechanic was telling me with just the S2 procharger without the heads right now will have me hit about 440-450hp. I never said anything about rwhp and wont know till they get it on the dyno. It is a 5spd and i was looking into a new tranny but not sure exactly which to get and was wondering if a stage 2 clutch would be fine? I havent researched alot on what will give my pony what power but im pretty sure a S2 procharger on a stock v6 stang gets near 400hp at the crank. Im currently in afghan serving up my time so money isnt a problem. And for you people who laugh at me when i do this... It was all for you. I havent been on alot but i will earn my rep, anyone going to the carlisle car show in may? Thanks for the input and looking forward to more.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:30 AM
07rousche4.0

and yes right now i have the stock rear end, 2 wheel peel. 3.73. Im not going to sit here and hot rod it everywhere i go until i do fully upgrade the drivetrain i just need some opinions on trans and axle
Old 03-25-2011, 07:22 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07rousche4.0
well first off i dont like it when people sit here n call me a dumbass. if you arent going to be helpful or supportive you can exit the area. anyways im just going by what im told by the company im having do my car up. It will be tuned at their shop and all. The head mechanic was telling me with just the S2 procharger without the heads right now will have me hit about 440-450hp. I never said anything about rwhp and wont know till they get it on the dyno. It is a 5spd and i was looking into a new tranny but not sure exactly which to get and was wondering if a stage 2 clutch would be fine? I havent researched alot on what will give my pony what power but im pretty sure a S2 procharger on a stock v6 stang gets near 400hp at the crank. Im currently in afghan serving up my time so money isnt a problem. And for you people who laugh at me when i do this... It was all for you. I havent been on alot but i will earn my rep, anyone going to the carlisle car show in may? Thanks for the input and looking forward to more.
no one is calling you a dumbass , just a little hazing maybe . its all in good fun . all the new guys went through this . but the good news is that you actually learn from this . you won't have shops b.s. n you on what they can do , or blow smoke up your *** . possibly saving you time money and frustration . btw . . . its one wheel peel ,as the stock rear isn't posi
Old 03-25-2011, 07:40 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

No one is calling you a dumbass, we're just highly skeptical about where you are pulling your numbers from. Don't let these shops take you for a ride. First time I went to Jiffy Lube for an oil change at 16 years old they tried telling me that my oil was clumping up because I was running conventional and it had been 4000 miles (1k above suggested) since my last oil change. They thought I was some dumb high school kid who couldn't tell the difference between a drive shaft and a sway bar, so they figured they would try to charge me for an 80 dollar oil flush (conveniently on sale, btw). I told them, fill her up with conventional and hold the flush. I then watched the oil change from outside and made sure they put in the right amount of oil and replaced my filter.

Shops aren't what they used to be; if you don't have a trustworthy local guy, you better be skeptical about everything that comes out of their mouths. As for the 500hp quote: I wouldn't be that optimistic. However if in some way you do hit that magic number, I'll be waiting for the dyno sheets!

By the way, thank you for serving.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:52 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I agree, thanks for serving.

OP, I suggest that you hang out at the Mustang Collective...
The fastest V6 (10s cars) are there and those guys will give true advices and true numbers.

There is no aftermarket heads and cams worth a damn for the 4.0 so it would have to be all custom work to get remotely close to 500 ponies.
I don't know why aftermarket companies didn't invest in this because there was (still is) a real market/demand when those 4.0 Stangs came out.
Lots of folks wanted to make them go...

A custom twin turbo set up is your best bet to reach that mark, but still, not on a stock block and your T5 will only last minutes, lol.

Good luck.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:56 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Not calling you a dumbass, just speculating... You won't make 400-450 flywheel HP with a procharger like you're saying... There is plenty of guys around here running Vortechs @ 12psi making around 330-360rwhp which is about 400-415 crank HP just to give you an idea. If you plan on making numbers like that you need to go turbo. As far as the clutch ideally youre gonna want a 2+ or a 3+, most guys will speak from experience and tell you 3+!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:21 AM
07rousche4.0

my rear end was welded i guess, before i got it. when i do show off, i do leave 2 black strips with the 285's and they go all the way through 1st gear and chirp 2nd. this was just with the exhaust, cai and all that. i understand where you guys are coming from. supersix makes the stage 3 head/cams for the 4.0. they told me with forced induction there is a possible 110hp gain from it... dont sound very believable but when i do that im going to go ahead and redo everything inside with forged internals then up the boost. ive already got the procharger at the shop so its too late for a turbo. any suggestions are welcome. you guys are saying alot but none really helpin me but not to trust my shop. which is a very valid point but ive heard nothing but good things from them.

Quick Reply: Misty the mustangs NON-official thread