Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pissed about the FORD Spark Plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:30 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

I'm not so much disagreeing with you that ford made a screw up and yeah it does suck, but you're just taking it a little harder than it needs to be. If what they are saying is true and the part is within $100 to rent then just do it and be worry free. But almost every car will experience a problem that was a manufacturer screw up, they can't recall every little slip, they can only hope the next model fixes it. Hopefully you can just find the tool to fix it, and I doubt they'd fix it in warranty because the plug didn't really have a defect to effect the cars driveability.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Ford's Folly

I absolutely agree with the OP. I cannot believe SOMEBODY hasn't nailed Ford on this issue.
Somebody said it wasn't worth getting all worked up over a $50 part. I tried to change my plugs in my '06 GT at 40K miles. I followed the TSB and broke the second plug. I called AAA and had the car trucked to the selling dealer. Their "best engine man" proceeded to break off 5 more plugs. When I picked up the car, I was handed a bill for $640.
I went ballistic and wrote the owner of the dealership as well as Ford Customer Relations and screamed like a little bitch. I reminded them I had bought quite a number of brand new FORD vehicles, but this would be my last. To make a long story shorter, a little while later I took my car in for a minor recall issue and while sitting in the waiting area, the service manager came in and handed me a check for the TOTAL AMOUNT OF THE SPARK PLUG REPAIR. I have not heard of this happening to anybody else, but it happened to me.
I am now, and have been for the last 45K miles or so running the one piece Champion #7889 plugs without a single problem and will never go back to those 2 piece crap plugs. OP, I'm with you.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

^^^^ I think if we all stand together and confront Ford with this, we may have a case...there is a lot of people on this board, they would have to listen.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Been there done that. I knew about the plug issue on the Ford 4.6 and 5.4L engines (it's called research). Waited until my car had 10K on it and switched to the Champion 1 piece plugs. Did not have any issues during or after the swap, Never looking back, never thought about it since (except today). Replaced them 2 years ago on my '08 and I checked them about a year ago.

To the OP yes it sucks there is a POTENTIAL for that to happen to you, but it hasn't even happened to you so why are you so bent?? You may just be making a mountain out of mole hill in your case.

As for those screaming ford should do something about it, they did. Beginning in 01/2008 (Mine was built in 10/2007 :P they redesigned the head where the plug goes. The newer head uses a more traditional (one piece) plug design.

It may take a while for Ford to get around to those who had issues with broken plugs. Anyone remember the head gaskets on the 94/95 GT's or the cracking manifolds on the 97/98 (i think those were the years)? It took them a few years to come up with a reiumbursement plan.

Anyways, if you have ANY related work done to BROKEN spark plugs, KEEP THE RECEIPT. If you lose it or toss it, it's your own dayum fault if/when Ford starts refunding money and you don't have the proof that you were one of the unfortunate ones.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

I guess none of you know the f150 triton engines have had this problem for years and Ford sells a **** load more v8 trucks than v8 mustangs. Just Google it. If Ford hasn't done anything for the truck owners, we ain't getting jack. I'm not a lazy follower, I just know what battles are worth fighting.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
How many miles did you have when you did it?

I'm at 70k right now.
I did them at 18K...but the thing is... only so much carbon can get into the gap between the plug shield area and head...mine were pretty well carboned up...so I doubt higher mileage plugs would be anymore difficult...
Old 03-26-2011, 08:29 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

It is what is is. Ford messed up and fixed the issue by using one piece plugs a couple years later. For everyone previous, it's just a bump in the road. No one says you have to go back to a 2 piece plug. Replace and move on with life. I don't like it either and haven't changed plugs yet, but there's plenty of other things to worry about in life than spark plugs.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:45 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Reading this thread bought back the intense anger and rage i have for Ford and their dealership.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ng-idiots.html

Coles notes : Ford mechanics couldn't give a rats *** when changing plugs and don't follow torque values either....68 ft pounds to get them out

Re-reading this makes me wonder how they didn't strip the threads in the heads
Old 03-27-2011, 02:16 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Mental note: Motorcrap 2piece plugs (or any Motorcrap parts as a matter of fact) suck elephant pole.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:54 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Mental note: Motorcrap 2piece plugs (or any Motorcrap parts as a matter of fact) suck elephant pole.
True dat.

About the only recourse here is a class action suit. We got any lawyers on the board willing to take this on? I'm not saying I wont jump in and that Ford could have handled this better...just saying that its obvious they have zero intention of dealing with this without being forced to.

Last edited by wcgman; 03-27-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: add content

Quick Reply: Pissed about the FORD Spark Plugs!