Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:12 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Question Clutch slipping?

I have a 2005 5-speed and when I shift into second gear, it feels like there is a lag/loss of power, if I don't hit the shift point past a certain RPM range. When the lag starts in 2nd gear, sometimes the lag will continue when shifting into 3rd gear as well. This does not happen every time, but enough to be annoyed and concerned. Is this a sign that my clutch is starting to slip?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

You can do a quick test to see if the clutch is slipping.
With the car on a level surface, the brake pedal depressed, the shifter in neutral, and the engine running, depress the clutch pedal, place the shifter in 4th, and slowly release the clutch pedal.
If the engine stalls, the clutch should be ok.
If the engine keeps running, the clutch is slipping.

You may also notice the clutch chattering when taking off from a stop in 1st if it's slipping.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 AM
7gtthrilla
2nd Gear Member

Could be the clutch or maybe something with a fuel line if you are having a lot of lag
Old 06-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If the clutch is slipping, the tach needle will climb without much or any speedometer increase. Sometimes quite suddenly.

I would think you'd also hear or feel the engine revs get out of sync with your acceleration if this is actually the case.

If this is what's really happening in your car, you should have noticed this in the higher gears like 4th and 5th long before now.

Norm
Old 06-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The 4th gear stall test is a good one. Another thing you can do is go along at 40mph and put the car into 5th gear. Once in 5th stab the throttle. If your revs climb fast while the speedo barely moves then it's slipping. Both should climb slowly.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:37 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Hi kevinmalec,

You may want to consider having your Mustang diagnosed by the dealer if you are unable to determine if your clutch is slipping. They are in the best position to determine the cause of your issue and provide resolution. I hope your concern is resolved quickly.

~Natasha
Old 06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi kevinmalec,

You may want to consider having your Mustang diagnosed by the dealer if you are unable to determine if your clutch is slipping. They are in the best position to determine the cause of your issue and provide resolution. I hope your concern is resolved quickly.

~Natasha
Debatable...

Hope you get your issue resolved Kevin!
Old 06-10-2011, 01:34 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I appreciate everyones feedback!
During my lunch break, I tried taking off in 4th gear and it was about to stall out, so I put it back in neutral. When I drove back to work, the clutch seemed to be working fine, with very little lag in 2nd gear. I would assume if it was the clutch slipping, it would happen more regularly. I spoke to a guy at a local performance shop and he said for me to take it in and he will do a diagnostic to see if it is the clutch or something else.
I will drive on the highway in 5th gear and get on it, to see how the RPMs react. Also, the guy at the shop told me to drive up a steep hilll in 4th gear at low RPM and see what happens.
Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 06-10-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
Also, the guy at the shop told me to drive up a steep hilll in 4th gear at low RPM and see what happens.
Use a high enough rpm for the engine to be putting out decent torque. Find a long Interstate up-slope.

The test for clutch slippage is actually a test to see roughly how much torque it can hold, not how low the engine rpms have to be so that it won't slip. The added "benefit" to the test with higher rpms in 4th is that the aero drag will also be higher (which puts load on the engine and may "smoke out" a clutch slip problem without requiring WOT acceleration).

Norm
Old 06-11-2011, 09:24 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Update: I did several more test today and my clutch seems to be working fine. I drove up a slope going 40 miles an hour and put it into 5th gear, and when I punched it, the RPMS went up slow, same speed as the MPH increased. I did the same thing on the highway and the results were the same. Any ideas on what could cause the lag? I recently cleaned my throttle body and Mass Air Sensor to see if anything changes.

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping?