Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is the 6 speed MT on the new Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Will3212
1st Gear Member

Default How is the 6 speed MT on the new Mustang?

I'm planning to buy a 2012 Mustang GT premium 6mt in 2 months. I heard there is something called the "skip-shift" feature where it goes from 1st gear to 4th gear or something. I find this weird, how does it work? This will be my first stick shift car. I did take two 2 hours lessons driving stick on a honda accord 4 cylinder. Any suggestions about the 2011 or 2012 mustang gt's shifting?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 AM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

If you're at a certain percentage of throttle and at a certain range of speed, the car will advise you to shift to 4th and sort of "block" you out. It's Ford wacky idea of forcing a manual driver to save gas. I just don't understand it. There is a reason why people buy stick.

Anyways, some people have said that they can just force it into 2nd regardless. Also, skip-shift can be easily eliminated now, so don't worry about it.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 AM
Will3212
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
If you're at a certain percentage of throttle and at a certain range of speed, the car will advise you to shift to 4th and sort of "block" you out. It's Ford wacky idea of forcing a manual driver to save gas. I just don't understand it. There is a reason why people buy stick.

Anyways, some people have said that they can just force it into 2nd regardless. Also, skip-shift can be easily eliminated now, so don't worry about it.
how do you eliminate it? by the push of a button or what? also, can you please explain to me when it exactly kicks in? like lets say you're in first and you shift above 5000 rpm it kicks in or what?

Last edited by Will3212; 04-04-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:23 AM
MustangBob

According to this blog the following conditions are required for skip shift to be enabled.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...-criteria.html

Skip shift enablement criteria:

Warm engine (greater than 170 degrees F coolant)
Start from a dead stop (approx 1 to 2 secs to stabilize idle)
Vehicle speed between 15 and 19 mph
Throttle pedal less than 25% open (but not closed pedal)
Engine speed greater than 1200 rpm
1st gear validated
Old 04-04-2011, 07:38 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangBob
According to this blog the following conditions are required for skip shift to be enabled.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...-criteria.html

Skip shift enablement criteria:

Warm engine (greater than 170 degrees F coolant)
Start from a dead stop (approx 1 to 2 secs to stabilize idle)
Vehicle speed between 15 and 19 mph
Throttle pedal less than 25% open (but not closed pedal)
Engine speed greater than 1200 rpm
1st gear validated
Who actually keeps their throttle pedal less than 25%? Geez!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

you can unplug the solenoid from underneath the vehicle. Doesn't set a fault or anything.

It is implemented because it avoids the gas guzzler tax which saves you money.

Otherwise the manual is great, light clutch and short and tight shift pattern.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Chevrolet added the skip-shift crap to the C5 Corvette in 1998 as a way to bump up the EPA mileage rating. Among the enthusiast crowd the skip-shift eliminator mod is almost universally the first thing done to a Vette. In fact, in today's world its almost impossible to buy a used Corvette without the mod. As I understand it, in the Corvette's case, the "mod" is some sort of electronic gizmo that is installed. No idea if the equivalent is available for the Mustang. Its one of those lame, politically correct, CYA things company's are forced to do these days.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Will3212
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Chevrolet added the skip-shift crap to the C5 Corvette in 1998 as a way to bump up the EPA mileage rating. Among the enthusiast crowd the skip-shift eliminator mod is almost universally the first thing done to a Vette. In fact, in today's world its almost impossible to buy a used Corvette without the mod. As I understand it, in the Corvette's case, the "mod" is some sort of electronic gizmo that is installed. No idea if the equivalent is available for the Mustang. Its one of those lame, politically correct, CYA things company's are forced to do these days.
can you tell me exactly what it does? alright so you're driving slowly in 1st gear it kicks in, then what? does the shift **** physically move itself into 4th gear? if this is the case it's weird and not to mention kind of creepy. If you force it into 2nd what happens? grinding? so when it gets from 1st-4th by itself can you just shift out of 4th and goto lets say 2
Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

It's nothing magical. Test drive one and find out. Most people have to try and get it to happen.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

Some have problems with rough shifting in cold areas. im in ca and when its cold or first few miles the shifting is rough, like any manual. if your in a cold climate, under 30 degrees your going to have to find a tranny fluid that works better in cold climate's, ford is working on it. as far as skip shift. any tune will delete it or u can disconnect it. it saves you $500 in gas taxes.....

Quick Reply: How is the 6 speed MT on the new Mustang?