Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought a 2008 GT, Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Default Just Bought a 2008 GT, Few Questions

Hello everyone,

I was originally over in the 4.6L section when I was looking at a 96 that was complete junk. I kind of took a big leap from that one, huh? Anyways, I just bought an 08 Mustang GT this last Saturday and I've noticed a few things that I'd like to ask for peace of mind more than anything.

It's my first manual. I know how to drive one though. Black 2008 Mustang GT 5-Speed, 36,700 miles. All stock. Bought from a carmax dealer that was a local trade, and I don't know anything about the previous driver.

The main thing I've noticed is the notchiness going into second gear, almost as if it's grabbing on something just before going in. It goes in, but I feel the notch before it does. I notice it on other gears, but more often on second. Is this normal? From a quick search, it seems like it might be. It hasn't grinded, but there was one moment where I thought it felt like it did and the revs kind of went all weird, but that could've been me as that was the first day I had it. It should be added that I drove an 09 GT with 5k miles and the shifter felt very similar, if not exactly the same.

Second, it's happened twice now where it completely blocks me out of reverse. I'm aware there's a lockout, and it would keep me locked out even after going into first, third, whatever. I tried going an inch forward in first, then it let me in. Normal as well?

I'm thinking someone might recommend a tranny fluid change. What do you guys recommend? Royal Purple?

Final thing is there's a rattle that's driving me nuts that seems to be coming from the rear driver's side C-Pillar area, anyone have experience with this? I've tried finding the exact source with no luck.

Anyways, I really do love the car. I'm seriously ecstatic. Anyone who reads all this and responds, thank you so much, it means a lot. If this is the wrong forum for this, bare with me, and please move it. I'm still figuring everything out. Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by HxCGuitars; 04-04-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Adding a little info brought forward by a reply, Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:27 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

welcome to MF.
there should not be difficulty with the shifting like you explained.
i don't think changing the tranny fluid would help, sounds more like a shifter problem.
you could change it out to a short throw shifter like MGW or Pro 5.0
did the previous owner race it, or bang the gears when driving?
and not really sure about the rattle in the C pillar area, could be something loose, idk.
but my solution to rattles is make the exhaust louder so you can't hear it.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:34 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Thank you for the quick reply!

I should have mentioned this in the original post, but immediately after test driving I drove an 09 GT with 5k miles and it felt nearly exactly the same, so I thought it was fine but I wanted to make sure...now that you say that, though, I'm not so sure. Also, as for the previous owner, I have no idea. I bought it from a carmax dealer and it was a local trade.

Yeah! I'm planning on buying an axle back at some point. Money's a bit tight as I just turned 18 and payments aren't exactly low, so once I get the money together that's where it'll be going, besides the girlfriend.

But yeah, just that I drove the new one and it felt similar confused me. I'm getting a thorough inspection done Wednesday, I just wanted some opinions on here before I went.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you may just need more time getting used to the Mustang.
now that i think about it, even my Pro 5.0 shifter is hard getting into 1st and reverse.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:23 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Once again, thank you. After doing a few more searches I may try a fluid change at some point. Any more opinions would be greatly appreciated! I'm loving the car though. I laid down a good strip of rubber going into second today, so that illustrates it definitely goes into gear fine, I just feel that notch during normal driving. BTW, I'm not the kind to beat the crap outta cars, just had a spirited run to get out of the way.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:29 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Unfortunately rattles are actually pretty common in the s197. Is it coming from interior or exterior? I know the pillar cover by the rear window may come loose and vibrate if you have the bass up too high from the stereo.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:47 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Unfortunately rattles are actually pretty common in the s197. Is it coming from interior or exterior? I know the pillar cover by the rear window may come loose and vibrate if you have the bass up too high from the stereo.
It seems to be coming from the interior. I've crawled into the backseat and knocked on the trim piece a few times. It's there regardless of if music's playing or not. It seems to be worst at idle, and it definitely goes off the vibrations of the car as when it's off it's not there.

I've even crawled in the trunk, and after moving around some of the carpeting, I can silence it for a few seconds by grabbing onto the long bolt coming though the top of the trunk at the end of the c-pillar, but that's it. If I go out and tap on the rear window in the area, you can hear it coming from the inside.

Basically, definitely inside, goes off the vibrations of the car, especially at idle.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Its a mustang so your gonna have some rattles, but I understand I hate em too. Congrats on a great purchase. You will love your new car. This site will cost you though.....mods are very addicting. Take your time before you buy anything, do lots of research and it will pay off in the end by saving you money. You have a hellova car for an 18 year old. Be smart when driving, she'll get loose real quick at times.............we all hate reading the "wrecked stang" threads.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:00 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Its a mustang so your gonna have some rattles, but I understand I hate em too. Congrats on a great purchase. You will love your new car. This site will cost you though.....mods are very addicting. Take your time before you buy anything, do lots of research and it will pay off in the end by saving you money. You have a hellova car for an 18 year old. Be smart when driving, she'll get loose real quick at times.............we all hate reading the "wrecked stang" threads.
Thank you! And oh yeah, trust me. First day back from spring break had a lot of kids freaking out over my car, rest of senior year will be fun and interesting. I'm parking in the back of the lot by my friends 2011 F250, I'll tell you that much. It's definitely a hell of a car for a kid my age, I know for a fact I'm beyond lucky that I can do this, and I'm very thankful. I'm planning on this thing lasting me for a good long time.

Right now I'm just hoping I can get to know if the notchiness is normal or not, from what I can tell it's really nothing to worry about, I just want to make sure.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Congrats with the new car & enjoy it!

It could not hurt to change the tranny fluid, however, check the service manual for the recommended miliage to do this or you might be spending money not needed. For the most part the shifters do "feel" notchy on these cars. I do have an aftermarket (Hurst) shifter on both my cars & while the distance gets shorter, I think for the most part my aftermarket short throw shifter is notchier than my stock...lol

As far as the rattle, well......just look for a loose piece of trim, a warn rubber bushing, etc....I'm sure it's nothing major, but most cars develop rattles, squeeks over time.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Just Bought a 2008 GT, Few Questions