Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving a GT In Snow/Slush

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 05:49 PM
OCLandspeeder
1st Gear Member

Default Driving a GT In Snow/Slush

I'm from SoCal. Nuff said!

Driving home late on a very cold Saturday night. About a block from my house the rain turned to hail and the road filled up with snow/slush. Two vehicles in front of me, a Volvo and an SUV, slowed and the SUV (leading) slowed to a crawl. I mean he slowed to a crawl. I wanted to kill the driver! We turned to go uphill for the last 50 feet before my house and the SUV driver just stopped. I mean the SOB just stopped from fear factor, stupidity, or whatever but the sucker just stopped in the middle of the freakin' road!

So, there we were, stopped in an uphill road with snow forming all around us. The SUV and the Volvo behind it stopped and blocked the road AND the turn into my street! Neither one attempted to pull over to the side of the road. So of course I had to stop and as soon as I did I had nowhere to go but backwards! My Mustang GT could not overcome the quickly forming snow/slush in an uphill road and gassing it produced only wheelspin and the traction control cut the power. At least I could hold it still and watch helplessly as other cars went around us.

Soon, we had a line of cars behind us. Some of the FWD cars just went around us honking their horns and wondering WTF we were doing. SUV's and trucks came by us, as did FWD cars. Another Volvo filled with teens decided to park directly behind me with about a foot of space between my GT and their Volvo so they can get out and play in the snow. By now I was livid at the pure stupidity of people living in my neighborhood! I stepped out onto the falling ice/snow/slush to tell the teens driving the Volvo behind me to move their F****ng car out of there because I had no control of my GT at the moment and it could roll back into them at any moment! Luckily they did.

After about 20 minutes, with snow/slush/ice on the road getting thicker, the Volvo in front of me realized that, YES, they CAN drive away on their FWD car, after about the hundredth car went by them they figured this out! This opened up the road in front of me so I could attempt to turn right. I did. I just kept on gassing it gently and let the traction control do its job. I managed to get the GT moving with just enough momentum to slip and slide to my driveway. Whew!

Another Mustang, an older V6 model with probably no ABS or traction control wasn't so lucky. They were going up the hill and had to stop because the F****ng SUV was blocking the road. Well when they stopped, guess what? They could not go any more. They were spinning up their one rear tire and wasn't going anywhere. I felt bad for them! All because of that dumb-azz SUV who decided to just stop in the middle of the road because they did NOT know how to drive in snow/slush/ice.

Sorry. I just had to vent.

One thing I did learn is the advantage of FWD cars over RWD cars in such conditions. The advantage was so obvious and overwhelming it wasn't even funny. I don't know how you guys handle driving your GT's in snow. I would not want to. Does M+S tires make a big enough difference? I have the Pirelli P-Zero OEM tires.

This was the first time it has ever snowed in my area.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:53 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Yikes.. sounds like a shietty day out there in the snow lol

I drove year round in all kinda of cars for all of our horrible winters up here in AK.

Snow tires and experience helps out a ton with high torque RWD cars but you still can't help others whom cannot drive lulz

You guys get snow in Cali???
Old 04-10-2011, 05:58 PM
OCLandspeeder
1st Gear Member

It does snow in Cali but only in the higher elevations. This was a freak snow fall and it lasted throughout the evening, then it all melted by the end of the next day.

It was so frustrating to sit there behind two idiots. I mean really frustrating. I could not get around them because the road was uphill and steep and attempting a go-around would eliminate all options for me. All I needed was the Volvo to move the f***K out of the way so I didn't have to turn the GT too much. My patience did pay off but only after the hail beat up on my GT's paint for 20 minutes. That other Mustang V6 wasn't so lucky.

I've driven in snow before in a FWD car and never had traction issues.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

75% of traction issues are related to tires and weight over the drive wheel(s). Also, some snowfalls are slicker than others, depending on the moisture content of the snow. M&S tires typically are all-season tires and suck. Nothing beats dedicated winter tires.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:40 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Happened to me once. Was on my way home from work and sure enough it started to snow(stupid weather man). Surprisingly I made it almost all the way home without any problems. About 1/2 mile from my house I hit a small hill and sure enough the back end stepped out. Being 18 I over corrected and ended up doing 2 or 3 donuts. Luckily I ended up spinning into someones driveway without hitting anything. I had to wait for a salt truck to go by before I could make it up the hill and get home.

Last edited by speedkills; 04-10-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:45 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

I've had to deal with this all winter long for the past two in my v6.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2C_E6pOVzk

Sorry, but people generally drive like idiots. I've gotten through with just some all seasons and some sand in the trunk. When I say gotten through I mean if you don't have to don't drive your stang in this crap don't. I think the only thing good about this is eventually once you get used to the way the car reacts to certain conditions you can have some fun with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdwew4kuniM
Old 04-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Supernaut
2nd Gear Member

Default Get snow tires

I live on a hill and drive a 07 GT daily. With new perellis traction is fair, but after a year those tires may as well be bald in snow. I slid sideways down my street once trying to get home.

I now switch to generic snow tires every winter. With snows, my Mustang drives better than any FWD car wearing all-season rubber. This was my second winter with those tires, and it looks like I'll get a couple more out of them.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

I drive my car year round and live in Chicago. Remember that big blizzard we had, Yup I was driving in it and out the next day, never had a problem. I do have snow tires, but I also have 430hp/404tq of a positive displacement blower, so it can be done but we have just as many idiots here too.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:47 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjWEv8pGWY
Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

I feel ya. People turn stupid here in Atlanta when it snows as well. Just look at the bright side, like I do: It doesn't happen often where you live...

I had an 88 4-cyl back when, I was caught in a flash blizzard back in 93 I think, within about 10 minutes there was an inch of snow on the roads, and I had a fun, slow drive back home.

Quick Reply: Driving a GT In Snow/Slush