Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car simply dying. What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:09 AM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

What is an SBJ box?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:32 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

its a Smart Junction Box. It sits on the passenger side right side panel. It controls the majority of electronics in your car.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:44 AM
jlc41
2nd Gear Member

Wasn't there something about the gas tank being a saddle bag design and fuel pickup could be a problem. I think there is some type of valve that controls when to change from the side that is low on fuel to the full side. Just saying... given the left hand turn stall.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Update: During the 2 hours from when I checked it last. It is now wet on the floor. Not a lot of wetness, but definitely water is still getting through after the 5th trip to the dealer. So I took it back down to the dealer and they want nothing more to do with it, and want to refund my money. I also mentioned the stalling part and they said that isn't related to the SJB, so I don't know what to do. It hasn't stalled since the second incident so I don't know. So now the dealer has washed their hands with it, I don't feel confident paying anyone else just to have a repeat of this. So I may end up tearing apart the panels and door and trying to figure something out myself...
Old 05-13-2011, 02:13 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

If the passenger side floor is wet, i guarantee you that the SBJ got wet. In my car it felt very damp, when i removed the seat and all the carpets, it was literally a lake underneath the carpet. The underpad was soaked and i had to replace that too. at least 1/2 gallon of water i kid you not. If you take off the panels and passenger seat, disconnect the battery first cause you dont want any electrical headaches or an airbag going off on you. good luck. hopefully your issue is something else, but i have a feeling that you have the same issue many of us had.

PS; Its cant be a coincidence that its raining heavy where you are either. this leads me to think that its the sbj got wet and acting up
Old 05-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Car stalled again, I was travelling in a forward direction again so I think we can cross out this whole left turn deal. It's really frustrated. ALSO I get this click/clunk sound in the middle of the dash when going from defrost/ac defrost/off... What could this be.., and maybe it's something leaking down from the dash that is causing my leak? I don't know.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Hey bro, take a look at this link. It covers what you need to do to fix this. Take your time reading it through and that will hopefully resolve your issue.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-mustangs.html

If you need any help, just message me and ill help you work it out to the best of my knowledge.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Hey Jama, while I appreciate it. I don't think the SJB is wet.

Three issues.

1. Water is finding its way onto the carpet. Nothing wet underneath the carpet, and nothing wet on the floor mat. Which is telling me water is finding a way down, and soaking the carpet but not reaching the metal. (Although, when this first happened the entire floormat, carpet, and everything was soaked) so whatever the dealer did seemed to have slowed it down, or maybe I'm more **** about checking.

2. There is a clicking (3 to 5) or more clicks, sounding like something is trapped inside the dash. When the defroster goes to off or A/C. I don't even know where to begin with this one, and maybe it's something not opening/closing right and possibly causing water to leak out onto the floor? I don't know... lost.

3. Of course the car has stalled 3 times. No change in accessories just the car just stops giving it gas. I've had the fuel pump replaced per tsb before and it doesn't seem like that. I checked the Air filter and that was a little wobbly at the filter/throttle body so I tightened that up and hoping that might be the trip up...
Old 05-13-2011, 08:30 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

i think your drain hole by the cabin air filter might be clogged. This would explain the water seeping in perhaps from the glove compartment or firewall area as oppose to coming in from the side wall.

If i was you, i would take apart the gormet by the passenger side windshield, they clip in. Then feel on the bottom left and see if the drain hole is plugged. Sometimes, there is garbage and debris there. My car had some there as well. This would explain why there might be some clicking noise, since there its beside the cabin air filter.

PS; Also check the fuel filter cause that might be the fuel issue. I wonder if there is a fuel shut off in our mustangs ? I know i drive a vic at work and the fuel shut off use to turn off all the time.

Check out this video bro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKk-Sc4bduA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEcR-IIE-sE
Old 05-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Yesterday I took off all the panels on the passenger side.. I also took off the passenger side cowl and it is bone dry down by the cabin air filter. The little sections where the cowl connects to have all been slopped in sealant from the dealer and only the furthers one to the left has water in it. I might try some compressed air to clear it out (but water is just standing in the hole, so that's telling me it isn't draining anywhere) but I'll give it a try anyway. Bout to run down to the car. I folded back the carpet and it was raining good, so the floorboard should be wet if it's still draining into the car, and might give me a better look to where it's coming in from. We'll seel. Thanks again Jama.

Quick Reply: Car simply dying. What is it?