Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most impressive car match

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:00 PM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lil_Chef
:conf used:
Check out FM Miata turbo's ;-) Those cars with about $5-6K in mods can surprise a lot of cars due to the power to Weight ratio. I beleive they put out about 275 to the wheels with their kit.

Some of them are even running 5.0's in them. Basically making a modern Shelby cobra.

I had one for about 11 years. Was a blast to drive but sold just before I did the monster conversion (5.0 drivetrain). Figured if I was going with a Ford engine I might as well get a mustang. Got my first mustang and haven't looked back.

Back to the OP. I got suprised by a RX8 the other day. Clean car with a carbon fiber hood and trunk but no body kit or ricer wing. Those cars are so slow factory so I wasn't expecting much. I didn't go all out but didn't really hold back and he was close. (following him). I pulled up next to him at the light and was going to ask what he had and he backed up :-( To this day I still want to know what he had as it was impressive.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:06 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
Shelby AC 427 Cobra(kit car).
Did a few roll races on a traffic and interchange free area of a local expressway.
It's larger hp/wt ratio would not allow my GT to keep up with it.
The 427 is a serious stump puller. Even in just stock NA form, that monster pumps out 427 ft- lbf at very low RPMs so such a light car and that massive torque means that little guy will immediately jump nearly 3-4 car lengths ahead of you off the line.
Add mods to that engine and I am sure those little cars will eat nearly anything that will line up against it in a drag race.

The only drawback of this and any other big block is they have low red lines. Maybe 5500RPM?
I have heard of professional racers taking massive 502 strokers to 12000RPM but those engines are only designed and built to last only a few passes down the strip. Those things would be lucky to see 1000 miles of life.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:59 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by black2010
Check out FM Miata turbo's ;-) Those cars with about $5-6K in mods can surprise a lot of cars due to the power to Weight ratio. I beleive they put out about 275 to the wheels with their kit.

Some of them are even running 5.0's in them. Basically making a modern Shelby cobra.

I had one for about 11 years. Was a blast to drive but sold just before I did the monster conversion (5.0 drivetrain). Figured if I was going with a Ford engine I might as well get a mustang. Got my first mustang and haven't looked back.

Back to the OP. I got suprised by a RX8 the other day. Clean car with a carbon fiber hood and trunk but no body kit or ricer wing. Those cars are so slow factory so I wasn't expecting much. I didn't go all out but didn't really hold back and he was close. (following him). I pulled up next to him at the light and was going to ask what he had and he backed up :-( To this day I still want to know what he had as it was impressive.
My mechanic's helper stuffed a 350 into his small Mazda(Miata or RX-7). It runs the 1/4 in the 11's.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I had an Excursion rev at me yesterday
Old 05-19-2011, 01:34 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
The 427 is a serious stump puller. Even in just stock NA form, that monster pumps out 427 ft- lbf at very low RPMs so such a light car and that massive torque means that little guy will immediately jump nearly 3-4 car lengths ahead of you off the line.
Agree. If it's able to get traction.
I had a dig race against a '66 427 Vette a few years ago. He just sat and spun.

IMHO, my GT held its own against the Shelby AC considering its big power/wt advantage. We started each roll race at 45 mph. I started in 2nd to ensure my engine was in the meat of its torque curve. I stayed even with him until I shifted into 3rd, when he pulled ahead by 1-1.5 cars. But I was able to stop his pull in the upper half of 3rd, and that's how it ended when we shut down between 90-100.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by Alec
I had an Excursion rev at me yesterday
Did you race him? Lol
Old 05-19-2011, 02:24 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

On my way home from school today I had a Cobalt LS sedan rev up at me and then try to takeoff at a light. Didn't even bother, lol.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
Did you race him? Lol
Nah not worth the gas nowadays. Plus I only had my 87 tune in and my dad was following behind me
Old 05-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Jokeurmnd
2nd Gear Member

Cobalt SS- Took me off the line but i caught up for the win
Camero '80's- Had him in my rear view the whole time
GTO 6.0- Close but lost that one
There is a BMW that wants to take me out but I know I can't win just yet so holding off.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:30 AM
rangerheave
1st Gear Member

I leave for work every day at about 0430 and so does my neighbor who drives a late model M3. Lots of traffic light along the way and nobody on the streets. Its always a fun time. He smokes me all the time but its fun. We typically hit second at the same time as well as third. Thats where he starts to walk away from me. I hit third hard, he chirps third and launches.

Also, had a Cadillac CTS give it a go with me. I was ahead by about a car and half when we had to shut it down for traffic.

Win or lose, it doesnt much matter to me. Its fun. If I didnt want the excitment thats inherent with owning a sports car, Id drive my wifes Armada.

Quick Reply: Most impressive car match