Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saleen stage 3?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Default saleen stage 3?????

I have the stage 2 and im running 438 to the wheels. Im considering the stage 3 which would probably put me around 450 to 460 to the wheels. Is that still considered safe on the stock block. How many here are running 450 hp to the wheels with the stock block. If i pull the trigger brenspeed will be doing the work.

thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 12:55 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Can't go wrong with Brenspeed doing the work. As far as how safe it is? Hard to really say. An additional 20-30 whp probably wont hurt provided you're not walking the fine line already. Each motor seems to have a different breaking point.

The shattering of a motor probably has more to do with how often you redline it, and how you treat it in general than the hp you're actually at now.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:07 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

If it breaks, that is just a reason to get the b302....
Old 05-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

"Safe" depends on your driving style. I've known plenty of people who have the 550 kit and drive it just fine, and other people who cant seem to treat the kit with respect and end up blowing their motor while doing donuts or something else stupid.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 PM
7gtthrilla
2nd Gear Member

It's safe to do that but I wouldn't push the limit because I've talked to some Ford techs about this and they told me that the stock block can't handle much over 500 to the wheels so I would baby it. good luck with this project.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:21 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Its advertised as a 530 at the flywheel so I was hoping it would be okay. I maybe track the car twice a year and rarely ever redline it. I do get on it but I dont drive hard by any means. And if the motor happened to grenade I could swing a 302 but i wouldnt want to now but I still could without borrowing money. I had thought about upgrading the motor in a few years maybe. Chandler from brenspeed said it was a popular package among the people running stock bottom end. Decisions Decisions.....
Old 05-25-2011, 03:28 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I say go for it. Run a safe Breenspeed tune and enjoy the power. Mine motor blew at 435 crank hp, so you just never really know.

The B302 gets my vote IF things were to go awry. If you were closer I'd even install it for you .
Old 05-25-2011, 04:27 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I say go for it. Run a safe Breenspeed tune and enjoy the power. Mine motor blew at 435 crank hp, so you just never really know.

The B302 gets my vote IF things were to go awry. If you were closer I'd even install it for you .
Yea I just read your whole thread and it was amazing to read. Crazy that u were coming from a stop and she went. Glad u got it worked out and satisfied with the 302. It seemed like it didnt take u to long to get it rebuilt. I envy guys like u that can work on a car with that much detail involved. I wish I knew someone that could do somehting like that for me. Hell I would certainly pay for that knowledge. I can do small things but something like that is above me. I got a ball park quote from brenspeed for a 302 swap. i believe around 7k, I have thought about buying all the misc. parts as that seems to add up fast and then pulling the trigger.

Have u since upgraded for more power or are u running what u had after the build.

I appreciate the nice suggestion of u willing to help a guy out if u lived closer.

Great thread man
Old 05-25-2011, 05:31 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

When I built it I had a mix of Stage 3/4 parts. It dyno'd around 457/463 at the wheels in about 90 degree ambient temps and intake temps well over that due to the fact that I just came from 30 mins in 5mph traffic. The biggest benefit I see from the 302 is that torque comes in quick. At 2000rpm its already making over 400 torque, hits peak torque around 3250 and begins to taper at 5500.

Since then I've gone to the Extreme intake and Steeda tensioner. I was having issues with the stock intake tube sucking shut under WoT. The solid tube with the Extreme fixed that.

I hope that in cooler weather (50-70) and without a pre-dyno heatsoak it would now be close to, if not over 500 at the wheels. But I haven't taken it back to the dyno yet.

Does that 7k include new cam/timing components that they'd generally replace IF a motor blew? 2-2.5k seems steep to swap motors. They do good work, but I just wonder if that number is based simply on swapping shortblocks, or if there are parts involved too (other than the shortblock itself).
Old 05-25-2011, 06:02 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
When I built it I had a mix of Stage 3/4 parts. It dyno'd around 457/463 at the wheels in about 90 degree ambient temps and intake temps well over that due to the fact that I just came from 30 mins in 5mph traffic. The biggest benefit I see from the 302 is that torque comes in quick. At 2000rpm its already making over 400 torque, hits peak torque around 3250 and begins to taper at 5500.

Since then I've gone to the Extreme intake and Steeda tensioner. I was having issues with the stock intake tube sucking shut under WoT. The solid tube with the Extreme fixed that.

I hope that in cooler weather (50-70) and without a pre-dyno heatsoak it would now be close to, if not over 500 at the wheels. But I haven't taken it back to the dyno yet.

Does that 7k include new cam/timing components that they'd generally replace IF a motor blew? 2-2.5k seems steep to swap motors. They do good work, but I just wonder if that number is based simply on swapping shortblocks, or if there are parts involved too (other than the shortblock itself).
4000 for the 302 and all the parts neccessary for the install. What all that includes im not sure but gaskets bolts and whatever else there is too do the swap. I was thinking that there was around 1000 to 1500 for the parts to do the swap but i could be mistaken. I split the difference for the cost of parts at around 1250 and with the cost of the 302 it would be around 5530 with tax. So I guess around 1500 for the swap. Ballparking this in my head

If a guy did that I wonder how hard it would be to sell the motor.

You got a nice setup since your hitting 400 at 2000rpm. That thing must suck you back in your seat. Very tempting to do something like that in a year or two.

Quick Reply: saleen stage 3?????