Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Damage from the Movie Theater Tonight

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:36 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

Im going to have to get the front fascia painted when I get it, so if I have to get it repainted I'll just get it done at the same time. I wonder how much that would cost.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Well that sucks but a good attitude will get you far!

Looks like someone was turning in/backing out and misjudged their turning circle (probably a truck by the height of the damage).

What did insurance say about it?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:28 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Haven't dealt with insurance. I didn't really plan on it. Figured it would be more trouble than it was worth to file another claim with them. I'm 19, and I had a V6 totalled just over a year ago. I was planning on just handling this one myself since theres no chance anyone elses insurance is taking it because I have no idea how it was done.

Not sure if that is the best course of action though.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Hmm... Who's your insurance carrier? Are you on the policy by yourself or part of a group policy with your parents?

Reason I ask is that some policies don't count hit-and-run against you. Some do. Also, depending on the carrier they could 'rate' you on a different car in the group to keep the insurance cost down.

State Farm for example can play musical cars and get the lowest rates for each driver. Geico...so sorry if you have them I would avoid dealing with them for this.

That ding doesn't look too bad and could most likely be popped out. Just remove the inner fenderwell cover and smack it out. The paint scratch...that does suck and would require he entire bumper and fender area be painted to blend it. That can get costly.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:22 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

USAA. I technically don't own a car. Im insured as a driver. My dad has a company car, so since that isn't on our plan we have 3 cars for 4 people.

How do I remove the inner lining?
Old 05-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Jack the drivers side up and put it on a stand.

Remove the tire. I just checked my 08 GT, there is a liner there. You'll need to remove the screws and push tabs to gain access to that part of the fender.

Once the liner is removed, If you can see it and feel it, get a body dollie and a deadblow hammer. Put the dolly on the inner fender and hold it in place while you give it a couple of medium blows with the dead-blow hammer. The dollie should be centered on the peak of the dent.

The seconday method is to get a body hammer with a flat head and tap the dent out from the wheel well side. You want to start from the edges and work your way in. If you work from the middle out, you may end up with dimpling. This method is not really recommended for this type of damage.

I should clarify these suggestions will only work if the that part of the fender is a single layer of steel, or if there are two layers, that they are pretty tight together. Otherwise you'll just dent the heck out of the inner fender well. It won't hurt anything but will be a waste of effort.

Last edited by Derf00; 05-28-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Confirming that liner does exist in wheel well.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

I would be so pissed. People have to really try to park next to me. I take the farthest spot in the lot. But then I haven't had a door ding in, well I can't remember when.
If you park next to people this will happen, so except it or don't park next to people. the op has a very good attitude about it, kudos.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

I usually park way away, but the entire parking lot was packed, so not even the back, where I parked, was safe. Figures the one time I have to park around other people, I get hit. I just got the lining out of the way, gonna work on pounding it out now.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

I pull into a parking lot wear the lot is full, I just leave. Go somewhere else or go home. I will not park next to anyone, ever.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Well, that didn't work. I got some of the original shape back to the fender, but it's still lumpy. It didn't pop back like I was hoping. I guess it's off to the body shop whenever I get paid.

Here are some pics post repair attempt:

My only hope is that I didn't mess it up worse. It would suck if the body shop could have just popped it back out no problem originally, but now it's going to take more work and cost more money, but for some reason I really wanted to give it a shot.

Quick Reply: Some Damage from the Movie Theater Tonight