Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First car, Senior in Highschool

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:31 PM
TexasTanker19kilo20
Goldilocks

Hey don't forget about fox bodies!!! I am a BIG fan of S197's, would kill for a 2008 GT. For the money you have right now you could find a very nice and FUN fox. Just sayin..

Oh and welcome to MF. Congrats on paying for your ride. My first car at 17 was a 76 Cadillac Seville LOL paid $800 and drove the **** out of it. Good luck on your search.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Didn't realize there's a lot of 17 year olds like myself with such a great passion for mustangs. Good luck, make sure you have a plan and stick to it. Don't break her in to hard.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Jareddml

Hey thanks again guys, this forum is amazing.

I am still going to consistently research the car while raking in as much cash as possible Speaking of which, my neighbor just graciously offered to give me 100$ to mow his lawn every week hahah. I figure since I still have a good amount of months till my birthday, I can still look for a great deal on the car rather than jumping the gun like Tanner had done unfortunately.

Still, I've been saving my money for almost 5 years now and I've always felt like money was no issue in my life. I feel like throwing it all on a car will be fun but then I will have no base for anything else to buy.

Thanks once more everyone, Jared
Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jareddml
Hey thanks again guys, this forum is amazing.

I am still going to consistently research the car while raking in as much cash as possible Speaking of which, my neighbor just graciously offered to give me 100$ to mow his lawn every week hahah. I figure since I still have a good amount of months till my birthday, I can still look for a great deal on the car rather than jumping the gun like Tanner had done unfortunately.

Still, I've been saving my money for almost 5 years now and I've always felt like money was no issue in my life. I feel like throwing it all on a car will be fun but then I will have no base for anything else to buy.

Thanks once more everyone, Jared
$100 a week to mow a lawn? You better make sure you get that lawn looking pristine haha. Don't throw all of your money into one piece of equipment at once! You'll have no money to do much of anything when your friends are all graduating with you and everyone wants to do something EVERYDAY. It's been 4 years since I was a senior, but I remember that rush of freedom all too well. Leave yourself some wiggle room. I'll leave you to decide what that amount should be.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
When I bought my car it had 48k miles. They wanted 11,900 for it in Dec. '09.
We talked them down to 10k which wasn't a bad price.
But then I found a silver '08 with 25k miles for the same damn price the next day.
Ha I was not very happy. Look around A LOT
Agreed. Don't fall in love with the first car you see/drive. I did, and I'm happy with it, but if I would have been patient and smarter I could have made out even better
Old 06-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Jareddml

Originally Posted by Alec
Agreed. Don't fall in love with the first car you see/drive. I did, and I'm happy with it, but if I would have been patient and smarter I could have made out even better
Yea true. In fact, if I waited till midway through college, or even after college, I'd have enough most likely for something 10x greater. I'd have a steady job, with OK money, and I would be able to lease a new car by that time. I may just end up riding my parents cars, which isn't all bad. Besides the freedom of having my own, they have a nice BMW and Volvo and they don't leave the house much...

Still, having my own car would be so much greater!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I'm a younger member around here too, and I paid for my car myself as well. I'm coming up on 20. It took me a bunch of less than wonderful jobs, saving of gift money along the way, and a whole lot of luck in my case with the stock market. But I can honestly say that owning your own car that you take pride in is so rewarding.

I do agree with others in that I think it's ideal to buy a car that leaves you some money after the fact. It's amazing how things come up that you least expect to pay for, and of course in case anything were to happen with the car that you had to repair, you'd have that rainy day money.

In any case hopefully you can find yourself a great deal out there, they certainly exist! I know I try to enjoy my car every day if I can, I always take a 20-30 minute cruise around town on sunny days just to get some time to think about things and relax.