Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in rear quater panels -

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:46 PM
PoppaPony

Default Water in rear quater panels -

Sounds to me like I have water in the rear quater panels by back wheels in my '06 coupe. Guessing someone has dealt with this?

Looking for advice on best way to get a peek inside there -

I cannot hear it while driving, but if at trunk and rocking car fwd it's very clear -

Thanks much -

I'm new to the forum, so if this is not the correct place to post this lemme know

-PoppaPony
Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Are you sure it's not your fuel sloshing around in the fuel tank? Just about every car I've owned, if you shake the rear end side-to-side you can hear the fuel. But if you think it's water in the quarter panels, then you should be able to see and/or feel it.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:46 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If you do indeed have water in the quarters, you'll have to check every grommet/clip that goes through the tail light panel.
It could also be the trunk weatherstrip being loose.

It could also be, and I hope for you that it's not, that the car was rear ended and not fixed properly...
Like replacing sheet metal and doing a poor job with seam sealer etc...
Old 06-06-2011, 08:33 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

I don't want to thread jack here, but Pascal, what do you think about a trunk leak? My car was wrecked before I got it, and it looked like they did a good job fixing it, but the trunk leaks. I'm pretty sure what is happening is the water is coming off of the tires and getting in through the wheel well, because it only happens when I drive in the rain, not when I leave my car out in it. Any ideas on what to check for that?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:39 PM
PoppaPony

You know I thought about the fuel, but tank was pretty much full
when I noticed it - maybe 1/2 gallon low-

Someone has suggested getting in through the interior?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by HT
I don't want to thread jack here, but Pascal, what do you think about a trunk leak? My car was wrecked before I got it, and it looked like they did a good job fixing it, but the trunk leaks. I'm pretty sure what is happening is the water is coming off of the tires and getting in through the wheel well, because it only happens when I drive in the rain, not when I leave my car out in it. Any ideas on what to check for that?
If the driver side quarter was replaced, there's a chance the the gas filler pocket isn't waterproof anymore.
Said pocket or cup is caught between the inner quarter (see pic) and the quarter skin and is exposed in the wheel well.
Jack the car up, remove the wheel and inspect that area.
If that cup (inner quarter side) isn't sealed properly, water will go inside the trunk.
I don't have picture of that cup but you get the idea where it is/goes (square hole).

Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

+1 on pascal's latest post.

FWIW, my 05 GT leaked water into the trunk's spare tire well. I traced it back to a trough in the driver's side quarter panel that had filled up with water(It's behind the removable trunk liner). I realized this water was being splashed up by the tires, because there was dirt and grit in the bottom of the trough. I soaked up the water, cleaned out the dirt and grit, jacked up the driver's side rear, removed the tire, and sprayed water inside the wheel well with a hose. No water appeared in the trough. I then sprayed water up behind the wheel well where the gas filler tube passes thru the quarter panel. This time there was water in the trough.
Further inspection found a poorly sealed seam where the gas filler tube passes thru the quarter panel. Sealed the seam with duct seal, and the trunk has been bone dry since then.

Last edited by ski; 06-06-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Sweet, I'll look into that.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 PM
7gtthrilla
2nd Gear Member

I would say most likely a bad sealing job. I pray to god that's what it is. A good way to check this is with an air hose and follow the seam along with some water, just like checking for a puncture in a tire. Do this and hopefully you will find a miscue in the sealant, Good luck!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I replaced about 4 quarters on the S197 and twice an the driver side...
I sure did a better job at sealing those than the factory did, because just the look of things didn't cut it for me.
And............I was right.

Quick Reply: Water in rear quater panels -