Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have I grown soft? GT vs. Boss

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I believe it's the same as the GT, as the bosses are experiencing some of the same issues.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

For a DD, I would definitely get the GT. I was thinking about this a few days ago... I would want the epic SYNC nav, leather and heated seats, glass roof, etc. Just throw the BOSS intake manifold on, cams, lt's, etc. so it screams to 8 grand.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:01 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Thats like one of the top reasons I wanted the Boss. I wanted to hear that V8 at 8000rpm. Though it will take some mods . . . and I might blow an engine, I'll be taking the Coyote to that.

If I could afford a new M3 I'd buy one just to hear that motor hit 8300 RPM. I started one up at a dealership two weeks ago and nearly crapped myself. Man that thing sounded mean on startup. The guy asked if I wanted to drive it . . .and I sooooo did, but once I saw the 75k tag I said no. I didn't want to fall in love, and I didn't want to beat up on someone else's future car.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 PM
DPE
2nd Gear Member

M3 sounds amazing at startup? Uh, not the one I hear often (friend of mine in the neighborhood owns it; I've driven it in the twisties and around town etc.). Sounds like crap, in fact, until it warms up, and then it's just a mildly throaty and fairly unexciting rasp at lower rpms. He was rather jealous of the sound of my 10 GT in fact. Having said that, at 8300rpm that M3 motor sings a sweet, sweet tune. And the 414hp it delivers at that rpm puts my car to shame. But yes, $75k and German 'reliability' are both non-starters for me. I can live with 6500rpm. For now.

As for your quandry, I don't see the point of you getting a Boss at all. I see the point of the car; it's a very special car that I would love to own. But I do track my car regularly (not the Mustang yet as I just got it in February; crappy year weather-wise so far, but typically I'm at the track 6-10 times in a year) and were I getting a new Mustang I'd still get a plain old 5.0 Premium. I'm 36 so I'm really enjoying the luxuries in my old age, and honestly it just makes for a 'nicer' car to drive day to day. And you'll have spent $10k less for something nicer. Getting well into the law of diminishing returns on the performance end too. Especially considering the ease of upgrading the 5.0to Boss levels of power and handling. My 2 cents.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 PM
lunyou
2nd Gear Member

I always approach these quandaries with the simple question of, "can I get the cheaper widget A to be comparable to the more expensive widget b with the difference saved" then I ask is the difference a difference that I could use?
Old 06-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default On growing soft

With respect to the title question - the moment that any feature that does not directly contribute to performance or your ability to extract it even starts looking like a non-negotiable "must-have", the puffiness has already started.
. . . and just the way that thought reads means that I've mellowed a good bit since I was a 20-something.

But at least in the Mustang's case there is sufficient aftermarket remedy to bring a normal GT up to or possibly beyond the as-delivered Boss performance levels, although it would still have a slightly 'softer' character about it. For $10k and no Kona blue Boss availability, I'd likely choose the 'mod a GT' route as well.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-08-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Whipple

if you want a highly customizable car for a good price go with the GT.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:09 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

FWIW there is a lot changes inside the engine of the boss to allow it to make service life at 7500, it will go to 8k though since the only difference between it and the 302S motor mechanically is the oil pan. i would not feel safe putting the normal 5.0 to 8k at all, 7500 maybe, but not 8k. i remember on my 05 the brenspeed tune pushed the limiter up 500 by default and it sounded like it was going to break so i put it back to factory.

Also, my august issue of 5.0 came in yesterday and it has an awesome story about the boss engine. i didn't realize until i read the story that ford called the boss engine road runner, funny that the road runner was always two steps ahead of the coyote in the cartoon. i was surprised ford chose that name which was sure to draw the same mental image of loony toons by anyone that has watched tv Saturday mornings..
Old 06-08-2011, 03:11 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I think the GT is the route I'll eventually go. I'm in the first 20% of remodeling a home for my grandma, so once I've recovered from that monetary drain I'll be looking .
Old 06-08-2011, 03:26 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't be taking the stock Coyote to 8000 either. Not before I get in and rework it. But it would be nice for the Coyote to win . . . just once.

But frankly, in anything past second gear, 8k is me breaking the law already. As nice as it is to hear, the frequency that I'll be pushing it that hard, or the frequency in which I can and not get pulled over for doing 80, will be rare.

But Shane your point about the internals is well taken, and something that kept me on the fence.

Quick Reply: Have I grown soft? GT vs. Boss