Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford issues warning...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by 92hatchLX;7606901[U
]It is the same way that it has always been! Why the **** are people freaking out about this??? If you modify ANY vehicle under warranty, and the manufacturer can prove that what you changed caused the failure, you're ****ed. This is common sense people.[/U] What aren't we getting? It would be nice if Ford would pay for engine repairs that were not at their fault, but in all honesty I would be the same way if I owned Ford. If you can't afford to replace the motor, don't mess with it.
Originally Posted by slickman
Read further down the article;

Ford can’t automatically void your warranty due to aftermarket modifications. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 states that it must be proven that an aftermarket part directly caused a failure to original equipment parts to void a warranty.
However, if you are going to modify your car, whether a simple tune, exhaust system or a supercharger, know that not all aftermarket parts and products are produced with the same quality. Increasing horsepower and torque can be done safely, but it can also be done in a way that harms the engine’s internal components. If an aftermarket tune causes an engine to run lean or if excess boost from a supercharger breaks a connecting rod, then Ford can legally void a powertrian warranty.
The lesson? Modify with care, and make sure to do your research before you buy aftermarket parts. Make sure to read the fine print. Some aftermarket parts are designed to exceed the limits of the factory parts and require additional components to handle the increased performance. Overall, aftermarket products designed and produced correctly will safely provide increased performance for your Mustang without damaging the factory components and will not void your warranty.
Both posts above make sense and IMO its just common sense....its no different with 2011 models and below ....so whats the issue people?

so Ford issued a TSB on modifying the stock 5.0 engine can cause problems and void warranties.....and Ford will not lose business...or customers...this talk is pointless and maybe some of you need to look at the bigger picture....if there is a problem with oil getting to piston 8 then so be it...get it fixed under warranty or mod the motor at your own risk...perhaps fix the potential problem while modding your 5.0....I don't see much of a debate here...

here is an excerpt from the article and what Ford has to say..
A Ford representative, when asked about the TSB, told us that “customization is a big part of the Mustang ownership experience. This [TSB] is designed to alert people to the possible damage and warranty ‘voiding’ one can incur if they modify their vehicles beyond factory specifications.”
We have known this for a very long time
Old 07-06-2011, 12:15 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
....if there is a problem with oil getting to piston 8 then so be it...get it fixed under warranty or mod the motor at your own risk...perhaps fix the potential problem while modding your 5.0....I don't see much of a debate here...
The debate is that Ford shouldn't be trying to push off a defect onto a customer because the customer modified his engine. If the 8th cylinder is having issues in general, then the guy with the tune shouldn't have to pay for his to be fixed, while the guy who didn't tune his car gets it fixed for free. Because as can be seen by this example, the problem is not directly dependent on the variable which is the tune.

The question really just is whether or not Ford is going to be wholly honest when they pull apart the motor and notice it's fault is oil flow rather than spark over advancing etc.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by TruMac
Ford didn't take the bailout, why should they bail you out.

They should not bail you out if the damage was proven to come from your mod... but if it was not proven, they should cover it.

That's what the law says so that in fact IS what they should do.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

There was a guy that had a stock car with a stock tune, and his #8 cylinder/piston went up in smoke.

Ford even tried to blame it on the use of Nitrous, this was after blaming an aftermarket tune that they had no proof was ever uploaded.

#8 cylinder failure thread - first person point of view and actual experience

Very interesting post - proves the car had a stock PCM calibration

Better be careful, here is a post from a dealership technician.....

Originally Posted by 11TUXFX4

Hey guys, I work for Ford as a technician and unfortunately we are able to look back on the history of how the car was running and see if a tune was installed. Its called Mode 6 and it gives you all the information they need to void warranty in case of a catastrophic failure
and this.....

Originally Posted by 11TUXFX4

You're welcome anytime! Here's an interesting fact, my buddy works at another Ford dealer and their dealer has had 2 -2011 mustangs with the 5.0 with a dead cylinder #8 and they both had a tune. I'd hate to see their bill!

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 07-06-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:58 PM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2010 desert mustang
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/0...-2011-mustang/

Wonder why Ford issued this, Mustangs are all about letting people customize it to their own likes. Is this ford telling us there might be something wrong with the 5.0 in the long run? i don't know i'm just curious, i believe the 5.0 is a great engine.

No, Ford is telling you that it is a Factory 302ci engine and don't expect 1.8hppci out of any 302ci factory street engine on the planet! Most people are very impressed by the Stock 1.364hppci.. 412 Base and 444 boss is stout guys out of 302ci. Ford is telling you if you want more then build it better yourself!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:15 PM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
To all that replied to my comment regarding the Camaro missed my point. We all pretty much have an idea about modding as it relates to warranty before this TSB came out. But don't you think the timing of this TSB is a little odd? Was there one released for the S197's? Or SN95's, etc? Why all of the sudden do it now. Did GM issue one for the Camaro? Do you see what I'm driving at? Why is Ford making it a point now to bring this up when they could've brought it up years ago?
The simplest answer is the 5.0 is a massed produced factory engine, it is 302ci. It develops 1.47hppci. in boss trim. 40 Years ago prostock engines barely made that much hppci. The engine is not at peak, most likely about 70% of peak, that is Fords safety margin, going beyond that you are taking the risk not Ford!

Ford has made "points" about this issue many times, many people have chosen to ignore them.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:27 PM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
They should not bail you out if the damage was proven to come from your mod... but if it was not proven, they should cover it.

That is NOT what the law states! Even if it did the Vehicles Owner would have to force ABC Mfg. in a court of law to prove it as fact!

BTW: When you state you have altered the Vehicles Emissions Controls and Equipment on the Witness stand Expect the EPA to write you a huge fine!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Post removed

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 07-07-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by pdonket
The debate is that Ford shouldn't be trying to push off a defect onto a customer because the customer modified his engine. If the 8th cylinder is having issues in general, then the guy with the tune shouldn't have to pay for his to be fixed, while the guy who didn't tune his car gets it fixed for free. Because as can be seen by this example, the problem is not directly dependent on the variable which is the tune.

The question really just is whether or not Ford is going to be wholly honest when they pull apart the motor and notice it's fault is oil flow rather than spark over advancing etc.
And this is where Ford has to prove that the tune caused the failure..now here is my point...if the failure never happened to the stock motor from the factory then the TSB would not have been issued...the business of making cars is just that big business...Ford has to cover their *** and so do you...I still see no problem with forfeiting a warranty if the engine is modified....I am sure it says so right in the warranty contract...I accepted that the second I doubled the HP on my motor one yr after buying the car.

EDIT: everything mobydick states I agree with and this is the simple truth....you want to play you have to pay and if something goes wrong you should have the money to correct it or your SOL!

Last edited by mygt500; 07-06-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:38 PM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke

That is what I was stating. If you mod the car and it causes the problem then Ford shouldn't be held accountable, you should be. If you don't mod the car then more than likely this issue won't even come up.

Quick Reply: Ford issues warning...