Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford issues warning...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 PM
2010 desert mustang
1st Gear Member

Default Ford issues warning...

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/0...-2011-mustang/

Wonder why Ford issued this, Mustangs are all about letting people customize it to their own likes. Is this ford telling us there might be something wrong with the 5.0 in the long run? i don't know i'm just curious, i believe the 5.0 is a great engine.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:04 PM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

This is interesting, are they trying to say that the 5.0s are already running near their capacity and limits and that pushing them further could cause failure? That's the only way a mod can void the warranty, the mod must cause the failure. Never seen a manufacturer TSB that didn't address an issue with the vehicle.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

old news people have been debating this over in the 5.0 tech section for days.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:27 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Still disgusts me the way the flow chart works. Saddest part is that out of line from the M v M Act, they pretty quickly assume if you have mods, your car needs its warranty terminated.

Ford will forever lose my business if this becomes a big issue for a lot of members here. Hope you're listening Ford Customer Service associates.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:38 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

warranties are for suckers.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

It is the same way that it has always been! Why the **** are people freaking out about this??? If you modify ANY vehicle under warranty, and the manufacturer can prove that what you changed caused the failure, you're ****ed. This is common sense people. What aren't we getting? It would be nice if Ford would pay for engine repairs that were not at their fault, but in all honesty I would be the same way if I owned Ford. If you can't afford to replace the motor, don't mess with it.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 92hatchLX
If you modify ANY vehicle under warranty, and the manufacturer can prove that what you changed caused the failure, you're ****ed. This is common sense people.
That's the impression I was always under
Old 07-05-2011, 02:30 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Read further down the article;

Ford can’t automatically void your warranty due to aftermarket modifications. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 states that it must be proven that an aftermarket part directly caused a failure to original equipment parts to void a warranty.
However, if you are going to modify your car, whether a simple tune, exhaust system or a supercharger, know that not all aftermarket parts and products are produced with the same quality. Increasing horsepower and torque can be done safely, but it can also be done in a way that harms the engine’s internal components. If an aftermarket tune causes an engine to run lean or if excess boost from a supercharger breaks a connecting rod, then Ford can legally void a powertrian warranty.
The lesson? Modify with care, and make sure to do your research before you buy aftermarket parts. Make sure to read the fine print. Some aftermarket parts are designed to exceed the limits of the factory parts and require additional components to handle the increased performance. Overall, aftermarket products designed and produced correctly will safely provide increased performance for your Mustang without damaging the factory components and will not void your warranty.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

+1, I think ford did this to spell it out for those that seriously don't understand how a warranty works.

Anytime you mod your car you are at risk of a failure that is not covered under warranty... Hasn't changed for 20+ years.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 92hatchLX
It is the same way that it has always been! Why the **** are people freaking out about this??? If you modify ANY vehicle under warranty, and the manufacturer can prove that what you changed caused the failure, you're ****ed. This is common sense people. What aren't we getting? It would be nice if Ford would pay for engine repairs that were not at their fault, but in all honesty I would be the same way if I owned Ford. If you can't afford to replace the motor, don't mess with it.
Duh, but lets get real. That tree diagram up there, includes words that make it sound like Ford is going to ensure that your mods broke the engine, but in reality, most dealerships will have it go down this way.

Dealer: Oh so you have mods?
You: Yeah, I have axlebacks and a tune.
Dealer: Oh wow well it looks here like you don't have a case for warranty replacement, you pushed the limits and we won't service that for you.

Yeah, you have the Magnuson Moss Act on your side, but only if they dealer is stupid enough to believe you'll chase after them over it. That's exactly why dealers will push you off even still, because they have capital and the ability to delay judicial proceedings that you don't. The law is a privilege of the wealthy, and compared to a corporation, we're all poor.

The Magnuson ruling is stronger as a threat than as a guarantee to your rights. It's people like me, who have hardly done anything to the car at all internally, that feel affected by this directly, because Ford is still going to give me a hard time despite only running mild changes on the car. Obviously people who go blown or throw on full N/A mods aren't going to expect help in the way of Ford.

Quick Reply: Ford issues warning...