Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500 vs New 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Joe in Dublin
Id go boss. u can get them for msrp or lower if u know how to haggle, the boss killed a 11 500 around laguna seca..

And again you are talking two different types of Mustangs.
One built for the Drag runs and one built for the curvy track runs.

The GT500 is my pick STILL for street runs, the drag strip, and for modding purposes. The Boss does have great handling for the curvy track though.

But again I believe you can beef up the suspension on the GT500 all day long and the 5.0 engine has yet to be proven to be able to handle as big of power mods that the GT500 can without the engine going boom on ya.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

If this was strictly about drag racing Shelby owners would be swapping to autos constantly. But people what to see what they can do with a manual. There are a few guys with streetable shelbys in the 9's with manuals. Andy "the bull" on svtp runs low 9's and streets his car, you might have seen him in 5.0 mag. He won KOTS. Also there is two or three more I can't think of. Go hang out on svtp and you will see the peoples #'s

I personally have not tracked my car. I put down 665 whp in 88% humidity and don't want to spin down the track. I also dont want to dead hook the power and break a axel or anything.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:54 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
Pascal.. You've driven a gt500 though.. That and you have made mine even nicer with your magic... Now we got to meet back up so you can drive it with the added power..
True.
But the car's still foreign to me.
It's not like I own it and know everything about it.
Doesn't matter though, I'd get the 500 anyway.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Dammit I knew I knew someone that did ran 9's all the time on his street car.
I completely forgot his name and did not wanna give out a wrong name hhahaa.
But yes I have heard of others saying they have as well. But Andy was the name I was thinking of and couldn't quite come up with it off the tip of my tongue lol.

Good call Z.

And again as I said and you said. I have heard of a number of folks doing so.

The GT500 wins with me. Even over the new Boss, even if I had the option of a Laguna Seca.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:16 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

The boss LS is a totally different animal. There is no straight line fight with them, they are all about the twisties. And with their weight and total package that car is a beast.

If you want to compare power have a auto 5.0 and a 500 roll race. That will even it out a tad more. Unlike having to drive the car off the line vs. Let off the brake and use the gas
Old 07-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The 5.0 will run the 9s easier than the 500 and do it with less power. Plus very little if any suspension work required.

If it sounded like I thought 9s was impossible with the Shelby - then that was a misperception.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

The only question is what needed to be done to get it into the 9s? blower+tires only? same as a 5.0 requires? if you are going absolutely cheap you can get a new 5.0 with an auto for 29,000 (with rebates and getting the dealership down a bit) add on the blower and wheels/tires to hit 9s and you are looking at under 40,000. Only problem is the bast GT isn't as nice as the GT500 interior. the cheapest low milage stock GT500s I see are in the 33,000-35,000 range. then to get into 9s you are looking at a bit of work.
like take the evo car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ari3hZJXs those are $2,000 rims, cai, pulley, and a 75 shot of n2o to run a 9.96... with someone who can really drive. even getting a decent deal on the GT500 you'd be looking at spending as much as the 5.0 and not even having that power on tap all the time (bottle runs out/low) or you need a TVS blower to hit high 9s and the tires andbe a hell of a driver or put in an auto, more money. on the other hand, if you just want to run some mid-high 10s with about $3,000 in mods a GT500 can hit that point cheaper than the 5.0, unless the 5.0 just went with n2o then again, we are looking at the 5.0 being a bit faster, but the same issue of the bottle.

the OP didn't list anything he was looking for in particular, I think my last post enumerated the differences and likes/dislikes of each well enough.

and I wasn't talking about how fast you can take a corner in a 5.0, i'm talking about road courses, a 5.0 will spank a mini at a road course. maybe not an auto-x where you dont get over 45, but that isn't real racing anyway

Last edited by Mishri; 07-14-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joe in Dublin
Id go boss. u can get them for msrp or lower if u know how to haggle, the boss killed a 11 500 around laguna seca..
Wait, what? I think you have inaccurate information. The Boss was 1/2 second slower around the track versus the GT500 (stock versus stock). I have no doubts the LS Boss is the superior road racing track car, but give credit where credit is due to the 2011 GT500.

Boss vs. GT500

One more thing to keep in mind here. Tune both cars with a more aggressive spark curve and fueling. Also give the Shelby GT500 a twin fan heat exchanger. Give both cars a 170* thermostat, and straight water fill in both the radiator and intercooler system (GT500). This will eliminate the "heat soak" factor in the supercharged car and make the power always there. Then we can retest both cars. I can guarantee you would see more than a 1/2 second difference on retest.

Originally Posted by Riptide
The 5.0 will run the 9s easier than the 500 and do it with less power. Plus very little if any suspension work required.
That's not surprising since the 5.0 engine is considerably lighter than the 5.4L. Do keep in mind that the guys running 9's with Shelbys on SVTP are still using the older iron block 5.4L, and that version is 110 lbs. heavier than the 2011 aluminum block version.

The standard 5.0 engine is not without problems. Even though it requires less power to achieve a 9 second time slip, the engine has lower power threshold before it finds the limits of stock internals. You have the dreaded #8 cylinder issue that has been blamed on two factors, improper assembly of the #8 oil squirter and poor aftermarket tuning. The standard 5.0 engine isn't perfect, and has greater limitations than any Shelby 5.4L.

So what if the Shelby requires more power to achieve similar time slips at the drag strip. That's due to the weight difference in the nose of the car thanks to the engine (iron block). When the stock engine can handle 750 rwhp all day long and still be safe, WHO CARES? The 5.0 is fast at the drag strip due to lighter weight, but things become much more even on the street when roll racing. I've broken a few hearts of 5.0 owners who thought they had bought a silver bullet that was guaranteed to take down the werewolf Shelby.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 07-14-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

This thread has become downright silly.

By this time OP is probably so confused he might as well just go buy a slightly used C6Z06, throw a paxton on it and laugh at us all in our silliness. lol

GT500 (proven to take the mods) or go home.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

just buy an ariel atom 500
you'll be faster than any other stock car in the world short of something thats not made yet

http://www.arielatom.com/specs/atom-500-v8

Quick Reply: GT500 vs New 5.0