Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about prepaid maintanence plans and warranties

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:23 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default Questions about prepaid maintanence plans and warranties

Hey guys-

So before I got the modding bug and realized I could do most of what the dealership does for a simple lube/ oil/ filter at home, I got 6 years of prepaid maintanence and an extended warranty on the car. I want to throw a CAI + Tune on, and I know that to get warranty work done id have to switch it all back to stock, but would I have to change it back for a simple lube oil and filter? can I leave it improved or wll they make a note of it and stamp a big void on my warranty?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

You can cancel your Ford extended warranty and get a pro-rated refund, probably can do the same with the prepaid maintenance.
You could ask your service advisor the next time you go in if they would hassle you over adding the CAI and tune as far as warranty work, some dealerships are lax about it, others are a$$h***s about it.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:15 AM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

You do not need to go back to stock.

Oh, and they can NOT "Void" your warranty.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

They sure as shat can void your warranty.
Despite what the law says.
They do it all the time.

You just have to be willing to take them to court if they do.
That being said... my advice would be to find a dealership to do your regular work that will not mind the simple mods. You do not have to use the dealership you bought the car from. Just go to each one and ask them if they would mind if you had those mods, do not tell them you have put those mods on already though.

Or you could get your oil changed at a normal oil change place and not the dealership I would think. Then just take off the CAI and return the tune to stock, unplug the battery for a while, then plug it back in and drive it a couple of days like that before taking it in for the major maintence work.

We modded the crap outta the 06GT. We just had a place that did not mind.
We are'nt modding the GT500 though, mainly because it has plenty of power and we want to keep it original.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-22-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Coyote 5.0
1st Gear Member

If you intend on modding than at least dump the Ford warranty. When I had my 03 Cobra I found a legit company through my credit union and check with my dealer to make sure they accepted this company. Never had a problem. Dealer was getting paid so he didn't care about my modifications and believe me there were plenty!!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Extended warranties are for people that are sure their cars are a POS. What you spend on them you could put into an interest bearing account or CD and you'll have some $$ on hand to put towards any major repair, IF needed, or a pocket of $$ when you trade up. There's nothing besides normal DIY items that you need to do much before 100,000 miles anyway (or pay a shop down the street $50 to do).

And only wusses return their car to stock when they go back to the dealer. Some dealers will intimidate the skirt-wearers. Have a set of ***** and most dealerships will ignore most if not all mods.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I asked my service advisor about it this morning. His response was yeah you can do it and if you cant clear a CEL or a code on your own and its related to the CAI, ill have to pay. But short of a blowing the motor, he doesnt think i'll have any issues. And since there are Xcharger and vortech goons running around w stock motors at 10-12 PSI for over 100000 miles, I highly doubt that the CAI and Tune (Will prolly get a combo from AM. Btw who should I PM about a forum discount, Nick hasnt replied?) will hurt it. Im thinking that it might be worth holding onto the warranty just in case the T5 kicks off in the next three years, but w three years remaining how much do you think I could get for an opt out?

Maintenance he said would still be easy/ no hassles.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Ugh, extended warranties are a joke.
Little story for you. I paid $1500 for an extended warranty in 2003 on an Impala.
It had a clogged heater core that, wouldn't you know, was not covered under extended warranty.
Why?
According to GM, the core itself was fine. Since extended warranties do not cover fluids and it was coolant that clogged the core, they wouldn't touch it. I lived in Alaska at the time BTW; car with no heater there is extremely dangerous.

Bulbs in climate control went out. GM said no; bulbs aren't covered under extended warranty and the control works.
Bulbs in speedo went out...same story even though I couldn't see how fast I was going at night. GM didn't care since speedo technically "worked just fine".

Water pump went out. Extended warranty ONLY paid for the new pump. I paid for labor, fluids, gaskets, bolts, etc.

You get an idea now of what to read before purchasing any extended warranty?
I doubt there is much difference at all between what GM and Ford use for extended warranty companies.
See if you can sell it back; some places allow you to do so within a period of time.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

And for your $1500 you bought a water pump. Good deal...
Old 07-22-2011, 11:48 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Yep, dealers really push these things because they make a butt-load of money off of them. The finance guys also make a nice commission. When I bought my car the finance guy almost wouldn't let me out of the office without agreeing. I finally had to lock eyes and tell him absolutely not, and I'd walk out of the deal if he didn't take no for an answer. Almost every month I get a mailing from Ford that "time is running out" and I need to lock in that extended warranty. These things are profitable for the company for exactly the reasons Ricardo mentions.

Quick Reply: Questions about prepaid maintanence plans and warranties