Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An odd "NEW & USED" 2011 GT Premium, What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 04:10 AM
timothybh

Default An odd "NEW & USED" 2011 GT Premium, What's it worth?

Found an unusual new inventory at a local dealer. A NEW 2011 GT Premium, but with 5000 miles on it, from what I'm told. Only options are Auto and Security, Gray Metallic and Saddle leather. I thought 500 miles was a lot on a new car, but 5,000? I guess the dealer owner has been using it as a personal demo of some sort. Warranty would kick in the moment it's officially purchased, but does that 5000 miles immediatly subtract from the 35000 mile warranty?

Sadly, there's also damage:
A quick inspection discovered paint damage! On the back right bottom corner, something hit and chipping off a nickle sized piece of paint and with minor damage surronding it. Luckily, the gray metallic paint is close to the color under it, so it doesn't jump out. Then the black plastic bottom piece of the bumper has two marks the size of an eraser head, like something gauged into it, minor. So on top of the milage, it has some damage.

Budget:
My budget was putting at a V6 Premium with a friendly color like Kona Blue and Red Candy. Though, this gray metallic look nice. Gives it a strong look and reveals nice body detail without going too dark that some paints too, or too light. Even my brother's wife, who hates silver, liked it. It also has the saddle leather, which I like.

Haggle:
If this could be haggled down to a similar price of a new 2012 V6 Premium deal, maybe even lower, would it be smart choice to go with the 2011 GT Premium over a 2012 V6 Premium?

Old 07-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Coyote 5.0
1st Gear Member

A new V6 Premium with those two options stickers for around 28700. I would start at 25000 if you have to get close to the v6 price and your happy tell them you'll take it if they include an extended warranty!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:33 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Are those stock wheels and tires? Those look like 19" or 20" deep-dish bullitts, and from that angle the car looks like it might be lowered? I could be wrong but with that many miles who knows. I would opt for the GT if you can get the right price.

Last edited by kzonts; 07-30-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:10 AM
TAMPAGT07
2nd Gear Member

To be honest, I've looked at a few demo's throught the years, but I never bought one. I would rather buy one from a private seller and save a ton of money. You are still covered under the remaning warranty from a private seller and you could always purchase an extended warranty. Personally, I would not buy a demo..Just my two cents..Used is used, whether you buy it from a dealer or a private seller..
Old 07-30-2011, 08:47 AM
HenryinFlorida
1st Gear Member

And you can bet those 5000 miles, are hard miles. The warenty would still only be till 36,000, so an extended one would be a must for me. Hold firm on a nice low price. The dealer gets a write off for demo cars, so I say stand firm with your price. Remember, thw 2012 V6 has the same HP as the 2011 GT. for 2012 the V6 looks a lot like the GT anyway, with duals and all.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:58 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by kzonts
Are those stock wheels and tires? Those look like 19" or 20" deep-dish bullitts, and from that angle the car looks like it might be lowered? I could be wrong but with that many miles who knows. I would opt for the GT if you can get the right price.
Ya, crawl under and see if the OEM springs and or shocks are
still in place. The 5000 miles are most likely play with it miles
and hard at that.
Whats the service record look like?
Has it had an oil change yet?
I have had mine for bout 4 years and
it has NO body damage. Go figure.
The price will dictate the decision.
A V8 is a whole heck of a lot better than
a V6 if it can be had for the same price.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:00 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

It was a "demo" car. Meaning that the owner or someone at the dealership took it out and had A LOT of fun with it.

I was going to buy a 2009 "New" GT with 4500 miles on it because it was a "demo" car. The owner of the dealership apparently enjoyed the car and even took family vacations in it. The deal never went through. They were too **** trying to sell it to me as new even though at this point it should be considered pre-owned. Depending on how desperate they are, most likely they will give you jack crap compensation for the miles.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:41 AM
timothybh

Originally Posted by HenryinFlorida
And you can bet those 5000 miles, are hard miles. The warenty would still only be till 36,000, so an extended one would be a must for me. Hold firm on a nice low price. The dealer gets a write off for demo cars, so I say stand firm with your price. Remember, thw 2012 V6 has the same HP as the 2011 GT. for 2012 the V6 looks a lot like the GT anyway, with duals and all.
That's one thing I was worried about, how it was driven during the 5000 miles, especially car free as a toy. Didn't know about the write off or anything, first time really hearing about demo cars.

Though, I'm confused by your last statement. How can a 2012 V6 be the same HP (I assume horsepower) as the 2011 GT? Didn't look like HP changed into the 2012 year. The V6 still has 305HP and the V8 has above 400HP depending on fuel. Maybe I missed something.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:00 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HenryinFlorida
Whatcha talking about? lol The 2012 V6 has 305 horse and the 2011 GT has 412 horse.

In any case, OP, I'd say use your best judgement but unless they gave me a really good deal on this, definitely lower than V6 pricing, I'd walk from it. I'd also mandate that they fix the damage on the car because they're trying to half *** sell the thing as used. If you could get it for a steal then I'd say it's worth it, if they want a pretty penny I'd pass.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:29 AM
timothybh

Thanks for all the excellent advice.

I've never driven a muscle or performance car, so I wouldn't know how much to fight for a V8 over a V6. I know both will be a huge improvement over my 2002 Elantra GT that was my first new car (Only has 35000 miles on it, plan to trade it). 9.5 years later, the charm and excitment of my first new car is gone, and no silver this time around. At age 30, time for something fun, and luckily a Mustang is practical too. My first used car back in 2000 did have a V8, loved the sound. It was a 1977 Oldmobile Delta 88 Pace Car Replica, so not really a muscle car and I never pushed it. I do miss it, especially the fire red interior. Here's my online for-sale ad with photos from back in 2002, amazing that it's still up: http://ravepro.tripod.com/pace/

Coyote 5.0: Yes, $25k was what I was thinking as a good price for a V6 Premium and what to shoot for with this used GT. Thanks for mentioned to also ask for an extended warranty, didn't think about that.

Kzonts: I too was looking at the wheels wondering if they were stock. They look large, 19inches minimum, the people I was with thought 20inch or more. I found the online dealer ad with clear photos and a side view to judge if lowered. I attached those photos in the thread and included a link. Not sure what to think if it is lowered, what the pros and cons are, etc. Not something I'd want on bad roads.

TAMPAGT07: I wasn't sure I could find a good deal on a used 2011 GT with all the engine improvements. It seems like they demand a high price so I just stuck with new car for ease of mind, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. This dealer seems to be charging a lot for their used stock. Prices for 2006 V8 models that are close to a new 2012 V6. Here's a list of their used cars: Click for the dealer's online used Mustang inventory

157dB: Good idea to look under for any changes, not that I could spot it sadly. Yep, probably 5000 hard miles since it wasn't like they owned it and had to worry. Ask for service records is another good idea. Regarding damage, I guess you can go 4 years with no damage, or a day after buying someone hits it with a shopping cart. I know it will happen eventually, but hard to accept pre-existing damage on any new car when paying 25k or so. You'd want something pristine for at least a little while.

Alkemist: I'd hope a dealer when do their best to give you a great deal on a obviously used car. Very annoying to act as if still new with no wiggle room. My roommate bought a new Honda Fit, I think he got a discount just because it had a small amount of extra miles, like 18 or so total. If he was home I'd ask.

Here are some photos taken by the dealer a lot earlier in its life, and a link to their online ad:

Click for this demo car online ad with photos (taken before some damage)

Quick Reply: An odd "NEW & USED" 2011 GT Premium, What's it worth?