Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start and the car shutting off when you open the door?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:20 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

So in other words, just insert the key to unlock the door instead of using the fob?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:27 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

no, just don't remote start the car and immediately try and unlock the doors and don't touch the pedals until the key is in the ignition.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:47 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I don't have remote start, but I wouldn't want it to shut off once you open the door for the simple fact that everytime you start your car, it can cause unnecessary wear and tear on the engine/starter. I could be way off base, but I thought i remember hearing that the majority of wear on your engine occurs during the starting.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

We have 2 vehicles with remote start, they stay on until you get in and hit the brake pedal with out having the key in. There is no reason to have them turn off when you open the door, that would really suck in Wisconsin winters. One does time out in 10 minutes, so if you don't get back to it in 10 minutes it will turn off.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:10 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
We have 2 vehicles with remote start, they stay on until you get in and hit the brake pedal with out having the key in. There is no reason to have them turn off when you open the door, that would really suck in Wisconsin winters. One does time out in 10 minutes, so if you don't get back to it in 10 minutes it will turn off.
Yeah, see the cars I've ridden in, when you press on the brakes without the keys in the ignition, THEN it'd shut off...which would make more sense. Silly Ford.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:20 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Now for a remote driver to drive the remotly started stang....
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
I don't have remote start, but I wouldn't want it to shut off once you open the door for the simple fact that everytime you start your car, it can cause unnecessary wear and tear on the engine/starter. I could be way off base, but I thought i remember hearing that the majority of wear on your engine occurs during the starting.
Yes, it would cause additional wear on the starter. I don't think it would affect the engine. You are correct that there is generally additional wear on the engine when starting, but that is referring to a cold start. If you start the engine 30 seconds after it stopped, the oil hasn't yet drained back into the pan, so there's not the additional wear associated with a cold start.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 PM
epictwist
2nd Gear Member

From what I can tell, the reason it shuts off when you open the door is because of the "my key" feature. The car has to see a key when it's remote started, to avoid problems with the different settings of the keys it will make you start it again with your key so your settings are applied.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Yeah I've heard about that. I wonder if it's an easy fix. I read something about it disabling the MyKey feature if you remedy the car shutting off problem, but I don't even NEED MyKey. There are no kiddies at my house.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
What (besides warming/cooling the car for a few seconds) is the point of a remote start that just turns itself off?
Dunno, maybe some silly reason like a simple way of not letting a thief jump into your running car and being able to drive off in it?

I imagine that another layer or two of electronic complexity could solve that possibility, at some risk of it faulting to not letting you drive away in it either.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-11-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Remote Start and the car shutting off when you open the door?