Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to "cheat" inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:19 AM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

I agree with 808muscle... talk with some friends that have hot rods that aren't street legal and ask where they get theirs..
Old 08-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Find out EVERYTHING that any visual check will look for. As an example, in CA and some other places, LT's will fail the visual, just like having no cats will.

Be prepared to show any CARB or EO stickers or similar documentation for any of those aftermarket engine parts.

Norm
Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 AM
BlackBeauty4.6
2nd Gear Member

Wow that's a lot of hassle!! You could just move to Florida and do what the heck you wanted to it and be perfectly fine!!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:35 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

In Oregon the do the OBDII check as well. No visual inspection. I have the stock Saleen magnaflow exhaust, with CATS, running a 302 stroker (well 4.6 stroked to 302) and I pass just fine. First few times I went I failed, and then came to find out that despite mentioning I have to go through inspection, Brenspeed turned my rear O2's off in their tune. They wanted like 20 or 30 to turn them back on, but reminded them of my original request and they sent me a new tune free of charge.

If your rear o2's are off, you will NOT pass a proper OBDII check.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:06 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

My friend with a 2010 camaro just said they didnt plug into his car when he got it done last month..... thats weird, but I was going to buy the cats this way I dont have a problem passing, but I dont want to throw a CEL with the high flow cats....
Old 08-25-2011, 01:29 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

With a proper tune and cats, don't see why you'd still throw codes.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Why are you worried? You'll pass just fine. Put anti foulers on the rear 02's and make sure your turner has turned them back on. Borrow a OBD II scanner that has the "Emissions Ready" checker on it just to make sure you've driven enough.
This.

http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...n-foulers.html
Old 08-25-2011, 02:51 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Alright just got off the phone with Jim at JDM and he said my best bet is to just throw the stock system back on. He said yes they have tuned cars with high flow metallic cats, but they 99% of the time turn off the rear 02's on a car with LT's. He said with more and more states getting stricter with emisisons he suggests to just put the stock exhaust back. He said sure we can try and tune with the rear 02's on, but if your throwing codes your than going to have to deal with removing the headers and getting a tune. This car is my DD and I am 18 so I really dont have the time, nor another car, so I am just going to put the stock system back and maybe buy the Ford Racing throttle body to pick up a few hp I lost from removing the LT's.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:27 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

buy a cheap *** xpipe that will fit your long tubes and just cut the stock cats off and weld them onto the cheap X and you should pas no problem..I dont know if you wanna spend like 130bucks for a new X just to cut up and use once a year.
Thats one thing I like having mine as a toy..under 5k miles a year so i dont get any emission testing done..I get an exempt sticker and dont have to worry about my rear o2 off

Last edited by 05xrunner; 08-25-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Alright just got off the phone with Jim at JDM and he said my best bet is to just throw the stock system back on. He said yes they have tuned cars with high flow metallic cats, but they 99% of the time turn off the rear 02's on a car with LT's. He said with more and more states getting stricter with emisisons he suggests to just put the stock exhaust back. He said sure we can try and tune with the rear 02's on, but if your throwing codes your than going to have to deal with removing the headers and getting a tune. This car is my DD and I am 18 so I really dont have the time, nor another car, so I am just going to put the stock system back and maybe buy the Ford Racing throttle body to pick up a few hp I lost from removing the LT's.
You need to call someone else. You are about to waste a lot of time to remove a system that is perfectly capable of passing your emissions.

OBDII scan is only checking to see if you are throwing codes. Use O2 anti foulers and you won't throw any codes. You could even have your stock cats welded up to fit your current exhaust. I bought high flow cats and had them welded up so they are easily removable. The day after I passed I put the straight pipes back in. I had the same Pypes LT you've got.

As for the tune, Brenspeed did my tuning. The ONLY THING they did for me was give me a new tune with the rear O2's turned back on. That was the only change and I passed with freaking cams.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 08-25-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Any way to "cheat" inspection?