Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to "cheat" inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06stangGT
I've been trying to deal with this problem for 3 years now. I don't have headers. I have CAI , pulleys, pypes o/r H pipe.. currently I have brenspeeds tune with the rear o2s turned off. every year I have to take out the off road H pipe and install the factory pipe with cats. I have to load the emissions tune from them with the rear o2s turned on, drive it for 20-40 miles (depending on if you know how to do this) to reset all the monitors. once everything is in the ready state I have my tech inspect it, re install the off road pipe, re tune it.
I have non foulers installed. Purchased from brenspeed, and it still does not work. Now I do NOT have high flow cats installed. perhaps installing high flows from brenspeed into the off road pipe AND having the non foulers, is the next step to take without having to uninstall and reinstall the off road pipe each year
I have Pypes headers with Pypes hi flow cats and also use the non foulers on the cats O2 ports. I load up Brenspeeds emissions tune and I pass with flying colors every time. IMO, you shouldn't need non foulers on the stock Ford cat pipe. The non foulers are used mostly for those of us with headers and hi flow cats. You should pull those anti foulers out, disconnect the battery to reset the computer and start your drive cycle over again. I bought a cheap Actron 9125 code reader that displays monitor readiness status and displays all the monitors which have or have not completed their cycle. Worth every dime. Will save you multiple trips to the test center.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 AM
doofoo

LOL - Kinda funny to read all the issues people are having here..

I had a 01 Lightning fully built engine/trans around 600WHP - No cats, longtube headers, whipple 2.3l s/c, sounded like a nascar. I took it in for inspection, they plugged in the OBD2 port - Done! Passed!

Are you guys really pulling all your stuff off to go through emissions?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:52 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by doofoo
LOL - Kinda funny to read all the issues people are having here..

I had a 01 Lightning fully built engine/trans around 600WHP - No cats, longtube headers, whipple 2.3l s/c, sounded like a nascar. I took it in for inspection, they plugged in the OBD2 port - Done! Passed!

Are you guys really pulling all your stuff off to go through emissions?
Most do swap midpipes and tunes come emission time.

What state did you have that Lightning in?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by debit_free_2010
The surest way to prevent your failing for not ready O2 sensors is to have your tuner write them out of your tune.

I'm running an O/R X pipe and my I/M monitors are written out of my tune. When they plug the OBD2 reader in my catalyst status reads not supported and my inspection report sez passed.

Without cats you'll fail the visual so you'll need a shop that'll pass you and wont question why your monitors are NA.

The non fouler trick doesn't work as well on the S197 cars without making some tweaks to your tune to change O2 transport delay and heater duty cycle.
My tech looks pass the "visual problem" but the things Ive tried and the reputable tuning shops Ive gotten ahold of lead me to believe its nearly impossible with the S197 in NY. One shop I called in PA said they could take care of it no problem, once I said I live in NY, he said "no guarantees to pass there."
Old 07-16-2012, 01:26 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
IMO, you shouldn't need non foulers on the stock Ford cat pipe. The non foulers are used mostly for those of us with headers and hi flow cats. You should pull those anti foulers out, disconnect the battery to reset the computer and start your drive cycle over again.
I have the non foulers installed on the Pypes O/R H pipe, not the stock ford catted pipe.

Also Im not sure the inspection is the same there as it is here.

Someone told me to try and double up the foulers. Is it worth a shot ?

Last edited by 06stangGT; 07-16-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

My tech looks pass the "visual problem" but the things Ive tried and the reputable tuning shops Ive gotten ahold of lead me to believe its nearly impossible with the S197 in NY. One shop I called in PA said they could take care of it no problem, once I said I live in NY, he said "no guarantees to pass there."
A guy on another forum has an S197, KB blower, stage 2 cams, O/R H, the lot.

Passes in NY no problems.

im 99% sure your inspection is no different than MA:

Visual - Easy to pass
OBDII readiness checks
Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Sooo non foulers won't do the trick with longtubes and an o/r midpipe?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:09 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

I have the non foulers installed on the Pypes O/R H pipe, not the stock ford catted pipe.

Also Im not sure the inspection is the same there as it is here.

Someone told me to try and double up the foulers. Is it worth a shot ?
You can try doubling up the anti foulers. I just can't believe they're gonna pass you without some sort of cat on it. Surely the rich fuel smell of a catless system is going to alert them to look under your car and find the cats missing. Why don't you just put the stock Ford cat pipe back on and go take the test? You still have the factory cat pipe don't you? If not your going to need to buy some Pypes hi flow cats most likely. But why spend 200 bucks on cats when a pipe swap is do damn easy? I do it every year. It ain't a big deal.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:39 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
You can try doubling up the anti foulers. I just can't believe they're gonna pass you without some sort of cat on it. Surely the rich fuel smell of a catless system is going to alert them to look under your car and find the cats missing.
Lets face it, the visual is the easiest thing to pass, as long as you know the guy.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:36 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
Lets face it, the visual is the easiest thing to pass, as long as you know the guy.
Well here in TN we don't have the good ole boy system where you can take your car to just any shop where your mama's brother works and get it inspected. TN has dedicated and regulated emissions test centers. All they do is emissions inspections. They have cameras that monitor the process and will have you arrested if you try to bribe the testers. They take it pretty serious here.

Quick Reply: Any way to "cheat" inspection?