Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Diff Leak (a.k.a. - why FoMoCo is loosing a customer)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:02 PM
autos221
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
+1 Sympathy...

Yep its the 2005 S197 first year syndrome all over again.
The 2011 first year stangs should be avoided
unless you have sheitloads of cashola and lots
of spare time to drink dealership coffee and eat
dealership doughnuts.
Let the bugs get worked out and when the TSBs slow down,
then I might buy one....
Your dealership has doughnuts? FU!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:35 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

I guess now that I've done all this work on my 06' to make it way faster, handle way better, stiffen chassis, better braking, as well as look better and sound better, not to mention breath better, I don't feel so envious of the 2011's after hearing about some of the hick ups and problems.
My car has been awesome so far. With the exception of a couple of people that should have never claimed that they knew how to tune twin screw SuperCharged Mustangs, which most shops do not. Thats was all solved by an actual race car builder and tuner thank god. Erik
Old 09-04-2011, 08:46 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

It this the first car you have ever owned? First you ever saw venting diff oil?

Geez, I can count the number of wet vents I've ever seen. I start by making sure the diff isn't over filled, then I put a vent hose on it like thay did for 30 years before a cost cutting measure said it took too long to install a hose.

Last edited by wilkinda; 09-05-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Insulting stupid comments not needed.. you have been warned
Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

Are you sure about them not covering this for 2011s? My friend has a 2011 and got his leak fixed. I'd try again, or try a different dealership.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:02 AM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

Can the lemon law not help you out here?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:12 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by simpsonfan13
It's hard to use the lemon law when Ford can say what is and isnt a problem. For example burning oil so fast that you'd run out of oil before you could regularly change the oil, is clearly a problem with an engine....yet Ford doesn't believe so, so you're just sorta shafted there.

Sucks to hear what you're going through. These horror stories honestly get me paranoid from time to time. I'm glad to say I haven't had any problems with my '11 but I feel for you, your situation would just be a real pain.

I also find it funny that people are coming in here acting entirely unsympathetic lol. "Oh well, sucks, take a massive loss on resale and move on". Think of how it would feel if your car had some serious issues that Ford was telling you to eat the cost of, only a year after purchase. Let the man be unhappy, he deserves to be.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:57 PM
nightwing0707
1st Gear Member

i agree with everyone that says its part of buying a first year car. yes history has shown that for the most part when you buy a first year there tend to be issues and this doesn't only apply to ford. what i think is wrong is that ford acts like its not their problem, and basically tells you tough luck. whats the point of offering a warranty if all they are going to say is "that's normal".
Old 09-05-2011, 01:45 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Keep complaining about it; eventually Ford will revise the TSB to include the later models.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Gidyupp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
It this the first car you have ever owned? First you ever saw venting diff oil?

Geez, I can count the number of wet vents I've ever seen. I start by making sure the diff isn't over filled, then I put a vent hose on it like thay did for 30 years before a cost cutting measure said it took too long to install a hose.
No, not my first car venting diff oil. It's not wet or damp, it's dripping gear oil all the way to the back bumper. It's "only" $45 to fix, so no biggie, it's just the corporate mentality that gets under my skin.

The point is, they know it's a problem for 6 years running, knowing that 98% of their customers won't notice / care / etc. Fine, if that's what you have to do to keep the bean counters happy, then at least step up and help the 2% who have an issue.

I own a small business, I have bought in excess of 30 new vehicles over the past 20 years, so I'm no stranger to the process, I know that you have to have some level of tolerance or you will drive yourself crazy. In the grand scheme of things the vent is small potatoes, but I took it at a big FU from Ford that they couldn't take care of this in the name of customer satisfaction, particularly after all the bigger things (in my opinion) that they stuck me with on this car.

Don't get me wrong, I love the driving experience and the high performance / dollar ratio of the car, just not the car maker.

Or... maybe I set the bar too high.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Gidyupp
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by simpsonfan13
Nope, it's "normal" operation, I was cornering too fast.

They were on the 3rd time at bat repairing the fuel sender, they threw every part they had at it that time. They couldn't figure a way to claim that running out of fuel at a third tank was normal.

Quick Reply: 2011 Diff Leak (a.k.a. - why FoMoCo is loosing a customer)