Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Banger Mustang in 2015???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:19 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default 4 Banger Mustang in 2015???

Just got the latest Motor Trend and in it states;

"Word has it that the revival of the SVO model is in the works, this time using Ford's EcoBoost turbocharged four cylinder. This engine is slated to produce 247 horsepower from 2.0 liters and would serve the base Mustang well, though we are told Ford will increase it's displacement to anywhere from 2.3 liters (like the originial SVO) to 2.5 liters, with a power boost of course."
Old 09-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

For off-boost response, they'll absolutely HAVE TO shed some weight. My wife's Subie has 265 HP, pulling 3400+ lbs, and you need to keep it spinning above 2000 rpm. After that, it's fine, but I'm afraid that most Mustang buyers would be put off by poor low rpm performance.

Norm
Old 09-04-2011, 12:55 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I'd like to see what a forged motor with twin GT35R turbos/air water intercooler could to to that Mustang

..but then again, I'd rather have a built 4.6 over that 2.0 pecker-wood lulz
Old 09-04-2011, 01:06 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

With much more tighter mpg requirements in the future, this is how they are going to have to do it.

Also, the next Mustang is supposed to be a "World Car", sold in Europe and Asia, it will probably be smaller and would need a mix of smaller capacity high mpg motors like direct injected turbo 4-bangers.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:06 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I'd buy it. We'll see what happens but I'm hoping for something like this to occur.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:39 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SD 197
With much more tighter mpg requirements in the future, this is how they are going to have to do it.

Also, the next Mustang is supposed to be a "World Car", sold in Europe and Asia, it will probably be smaller and would need a mix of smaller capacity high mpg motors like direct injected turbo 4-bangers.
Yep according to MT, "Much of the chassisis carried over to keep costs down, but the 2015 Mustang will be shorter thanks to smaller overhangs and lighter to help performance and fuel economy. The 2015 Mustang will be the first ever to come standard with independent suspension and possibly torque vectoring."
Old 09-04-2011, 01:47 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i'd see the ecoboost 6 in it before a 4-banger. ive said before that i can see the cobra coming back with a TT-6 or a SVO badged car. i've also said that i had a ford engineer tell me that had the ecoboost 6 at well over 20psi in testing and the engine was fine. i just hope ford doesnt think they can jack the price up 5k and be ok because it has irs. i can tell you these cars get along fine with live axle as can many others.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:01 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i'd see the ecoboost 6 in it before a 4-banger. ive said before that i can see the cobra coming back with a TT-6 or a SVO badged car. i've also said that i had a ford engineer tell me that had the ecoboost 6 at well over 20psi in testing and the engine was fine. i just hope ford doesnt think they can jack the price up 5k and be ok because it has irs. i can tell you these cars get along fine with live axle as can many others.
The article did mention something about the EcoBoost V6; "Despite rumors, we expect Ford to skip the EcoBoost 3.5 liter twin-turbo V6, at least for the '15 Mustang's launch. In it's present form, it doesn't make enough power to take on the Chevrolet Camaro SS. Boosting the twin turbo's power to Camaro SS levels would mean the Ecoboost V6 would bump right into the 5.0 liter Coyote V8, which means the 5.0 would also need a costly power boost to make it viable."
Old 09-04-2011, 02:06 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
The article did mention something about the EcoBoost V6; "Despite rumors, we expect Ford to skip the EcoBoost 3.5 liter twin-turbo V6, at least for the '15 Mustang's launch. In it's present form, it doesn't make enough power to take on the Chevrolet Camaro SS. Boosting the twin turbo's power to Camaro SS levels would mean the Ecoboost V6 would bump right into the 5.0 liter Coyote V8, which means the 5.0 would also need a costly power boost to make it viable."
i hav ent read that story, Mt isn't always known for best guesses. anyhow, it makes no sense to say at one point the ecoboost 4 woudl come, but not the eco 6 because it doenst make enough power. the SHO is an impressive car for teh size. as it is the car will run with a 5.0 in teh qtr with a tune, i think it was lethal or one of them that tuned a SHO up. At anyrate, all it would take is an increase in boost. I'd wager at 20lbs that ecoboost v6 would make a beast of a stang. i also figure that fords idea of weight reduction will only amount to 100 pounds or so if the chassis is being carried over.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:13 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ShaneM I do agree that car magazines do not hold the absolute in what is to come. I guess we will all know come April 2014. I just hope the new design is not butt ugly.

Quick Reply: 4 Banger Mustang in 2015???