Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roush supercharger, at the track, very slow

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:52 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by esp3500
also it is a 5 spd with stock 3.55 gears I think.
But my 95 is also, and the difference is night and day.
Are you intercooled?

IMHO your asking to much from your set up. The S197 are smooth as silk at 5-7 psi. 380 hp in a 3700 pound car is not scary fast just fast. If you not intercooled and it gets hot it will pull timing like crazy. I used to run a 5psi non intercooled car and I am well aware of what happens sitting on line to get on the track.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:02 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Here is the story about my tune.
First I used the stock roush tune with the 5 psi pulley. It sucked.
Then I added the 7 psi pulley and bught a SCT tuner with Bama tune for this setup. still sucked.
Then I took it to to High spped perfomance and dyno and they dyno tuned it. still the same suck.
I can't believe all three tunes are that far off, so I am thinking something mechanical, because the car was a turd when I bought it, I just thought that was how a stock 4.6 ran and so I took it home and added the supercharger.
What would cause this kind of power loss without having drivability problems. ( I stand corrected. It does have a slight surge from 2000 to 2500 rpm ) but thats it.

also it is a 5 spd with stock 3.55 gears I think.
But my 95 is also, and the difference is night and day.
If it wasn't 'fast' right off the bat, you need to start there. Adding mods to a set up that is wrong will only cause more issues. Get back to where you saw the problem first so you know what to diagnose. When you say you used the 'Roush tune'... how did you get it? Also, due to the 'bought it used' part... did you get the injectors and EVERYTHING with it? Is your intercooler pump circulating properly? Air bubble blocking coolant in the intercooler lines? Vac/boost leak check?

Originally Posted by kenthicken
I can only go back to the basics, so forgive me if I point out the obvious / things you have already checked:

You are running at least 91 octane?
Is your boost gauge faulty?
You mentioned in the other post, you bought your supercharger used... there may be something wrong with it.
Good thoughts.

Originally Posted by ziperhead
Are you intercooled?

IMHO your asking to much from your set up. The S197 are smooth as silk at 5-7 psi. 380 hp in a 3700 pound car is not scary fast just fast. If you not intercooled and it gets hot it will pull timing like crazy. I used to run a 5psi non intercooled car and I am well aware of what happens sitting on line to get on the track.
Roush blowers are intercooled.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:25 PM
esp3500
1st Gear Member

Yes it is intercooled and the intercooler is working ( IE pumping correctly )
IAT reads under 150 deg at worse.
I run 93 octane.
I didn't really think of it as not fast when I bought it I thought that was the way they were stock. I had never driven one. and it is silky smooth so I didn't suspect a mechanical problem at the time.
as far as theree being something wrong with the SC, it is just an air pump so as long as I ahve the psi it is fine and it was a complete system ( ie injectors plumbing and all except for the tune. I sent the computer to Roush , they flashed it for me and sent it back ( that was the first of three times I had it tuned)
as for me expecting too much from it. there are many out there that have the same set up that would run circles around me.

and the race tune I have for it locks the timing so temp wont effect it. ( i have a street tune and a race to from the guys who last tuned it for me.)

The boost guage is from my 95 mustang so it is fine.

These are all great questions though, keep em coming.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

isn't the 95 Mustangs alot lighter? Also, how much boost were you running on that Mustang?

I have 10 psi on my V3 and if I were to put a 6-7 psi M90 on it, I am sure it would feel a lot slower as well...
Old 09-05-2011, 01:40 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

lol my slow intake/tune/4.10 ran an 8.66 on street tires. Are you sure you are using those slicks and not bogging out of the hole? My buddy's Roush w/pulley and intake put down 393 rw on an extremely hot and humid day.. he ran similar times as you on street tires. Also he raced a stock 2012 5.0 and was DEAD EVEN to 160+, so I'm thinking more boost is needed. I'm not sure how much those Roush blowers can push, though. When all else fails, add gear and make those slicks do work!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:08 AM
esp3500
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
lol my slow intake/tune/4.10 ran an 8.66 on street tires. Are you sure you are using those slicks and not bogging out of the hole? My buddy's Roush w/pulley and intake put down 393 rw on an extremely hot and humid day.. he ran similar times as you on street tires. Also he raced a stock 2012 5.0 and was DEAD EVEN to 160+, so I'm thinking more boost is needed. I'm not sure how much those Roush blowers can push, though. When all else fails, add gear and make those slicks do work!
You are correct. My brothers 05 with 4.10 and an automatic runs these numbers, no way this thing should be that slow.

It runs the same on street tires also. If this is all this thing has to offer the next post you all will see is For Sale.

But the nimbers just don't add up.

My 95 mustang is a couple hundred pounds lighter, but not THAT much.
and they are both running 7 psi boost. and because the 95 starts out 100 hp less than the 06 the 95 only dynoed atr 300 hp but had more torque then the 06.
something just doesnt add up.

I have way too much money in this thing to be going 8.7s
Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

as far as theree being something wrong with the SC, it is just an air pump so as long as I have the psi it is fine.
I don't know about that. There is a LOT that can go wrong with a blower unit.
One thing that jumps out to me is stock blower pulley should be 6 psi, a pulley swap should be 9 psi.
You mentioned you bought plugs apart from the kit, what plugs did you get?
Did you say you added a fuel pump?
Did you locate the cause of the surging? That might be a big clue in this problem.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:32 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Doesn't the M90 have a bypass that is supposed to operate at low RPM / low boost? Maybe this is faulty?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:31 PM
esp3500
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
I don't know about that. There is a LOT that can go wrong with a blower unit.
One thing that jumps out to me is stock blower pulley should be 6 psi, a pulley swap should be 9 psi.
You mentioned you bought plugs apart from the kit, what plugs did you get?
Did you say you added a fuel pump?
Did you locate the cause of the surging? That might be a big clue in this problem.
The stock roush charger for this car is 5psi but the 2.57 pulley takes it to 7psi and the 2.49 takes it to 8 psi, so the boost is right were it should be.
The first set of plugs were the ones that roush sent to me when they reflashed my computer for this supercharger. the second set was the same plugs I just had them already so I tried them.
The fuel pump is stock, but my tuner said it was plenty for my setup and it never went lean or to full duty cycle.
And lastly, the Dyno tune seems to have taken care of 90% of the surge.
Now haveing said that I have to admit it is not all gone, and the tuner said he had to work hard to get rid of that surge, so I am still thinking of it as a clue, you are correct.

Originally Posted by kenthicken
Doesn't the M90 have a bypass that is supposed to operate at low RPM / low boost? Maybe this is faulty?
Yes it does and I have disconnected it to take it out of the equation. No change.

I am sorry to be so much trouble guys, but you are all coming up with good ideas.
Dont give up on me Please.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:44 PM
esp3500
1st Gear Member

Default I took 2 other mustangs for a drive today

Ok, just to make sure I wasn't expecting too much form my car i went to a local dealer that had several used mustangs on their lot. I drove a 2009 and a 2007. ( and a 2012 5.0)
Niether was as strong as mine is now, but they feel better than mine did when I got stock.

Also, the surge didn't show up until the supercharger was added.
thats why I figured tune problem, but then 3 tuners latter I began looking at installation screwups but everthing checks out.

the car only has 37,000 miles on it. so I am still looking for the problem.

P.S.
If you haven't driven the new 5.0 you should, its nice. it has the right gear from the factory and good torque and a 6 spd so it pulls good all the way through. It wouldn't take much to make that car a true monster.
To bad I spent all my money on this one, I could have bought a basic 2021 for $32k I have $20k in this with the mods and all, And the only hting I like better about this one is I think the 05-09 look better than the new ones.

Quick Reply: roush supercharger, at the track, very slow