Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do replacement door subs matter without an amp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:10 PM
plouffedaddy

Default Do replacement door subs matter without an amp?

I have an 07 GT with the Shaker 500 stereo. The only thing that's not stock is a set of 5x7s I put in the front doors with just a little dampening material I had laying around...

I've read several threads on here about the Shelby sub replacements or the Pioneer shallow mount subs and everyone seems to say they need more power than the factory amp. (A little background on me---I used to be a MECP installer so I'll understand pretty much any term you throw out there if you should choose to do so) I fully understand they'll need more power to max their potential and I'll need to actually fully dampen both sides of the door when doing the install.

My basic question is: If you just drop in some aftermarket subs in the doors (with dampener installed) will it be a noticeable improvement in both low end performance and db level? I could throw an amp in but since I used to do all that stuff for a living back in the day I really don't like doing it anymore and am just looking for a little improvement. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:25 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

i had the shaker 500 setup.. and as you know the door subs are very weak.

I put Memphis 8's in my doors

my setup includes panasonic headunit... 3 200 watt amps with jl1 subs in the trunk and boston acoustics in the factory mounts... along with crossovers, etc...

the memphis 8's will hit so hard you cant see out of the side mirrors for the shaking... and they are very clear...

good luck
Old 09-18-2011, 08:34 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Looks like you put components in your doors and not 5x7s. I also used to be a car audio installer for a few years. I think adding subs to the doors would just cause to many rattles and shake the mirrors to much. I plan on adding components up front and 2-10's in the trunk. With the door subs just disconnected.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:40 AM
plouffedaddy

They're not really traditional components, they're these:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...kers/KFC-P680C

I'm sure the aftermarket subs would sound good with an amp; I'm really interested in what they'd sound like running on the factory amp... Keep the responses going though guys. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 PM
plouffedaddy

I was also looking at using these:

http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-6-5-Com...pr_product_top

I was thinking the 2 ohm and smaller size might help with the underpowered amp... Thoughts?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

from what i read years ago putting in aftermarket subs did make it sound much better, i believe the person who said that put kicker subs in with stock amps. As you know, after putting in aftermarket amps it sounded 10x better.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I still have all the factory speakers in my Shaker 1000, but after replacing the head unit with a Pioneer, all the subs hit way harder.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 PM
plouffedaddy

Baddog---did you just put the pioneer in and still use the factory amp? I'm thinking that may work because the signal to the amp would be a lot 'cleaner'.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:24 PM
roblee121
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
i had the shaker 500 setup.. and as you know the door subs are very weak.

I put Memphis 8's in my doors

my setup includes panasonic headunit... 3 200 watt amps with jl1 subs in the trunk and boston acoustics in the factory mounts... along with crossovers, etc...

the memphis 8's will hit so hard you cant see out of the side mirrors for the shaking... and they are very clear...

good luck
what model memphis audio subs to you put in your doors? and did you have to make a build out ring in order to have them fit? any pictures???? i am looking to upgrade my sound as well. and prefer memphis audio over anything
Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by plouffedaddy
Baddog---did you just put the pioneer in and still use the factory amp? I'm thinking that may work because the signal to the amp would be a lot 'cleaner'.
Yes, all I did was install the headunit, model 4200DVD I believe. Bass is much heavier and it let's me use other media like my iPod. I think if I replaced the speakers and door subs, it'd definitely improve sound without changing the amps

Quick Reply: Do replacement door subs matter without an amp?