Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #21
aloredo07
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 MUSTANG GT
Send a message via Yahoo to aloredo07

8178A- I didnt have my car that wknd. I had to swap cars with my friend cuz i needed his truck to muve some things and he was going out of town to LA which is almost two hrs away. he was driving on the freeway when it started.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
aloredo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #22
Boogiestang

Vehicle: 2005 GT

I had both cam phasers and lifters replaced on my 05GT with 63k on it. My ran fine but had a ticking sound like a lifter made back in the pushrod days. Take a piece of hose 3/4 or so size and put it where the cam phasers are and see if you can hear a tick or knock. My passenger side phaser was noisy as heck compared to the drivers side. Its alot of work to replace them but hopefully you can isolate the problem and solve it.
Boogiestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #23
8178A
3rd Gear Member

Again, I can’t tell for sure from the video, but isn’t the engine misfiring on one cylinder when the clacking starts? If it is misfiring on one cylinder the cause would normally be related to the given cylinder.

Brilliant Silver/Black, 5 speed manual, 3:55 gears, 18" wheels, Microsoft Sync and 93 octane tune configuration from Brenspeed. All original chalk car. Past Mustang owned, Black 07 GT Premiun, 5 speed manual.

Patiently waiting for Ford to design my next Mustang! Letís get with it Ford!

8178A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #24
The Alien
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT Convertible

I see that it's a really old post;

I have the pretty much same issue on mine, I didn't want to open another thread and I was wondering it this issue was fixed.

I have the same knocking noise as the video but not at idle. only when I apply load on the engine at 1500 rpm.

I use motorcraft oil 5/20
I supposed too it was a knocking rod but when I had this noise, the engine starts to have rough idle and I receive the code error p0345 (camshaft sensor circuit)
the alternator has been changed recently and the noise is not the alternator however

I'm going to open the valve cover to see the status of the lifters and the phaser cam.

do you have any suggestions on that? did you ever do this kind of repair? do you know if there are adjustable lifters or they are hydraulic? (I never opened a Mustang engine before, sorry )

thank you in advance guys , appreciated
The Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #25
aloredo07
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 MUSTANG GT
Send a message via Yahoo to aloredo07

I did get it fix. The mechanic told me it was the cam caps. He said they were busted and that I needed a new engine. I don't know how much of that was true but I had to get a new engine. The car runs fine now. I hope you car is not that bad
aloredo07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
The Alien
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloredo07 View Post
I hope you car is not that bad
mee too

I did other test and the noise disappears if I unplug the timing solenoids, so I suppose it's not so bad because without the VTCC the engine runs well.

I think it's one of the two cam sprocket, I'm ordering both to be sure and I hope to do the job next week, hopefully having time.

the noise is exactly the same but mine wasn't at idle, it was doing it only at a certain rmp range.

btw, I didn't open the cover yet and I need to check the cam lobes too (but I'm positive, I have to )
Old 06-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #27
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 4.6 gt with red leather

are these motors really that bad?
i'm getting a little worried here now
Old 06-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #28
The Alien
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker View Post
are these motors really that bad?
i'm getting a little worried here now
I don't have a lot of experience in these engines but I can tell that they are very strong. This is my first US engine and I was really astonished how it's working well at 94k miles, no oil leak or consumption, no power loss;

For what I see these knocking noise are loud but nothing serious if you take care without waiting too much.

In my case it should be something on the variable timing system and it seems something typical for them.

but I saw also european engines that don't last 50k miles and those cars cost a lot more than these
Old 06-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #29
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 4.6 gt with red leather

my company van has gone 250k miles with only a handfull of services..citroen diesel btw.
my stang has gone 18k miles..lets hope it lasts me 10 years or so of summer driving
Old 06-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #30
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker View Post
my company van has gone 250k miles with only a handfull of services..citroen diesel btw.
my stang has gone 18k miles..lets hope it lasts me 10 years or so of summer driving
Use quality oil, quality oil filters and change it often. The variable cam timing uses small screen in the solenoids that can get clogged and cause oil pressure loss to the cam phasers. Then you get the noise. Sometimes the solenoids themselves will fail, but it's not that common.

whipple HO SC,FRPP k springs, Pypes mid mufflers, hurst, frpp TB, 4.10's, spohn lca's, adj. UCA, relo brackets, 1 piece DS, spec stg 3+ clutch. 12.52@117.6mph so far with a 2.01 60 ft time

Pumpkin jacking addict
moosestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:19 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1999, 2005, 66, cobra, exhaust, gt, i6, knocking, knocks, mustang, prochamber, sound, svt, ticking, valve