Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOW THAT WAS A CLOSE CALL!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Default WOW THAT WAS A CLOSE CALL!

Every day I go to school I travel the same roads. There is one road that intersects with another just over a hill so that you can't tell if a car is coming up or not. Perfect spot for an intersection, right? Lol. Well the night before it rained and the roads were still wet this morning and almost caused me to get in an accident.. Sitting at the intersection I wait for a chance to make my left turn. When the road seems to be clear both ways I start to make my turn, just when I get halfway through my turn a car comes over the hill. Me, being someone that hates cutting people off, hits the gas a little harder to keep from cutting them off. I know, I know.. you are probably already thinking that wasn't the best idea.. Well I did it and the car started spinning and caused me to fishtail into the other lane (luckily there was no other car coming and the one coming over the hill was able to slow down). I corrected the car and let off the gas to get it to finally settle down.. I then SLOWLY put my foot on the gas and drove on to school shaking and nervous.

What a great way to wake you up in the morning!.. O.O

Well.. now that I got that lengthy story out.. What close calls have you guys had and how did you manage your way out of them?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

scary way to wake up in your nice car

1.Few years ago it had rained and was on my way home from school.
Was driving alitle fast through a neighborhood<yes I know, dumb idea>
went through a long left hand turn and my 240sx decided to show its drifting side and pulled a 180 on me, luckily no-one else was around.
2.Last year, same car and same drifting antics showed up again. During winter after snow storm, creeping along the road at about 25 if that, suddenly I'm going sideways then backwards in opposite lane and slowly go into the ditch.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:54 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah really.

Wow. That second one would probably make me park my car for a week! But that is why I don't drive in the snow. Lol.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Frodostang

Similar story to Lem-06-

Heading north on I-95 in a snow/ice storm. Going up a slight hill I feel the car start to slide on me. Luckily I'm in the right lane, and can turn into the skid. I think I went aroung 270 degrees, and ended up facing south on the north bound shoulder, looking at the guard rail in my rear view. Luckily there weren't too many other fools out at that time and I was able to pull back around and head off.

Interestingly, this was also in a 240SX.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:07 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

I think the general consensus is to not drive in the snow/ice. Lol.

There has to be more people that have gotten in close situations.. Come on guys and gals.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

I was reversing in what I thought to be an empty parking lot.
Turn the wheel, put it in drive, about to take off.

and bam, look to my left to see a giant concrete light post thing 6 inches away from my driver's side door.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:14 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
and bam, look to my left to see a giant concrete light post thing 6 inches away from my driver's side door.
Haha. Wow. Yeah I have had similar experiences. Backed up using all my mirrors except my rear view and almost backed into a Police car that was "illegally" parked.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:19 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I have soooooo many! One of my favorites to tell is when I still had my Pirellis that were so worn out, there was almost no distinguishable tread left on them (I kid you not). I was driving down the highway in a slight blizzard, and ice and snow was everywhere. There were alot of other cars, and my parents were driving in front of me. A black SUV cut me off, and within a minute he hit a patch of ice, swerved off the road, and flipped (in my mirrors). Then another car tried to cut me off, but came into my lane quickly, and went into the grassy median where there was what seemed to be about a foot of snow. Of course, not soon after, I sped up a bit to catch up with my parents, and as I lightly tapped the pedal, I lost traction, the rear swung out into the right lane, and I went straight into the median. I was able to pull out of the median and back onto the road without hitting anyone or anything, luckily enough. Let me take a moment to emphasize that I had barely tapped the pedal, and I was only going 35 right then to begin with. I could have easily kept going onto the other side of the road into oncoming traffic, could have easily taken out another car, could have easily wrapped my car around a post or sign, etc.

Another good one to do with my worn out Pirellis; I was driving to school one morning last year, coming out of my neighborhood onto a main street. There is somewhere around 3 inches of snow that had no yet been cleared off, and it was in the neighborhood of 20 degrees, so there was ice out there too. Anyways, I saw an opening in the slow, yet steady flow of cars. The next one coming was way off in the distance. I decided to make my move, and slowly pressed down on the gas pedal. I get to the point where I am in the middle of the oncoming car's lane and lose traction, TCS immediately kicking in and stopping me from moving any further. I step down harder, only to move anther foot or so. The car coming at me is really close, and is still going pretty fast, so I turn off TCS, slam my foot down, and jerk the wheel, in hopes that I would slide out of the way in time. And so I did, just barely. Unfortunately, in the split second it took for me to avoid getting T-boned by an SUV, I spun around almost 2 full times, up a curb and into the grass, with several cars now coming at me from my lane. I was lucky that the guy behind me (or technically in front, as I was facing him [backwards in the lane]) was able to stop. Drove to school with TCS off and driving as cautiously as I have ever driven in my life.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:33 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

^ That must have been intense. I'm still sticking with the idea of not driving in snow and ice. Lol.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I was on a narrow road and it looked like a flat stretch ( I drive on this road all the time I should have known it wasn't flat.) I was behind someone going about 40 mph and I went to pass. When I was going to the other lane I saw a Cobalt was in that lane. I still had plenty of time to get back behind the slow car though. But I had just detailed the car and the tires were wet. When I went to get back into my lane I must have over corrected, because I lost control and my car started spinning. Luckily I didn't go to the other lane I ended up on the side of the road. It was a miracle I didn't hit a tree or another car.

Needless to say that stopped me from doing anymore stupid *** stuff. Especially on narrow roads. My leg was shaking so bad I couldn't even push in the clutch.

Glad nothing happened OP! That could have been bad.
But its a lesson learned, I bet you'll never do it again.

Quick Reply: WOW THAT WAS A CLOSE CALL!