Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous thoughts/opinions and suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:29 PM
BlackBeauty4.6
2nd Gear Member

Default Nitrous thoughts/opinions and suggestions

Ok I have a question about nitrous kits.. I would like serious suggestions and facts please.. No dawging or there's goes your motor comments.. I'm not throwing a 150 shot or anything like that I'm wanting to do a small safe shot like zex 35hp shot or something until I'm more comfortable with it then maybe a 75 shot later at the most.. I know you need cooler plugs but any other facts or stuff I should know like te rpm range to get it set for and anything else I might need.. Also how is the installation?.. I've looked through the search but really couldn't find my answers so I would appreciate the good advice and knowledge please
Old 10-07-2011, 03:49 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

You will hardly notice a 35 shot at all.... I ran a 125 shot on my 06 GT without any issues. It does get really expensive. Nitrous does not last that long if you're using a decent size shot. I think my 125 shot lasted like 90-100 seconds. Then you spend another $40 - $50 refilling the bottle. I did this about 5 times, then said screw it... saved up money to buy a turbo kit (which i did and is still sitting in the garage uninstalled). Then I made the decision to go with a GT500 that is fully built to withstand higher power levels.

So nitrous is fun..but adds up $$ very quickly.. if you do low shot like 35 it really wouldn't be worth it IMO.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:03 PM
BlackBeauty4.6
2nd Gear Member

Wow I didnt realize it went that quick so basically 5 runs with it at the most and it's done?
Old 10-07-2011, 05:54 PM
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

well not if you're running a smaller shot... if you do a 75 shot you'll probably get almost twice that...
Old 10-07-2011, 06:07 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

It does get pricey quickly. Kind of annoying more than anything. Having to get it filled becomes a pain. Plus accessories like a bottle heater. Makes a big difference. As you're on the spray, the bottle gets cold and the pressure decreases quite a bit. Before you know it, your 125 shot is down to like 60. You also don't get the same power every run. The first few on a fresh bottle are stronger. It is fun though when it's there.

I agree that a 35 wouldn't be worth the time or $$.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:20 PM
JimC

Nitrous is a LOT of fun on the car - I ran a 75 shot for two season on my 4.0. Then having to fill the bottle, find a place to fill the bottle early or late in the season, and the expense each time I went to the track made me decide to go with the supercharger.

With the 75 shot I could get about 10 passes before I couldn't keep sufficient pressure.

Properly tuned nitrous is not going to blow up your car or engine - despite what people see on the "fast and furious" movies.

You need more than the bottle and jets thought.

Get a heater, in the evening or spring and fall race dates the bottle will cool off quickly and you lose pressure without a heater. Do NOT heat it with a propane torch - that will weaken the bottle.

Get a window switch too. One of the issues with nitrous is spraying at too low an RPM - not good. Even though the Zex kit says it will learn wide open throttle, don't trust it. I didn't have my window switch installed yet and left it armed as I was staging - pre staged, brought the idle up to 1800 and the kit read me at WOT and fired off. After that I put the window switch on so it would keep the Zex from seeing the signal until I passed 2400 RPM and then it would "open the window" and let the kit see the signal for WOT.

I still think every once in awhile that a small shot would be great - just that kick that the nitrous gave. Unfortunately on the 4.0 dual power adders do not play nice together and no one has successfully run with a supercharger and nitrous or turbo and nitrous for long. It isn't the nitrous though, rather the combination that is too much.

Nitrous does hit the engine a little harder, but like I said, I had it on the 4.0 for two seasons. Then with 90,000 miles on it I pulled the nitrous and put the supercharger on. Sitting at 185,000 miles now on the stock block and internals.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:08 PM
BlackBeauty4.6
2nd Gear Member

Yea I know nitrous is safe I'd set right.. And I planned on getting the window switch but question the heater since I live in Florida but will probly get it anyways.. I would like to find a kit that someone had already and would sell it cheaper then 700$ but I love nitrous and I don't have the money for anything like a s/c or a turbo.. I just want something else for some extra *****.. I wanted cams and longtubes which im still leaning towards but i don't know which is more safe to go with.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 PM
JimC

Didn't notice the Florida location - you might be able to get away without a heater, but they are relatively cheap so if you happen to get a cool evening it would be a good thing to have available. I was surprised how quickly the trunk cooled down in the evening with a black car and bright sun during the day; pressure fell off really quickly.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:20 AM
BlackBeauty4.6
2nd Gear Member

Yea I'll probly get a heater anyways.. But I know it's about the same price for cams as a whole nitrous setup I just don't know which one or which is better/safer to go with.. But like I said I love nitrous so you say it's a good mod?!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:08 PM
JimC

Nitrous was great - but my supercharger is much more consistent and quicker than the nitrous was. The expense for each track visit on nitrous though was getting to mount up.

Quick Reply: Nitrous thoughts/opinions and suggestions