Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011/2012 issues holding anyone back??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:30 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Honestly I'd still stick it out with the ride you have. The faster you cave on wanting an upgrade, it's going to be a trend you feel for the rest of your life and it's gonna empty out your pockets pronto lol. If the rear end gives you problems in the future, just take it back to the same dealership and give them hell about it. You have a whole lot of money sunk into the ride at this point and on top of that, depreciation is slamming you at its hardest at this point in time.

I know I eye cars, trucks etc and the like as future upgrades, but I know I have to always tame those urges and realize that I have an awesome car and I shouldn't afford any upgrades for a long-*** while. I technically have the means to upgrade, but I know that if I get in the habit now I'm going to make myself broke over time. I'm hoping that when I get out of college, if I land a solid job, my first acquisition is going to be a nice pickup, an SVT raptor perhaps if the prices come down as they put on some more miles. IMO though it's better to secure a strong line of income first before trying to make those jumps up the most expensive ladder there is lol.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:59 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I get what you are saying, man I honestly do, but my parents payed for my 2010 (I pay for gas, mods and insurance) and my father is willing to trade my 2010 in on a 2012 so its not affecting me really. I took him to the dealer with me cause I wanted to see what they would give me on a trade, and he ended up falling in love with the cali special I test drove and wanted to put a $10k down payment on it if I really wanted it. (Its race red and hes a sucker for red mustangs lol). My monthly payment is actually going to drop with the $10k+ down payment so its technically easier on them and they will always be ahead on the payments and not upside down like we were for the first few months on the 2010. So financially it will put them in a better spot from the beginning.

I really just want to know if the tranny issue is something I should honestly watch out for. I mean I am considering just keeping my 2010, but it would be nice to have a FULLY LOADED 2012 GT/CS with a manual (I wanted a manual in my 2010 but couldnt find one in GB). I am going to post up on a few more forums and see what happens.

You dont have the engine tick issue do you?

Last edited by grabber blue gt; 10-19-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:19 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
I get what you are saying, man I honestly do, but my parents payed for my 2010 (I pay for gas, mods and insurance) and my father is willing to trade my 2010 in on a 2012 so its not affecting me really.
Must be rough

If money is no object and you can trade a car in every year or two go for it!

pdonket is right though...you'd be better off holding on to what you've got for awhile.

If I was you...I'd get a decent job, pay the difference, and buy a Boss302 or Shelby....OR....I'd hold off and see what the NEXT big thing is from Ford and either buy it or get a deal on the previous model year.

I bet Ford is going to freshen up the Mustang before the all-new redesign...maybe with a nicer looking rear-end. I'd wait, but that's just me.

FWIW, I got my 2010 GT knowing good and well the "5.0" was on the way and haven't regretted it one bit! So I'm a couple tenths of a second 0-60 slower...I'll wait until the bugs are worked out of the new ones then trade.

Lastly, you couldn't pay me enough to get another manual until I'm SURE Ford has gotten their $hi@ together. The Tremecs suck-@$$ whether they're in a Mustang or a Camaro and it sounds like the China-6 isn't any better. The only reason I traded my 2008 in on the 2010 was that I couldn't wait to have a car that went into gear in the morning...and the auto shifts WAAAAAAAAY faster than a notchy manual.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:05 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

No, I honestly didnt want my parents to put a down payment like that, but my father is willing to and tells me not to worry about it. If I trade this in, it will be the last time until I graduate college and can buy a new stang ON MY OWN.

I posted on a few other forums where the 5.0's are very popular so I will see what they say. So far there are very few issues on here which is good, but there are other forums where A TON of people are having issues. So far the gov. is getting involved, so maybe it would be better if I held off if I really wanted the manual, or just go for the loaded grabber blue cali special with the auto.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

For me, I wasn't in a situation where I faced the decision of possibly getting a ride that would have a craptastic transmission, only because I put my order in early enough that there wasn't anything out there saying that the manual was potentially going to be so bad.

I got an auto by choice, and partially because at the time I had nobody to teach me to drive stick so I was somewhat forced into it. Personally I'm the worrying type, and had I known there was a risk, I might've been hesitant to buy the new 5.0 with a manual. I know it's not common, but as people have said, when the issue lands on you, it's a miserable experience that you now just poured money all over.

As for the money thing, I'm not so much saying that you'd specifically be worse off financially right now, but it's more that if we get used to a pattern of really awesome things (upgrades very often) then later on in life when it's all our money, you're still going to have that urge and may not have the financial tools to afford it. Also keep in mind that even if those monthly payments drop, there's still that $10,000 down that's out of pocket. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mean to make you feel guilty at all here, but mostly just something to really think about before pulling the trigger. Honestly I know part of me always feels wrong driving around my really nice car at my age even if I do feel like I certainly got the money I bought it with fairly. Either way I think it's a win win situation here. There's no bad outcome so try to keep that in mind.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:21 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
My father and I went to the dealer the other day, and he wants me to trade my car in on the 2012 Race Red cali special they have sitting on the lot. I REALLYYYYYYYY want a manual (test drove it and LOVED it), but the tranny issues have me worried.
Hey hey!

It really comes down to what you would be happiest driving. That's what matters, isn't it? Be assured, while symptoms may be similar, the causes may be different, and many have been resolved. Let us know what you decide.

Originally Posted by JimmyM
My clutch is ****. Notchy in 85 degree weather in middle of August, random grinds into 3rd and 5th, clunking sound going into 2nd, locked out of 4th on freeway a bunch of times, blah blah blah. I have everything short of gear whine, but I think that's only because GT's are the ones prone to that problem.
Hi JimmyM,

I'm glad you haven't let the shifting sway your opinions. Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help.

~Natasha
Old 10-19-2011, 01:55 PM
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't hold that response from FordCustSrvc that "many have been resolved"

Post 1 user that had their transmission issue resolved? Anyone? Anyone at all? No? Ok, good.

This is my second transmission. My first one crapped out 2 blocks down the road, no second gear. This one is grinding at it has rough shifting all year round. Do you want to know what my Service Manager told me? Lemon it. There's no fix and there's no fix coming. They don't know what the problem is (or they do but won't tell) and they keep trying to fix the wrong parts. No resolution in this problem.

There are MULTIPLE problems with the MT82. It's a hit or a miss, really. I'll say that about 70/30 are good/faulty. If you want to play the odds, go for it. I wouldn't touch this again if I knew what I would go through. Oh, and I got the engine tick as well. And I had the creaking suspension go out, my horn, my electric trac seat, my O2 sensors etc. etc. with 1 year of ownership. Quality control much?
Old 10-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Tex-stang
2nd Gear Member

Take the gift and enjoy your wonderful new mustang. Life is short so enjoy it and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

All of the problems that I have seen have been on 2011's, I dont recall any problems on 2012's.

Occasionally I get locked out of 3rd gear, but it is very rare, could be drivers error who knows.

Remember, you also will have a new warranty, do you plan on heavily modding the car?
Old 10-19-2011, 02:37 PM
ssimaniac
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maraman
All of the problems that I have seen have been on 2011's, I dont recall any problems on 2012's.

Occasionally I get locked out of 3rd gear, but it is very rare, could be drivers error who knows.

Remember, you also will have a new warranty, do you plan on heavily modding the car?
2012's have the same issues. Nothing was corrected. And whats the warranty for if they can't fix it? Beats the purpose of it.

Quick Reply: 2011/2012 issues holding anyone back??