Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That's right...another winter storage thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Chris06GT
1st Gear Member

Default That's right...another winter storage thread

It's about that time of year here in Ontario.....

Please bear with me, I've looked through the other threads about this, but still have some lingering questions.
I used to store my 06 GT in a semi-heated apartment building garage, up on jack stands, battery in, just some Stabil in the tank.

This year, I'll be storing my 12 GT in an unheated, uninsulated garage. I guess since I've never done this I want to make sure I'm not doing more damage than good...

- Do I need the jack stands? I've heard tires these days won't flat spot, but I can't find anything definite. Maybe the suspension would be better off loaded?
- If not jack stands, how much carpet or cardboard (ie just one piece or should I stack some up) should be under the tires? It's a concrete floor.

- If not jack stands, should I put extra air in the tires to help prevent flat spots?

I'll be putting the battery in the house where it's warm, Stabil in the tank again and not running it from late November-ish to April-ish.

Thanks....as always
Old 10-31-2011, 12:41 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Good questions. Because it will probally be another bad winter in Germany. Right now, my wife's family is kind enough to allow us to store the mustang in their house garage. My concerns are with the tires and battery. My brother-in-law is a Mechanic so I'm sure he knows what needs to be done so hopefully all should go well.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:12 PM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris06GT
It's about that time of year here in Ontario.....

Please bear with me, I've looked through the other threads about this, but still have some lingering questions.
I used to store my 06 GT in a semi-heated apartment building garage, up on jack stands, battery in, just some Stabil in the tank.

This year, I'll be storing my 12 GT in an unheated, uninsulated garage. I guess since I've never done this I want to make sure I'm not doing more damage than good...

- Do I need the jack stands? I've heard tires these days won't flat spot, but I can't find anything definite. Maybe the suspension would be better off loaded?
- If not jack stands, how much carpet or cardboard (ie just one piece or should I stack some up) should be under the tires? It's a concrete floor.

- If not jack stands, should I put extra air in the tires to help prevent flat spots?

I'll be putting the battery in the house where it's warm, Stabil in the tank again and not running it from late November-ish to April-ish.

Thanks....as always
I don't bother with jack stands...I just put 2 layers of carpet squares under each tire to prevent flat spots developing. Worked like a charm for several cars over the years.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:32 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Throw on some cheap tires and keep the good ones inside (like in a laundry room or closet or something)

I drive mine through the winter (not when it snows or rains) and never seem to have any issue, tho.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:42 PM
stiggy
1st Gear Member

just put in some fuel stabilizer, and a battery tender. If you are really **** like me I put down a tarp underneath to stop moisture from coming up and a cover over it (hate wiping that deadly dust off lol). Don't jack up the car, the suspension needs to be loaded! I over-inflate the tires a little for peace of mind on flat-spotting and its been fine.

Fyi; been stationed by the Army in Germany for 2 1/2 years now and went home once after a 1 1/2 year car storage stint. Fired up fine and was all well (though my father took off the battery tender and I came to it dead lol). Other than that it now sits still in my garage awaiting my return when I take it to Ft. Campbell, KEntucky.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:03 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

Where are you at in Germany Stiggy???
Old 11-01-2011, 05:10 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

This may be highjacking some, but is there any difference in summer storage? I have my dream car of a 1980 corvette that I drive in the summer, so the mustang goes to the garage.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Chris06GT
1st Gear Member

I would expect that summer storage would be the same, just warmer. Who ever heard of a Mustang as a winter car anyway?

Thanks to the rest for your suggestions. Must appreciated.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 PM
stiggy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by a_lopez1975
Where are you at in Germany Stiggy???
Landstuhl, Germany. The army hospital right nest to Ramstein Airbase
Old 11-01-2011, 12:43 PM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

@Chris. Good post because I want to make sure I do the right thing as well for the winter time ;0).

@Stiggy: Oh ok. I'm in Hohenfels (near Nurnberg)...

Quick Reply: That's right...another winter storage thread