Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Tire sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:15 AM
chris0549
1st Gear Member

Default Snow Tire sizes?

Right now I have the elanor style rims that are 16x9 and p215/65r16 tire size. Im looking to get snow tires and wanted to know is that tire size the only size I should look for or can it be a different size ans still fit? Also if you have snow tires are they worth it?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 PM
drakefamily2
1st Gear Member

I'm putting snows on mine this winter. Didn't have them last winter and car was a handfull last winter. Thats the size I'm putting on.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:37 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

I always wondered, will the snow tires really make a difference? Unless you have summer tires on of course... I read somewhere that on certain types of ice at certain temps all season tires might actually get more traction plus the traction is better on dry surface of course... So is it worth spending $$$ on snows for the Stang? So far my answer is no...
Old 11-17-2011, 12:47 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

16x9? Probably more like 16x7 I would stick with OE size. And winter tires do make a difference
Old 11-17-2011, 10:39 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

i dont have winter tires, but i know many who do and they all swear by them. as mentioned above, certain ice conditions will actually provide even better grip. some recommend that you only use those tires when there is snow on the road, or a major winter storm looming. my plan this upcoming year is to buy nice rims and put nice tires on them, and then use my stock rims for the winter tires. that way i can swap things out when needed.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:55 PM
nickb2236
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
i dont have winter tires, but i know many who do and they all swear by them. as mentioned above, certain ice conditions will actually provide even better grip. some recommend that you only use those tires when there is snow on the road, or a major winter storm looming. my plan this upcoming year is to buy nice rims and put nice tires on them, and then use my stock rims for the winter tires. that way i can swap things out when needed.
+1. That’s my plan too if I can convince my wife to let me buy new rims & tires.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

the debate with my wife is pretty easy since my mustang is my daily driver, even through the winter haha. "i can either die, or have safe tires ::cough with super cool rims ::cough" haha
Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

How bad does it get for you guys who invest in snow tires? I mean if it snows ONCE do you buy them? i dont really have a choice since i'm broke right now because I would have to get another set of rims.

I'm in central Oklahoma, and yes i've seen snow before. Last year we had two snow storms and one of them was a straight blizzard where I was stuck inside for about 5 days before I could attempt to drive with my FWD car. 1 foot deep snow. The snow was outside for nearly 2 weeks before it was all melted. However, school and work was cancelled for the worst part of it. By the time school was re-initiated, most of the snow had melted, just spots of it were on the street. Essentially I had to drive on half snow and half pavement for 1-2 days. This is how it is every year it seems. A couple of days of snow, and my commute to work and school is barely even 2 miles. Just hope my "max performance summer" tires will hold up That's the best I could do with 285 wide wheels.

I'll simply e-mail teachers and boss that I have a RWD car with summer tires, lol. I've driven a RWD luxury sedan in thick snow, I got stuck after my first stop sign.

Last edited by Jas5; 11-18-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:32 AM
brutedawg20
1st Gear Member

I have run winter tires the last 2 winters on my mustang. I got 4 01 GT rims from a guy at work for the snow tires.
I would recommend a separate set of rims dedicated for snow tires. you dont want to take tires on and off rims too much. It can stretch out the sidewall of the tire and possible mar up your rims.

I usually put my snow tires on when its consistently around 40 degrees or colder, they stay on until spring.

They make a huge difference. I put a few sand bags in the trunk too, also helps.

Originally Posted by nickb2236
+1. That’s my plan too if I can convince my wife to let me buy new rims & tires.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:03 PM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

I recently looked into new winter tires for my truck. Personally, I don't drive the Mustang in the winter, cause I can and have another car. Winter tires are recommended at 44 degrees F or 7 C. As the temperature drops, it just gets more important for the right tire.

If you have NEVER had winter tires, you don't know what your missing. I have driven on "All Season" and "All Year" and Winter tires and there is a huge difference.

Remember that "Winter" tires, at least in Canada must have the "Snowflake" triangle on them to be considered Snow tires. Having said that, "All Seasons" don't have that logo. However, "All YEAR" tires such as the Nokia Happkelitta tires made in Sweden do.

I have used these tires on two other vehicles, Honda Civic and Dodge Durango. They are a great tire for "All YEAR". They are very very good in the winter. My Daughter drives the Civic in the winter and they are terrific.

A "Winter" tire is very specific and usually has a softer compound to it like the Blizzaks. Great tire but if your running on dry pavement all year, they are going to wear prematurely. But if your in snow and especially ICE a lot, they are for you. Yokohama makes a good tire for winter as well as Hankook. I have both on other vehicles this past winter and they worked great.

Bottom line here is that a Winter tire is the way to go for ultimate safety and control. Once you have used Winter tires, you will understand. If you only have snow/ice once or twice a year, then it's a decision you have to make on whether to buy rims/tires specific to winter or not. For us here in Alberta where it's cold and snowy for about 7 months, it's a no brainer.

FYI, Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct are the best bets I have found for tires in the U.S... Canada too but you can't get the Nokia tires through either on, you must get them through Kal-Tire here in Canada at about TWICE the price.

Hope this helps. Good luck and stay safe.

Quick Reply: Snow Tire sizes?